Please help

• wwwwwwww

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • xxxxxxxxxxx

Votes: 0 0.0%

Raptor 660 Charging and Running Problems

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  willykiller 
#1 ·
I have a Raptor 660 and the battery is not wanting to charge. The stator seems to test fine but the battery won't charge. Just put a new starter relay in. Also when I bought the bike from this guy he has a jumper wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the yellow and black wire coming from the starter relay. Without that wire the starter button on the handlebar doesn't work. Now to the motor. I was riding the other day and my thermostat stuck shut. The bike overheated and blew a hole in the thermostat housing hose. I have fixed that problem but now my bike makes many different knocking noises from the motor and it burns oil like crazy. I have smoke coming from the exhaust. I don't know if that is oil or coolant. I would really like some help with this so I don't go blow a ton of money and not fix the problem.Thank you.

#2 ·
I have a Raptor 660 and my battery is not charging. I have tested the stator and it seems to be fine. I only have 7 volts to the battery and it is a new battery. The guy I bought the 4 wheeler from also has a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the yellow and black wire coming from the starter relay. I also put a new starter relay in. Without the wire the starter button on the handlebars doesn't work. Now to moter problem. I was riding the other day and the thermostat stuck shut and the bike overheated. It blew a hole in the thermostat housing hose. I fixed that and now the bike is burning oil very badly and the motor is making all kinds of noises. It also is blowing smoke out of the exhaust. I don't know if it is oil or coolant. I would really like to have some help so I don't go and blow tons of money on unneccessary parts. Thanks

#4 ·
Depending on how bad you overheated it, will tell how much engine damage you have, Rings, scored cylinder, as far as the electrical problem I suggest you talk with Quadmaniac, he knows that part like the back of his hand, also about the smoking problem, if the smoke smells sweet it probably is antifreeze, then you may have head gasket problems

#5 ·
I rode today for a little bit and it smokes when the throttle is pressed and when it is at idle it doesn't smoke. I am running it without a thermostat right now because I havent had the extra money to get one due to recently being layed off. If I fill up the oil before a ride the oil resevoir is empty by the time I go to ride the next day. I don't know if that helps to try to figure the problem out. I have never owned a raptor before so I am not sure what's going on with it. My last quad was a Ltz 400 and I never had these kind of problems. The bike overheated enough to the point where the exhaust was glowing red and it blew a hole in the thermostat housing hose. Well thanks for the info and just let me know if this info helps to try to fix my problem. Thank you.

#6 ·
I rode today for a little bit and it smokes when the throttle is pressed and when it is at idle it doesn't smoke. I am running it without a thermostat right now because I havent had the extra money to get one due to recently being layed off. If I fill up the oil before a ride the oil resevoir is empty by the time I go to ride the next day. I don't know if that helps to try to figure the problem out. I have never owned a raptor before so I am not sure what's going on with it. My last quad was a Ltz 400 and I never had these kind of problems. The bike overheated enough to the point where the exhaust was glowing red and it blew a hole in the thermostat housing hose. Well thanks for the info and just let me know if this info helps to try to fix my problem. Thank you.

#7 ·
Sounds like rebuild time. As for the starter button and charging, someone just had those problems. I think maddog was helping them with it. Hope this helps, now start pullin that motor out of the frame. Eric L

#8 ·
The fact that the exhaust was glowing red has nothing to do with how hot the engine was or how hot you overheated it, exhaust on a good running engine will exceed 1000 degrees, which is hot enough to make the exhaust look red, especially if it is a little dark out of even at night.
The hose blowing could have been caused by a poor hose so still not enough reason to consider overheating, BUT if you operated the engine without a proper working cooling system, you may have caused damage to the engine, such as piston rings, piston, warped head, etc.
In my bike I have not had a thermostat for years, I do not like the way the raptor thermostat is about a foot and a half from the engine, it takes for ever for the heat to get to the thermostat, and by then the engine was overheating for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.