Raptor Forum banner

Is there a starter recall on 09 raptor 250?

19K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  josh miles 
#1 ·
I replaced the starter and idler gear on my sons raptor 250 about 6 weeks ago.The starter was making a horrible noise when trying to start the bendix had alot of wear along with the idler gear so i replaced both the starter and gear at the same time. Well i just bought my son a set of maxxis razrs for christmas and just put them on well now the first time he has tried to ride it the starter is making the same noise so i pulled the side cover and now the bendix and gear even look worse then the last time.I have read a couple forums with similiar problems saying there was some sort of recall.I have also seen where it could be the one way starter clutch any help would be greatly apprieciated.Thanks Jason

#2 ·
Yes, there is a recall on the starter and gears. I have an 09 and the local dealer did mine about a year ago. They replaced a few gears and the starter. The service manager also told me they replaced the pilot jet to help with starting. I recently got the GYTR jet kit and went to install it. The pilot they put in at the dealer was the same 27.5 pilot in the GYTR kit. I did not pay a penny to have it done and my warranty was expired.

#4 ·
Is this just for the '09 or does it carry over to the '10 too?

#8 ·
My sons 2008 Raptor 250 has been having the same starting issues as others have mentioned, so I called the Yamaha dealer about it possibly being recalled and he only needed the VIN # to find out if mine was covered.

He told me it was not a recall, but actually a Service Bulletin #090VL and they'll replace the necessary parts (gears, starter, etc.) at no cost to me.

He also mentioned that this Service Bulletin will expire around mid September 2014, so if anybody is having issues then you might want to hurry and get it fixed.

#10 ·
Wish I saw this a month ago. I had the starter gear recall done on my Honda 450ER a few years ago. It had been "expired" for a couple of years but the dealership did it anyway. They said they don't ever actually expire, the dealer just has the option of doing it or not. Hopefully Yamaha is the same way.

#11 ·
Does anyone have any info on why the wear on the idler gear? Bought an 08 250 for my daughter at Christmas. Within 3 weeks had to replace the starter and the idler gear because it was all chewed up. Found the info on the recall on this forum so checked w Yamaha parts dealer. Too late for recall work but made sure to get the parts specified in the service bulletin/recall. Now, 4 months later we have the same problem. $400 for everything last time... Is there something that we need to do to not make it wear like that? It chews up all the gears on the starter, too. Thanks so much for any advice!

Attachments

#12 ·
I'm not into 250 but I can share some ideas with you. I suspect the bendix gear is jamming into the side of the idler. You may be able to knife edge the teeth on both with a dremel. This will decrease the flat part of the gears and allow quicker engagement. Also, if the idler isn't lubed by motor oil, grease it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.