Raptor Forum banner

Which oil filter are you running?

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Spanks906 
#1 ·
I just ordered a few K&N oil filters for our 660's and was wondering what everyone else is running. I usually run OEM but K&N is about $7 cheaper...Now I know thats not much if it saves my engine but if they are as good or better than OEM why not spend the extra money on gas :D

What do you guys think?

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
K&N

#4 ·
Ya dude there is no reason to pay more for oem when i bet k&n is better. Oem is always more expensive.

#5 ·
I've been running K&N, but I just ordered four of the Neutron Safe Guard filters from RMATV to try, they got excellent reviews, as good as K&N and OEM both, and the price was much, much better. $3.99 a filter. They are closeouts, so if anyone is interested, I'd jump on them while they still got them, lol.

#9 ·
Damn it!!! Why didn't I think of that? LOL

#10 ·
Thanks for the input...I think Im going to like the K&N. Especially the easy removal!

#11 ·
STP for the early Mazda Miata - cheap, perfect fit and an absolute color match to the blue frame.

#12 ·
Mines 2004 Red...:(

#15 ·
?? Bolts ??

You mean the washers under the bolts? No need to get rid of the bolts and I usually re-use the washer unless they're torn up.

#16 ·
I run the K&N oil filters as well. I know a lot of guys use automotive oil filters on their raptors. The down side to this is automotive filters have a lot higher by pass pressure. If the oil filter gets pluged up there is a bypass valve that opens so you dont starve the engine of oil. The raptor doesnt even produce as much oil pressure that most automotive filters would consider normal oil pressure. There is no way the raptor's pump would build enough pressure to open an automotive filter's by pass valve.

#19 · (Edited)
The down side to this is automotive filters have a lot higher by pass pressure. If the oil filter gets pluged up there is a bypass valve that opens so you dont starve the engine of oil.
Agreed - BUT we don't leave the filter in for 5000 miles, either... at the rate we SHOULD change them, they'll never come close to plugging up. If, however, you have a tendency to leave your oil and or filter in for a very long time, this IS an issue...

Of course, if the bypass OPENS you're now running unfiltered oil so, as far as I'm concerned, you're screwed either way. Unfiltered oil vs. no oil... guess the first is better, but not by much. Change the oil and filter often, instead.

#18 ·
Amsoil Ea filter. Comes in chrome so looks great and last forever. Run it in my suv also

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.