Raptor Forum banner

Introduction

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Borgy 
#1 ·
I don't think this is the correct place to introduction myself but it wouldn't let me post in the "announcement" page. Please move if this is the wrong place.

Anyway, my name is Alex. I'm a full time student from Florida, and.....there's not much else. lol

I was a member of this site several years ago. Problem is i don't remember my old screen name and don't use the email i previously registered with. I didn't post much back then anyway. At the time, I had a 2007 Raptor 700 SE (blue & white), and i loved that bike, unfortunately, i had to sell it back in 2009 when i started school. I still very much miss it.

Well, the good news is i'm back on the hunt for another atv. The bad, i only have $2500 to work with. I know it is very difficult finding a Raptor 700 for that price, but there are a lot of 660's for around that price. Though, i have been looking in CL for the past few months and finding some decent quads for around my price range. DS 450's, trx 450's, predator 500's, and the one i have the most interest in- Outlaw 525(straight axle). I remember the 525's being the fastest accelerating quads back around the time i had my Raptor 700. How do they stack up now? How are the reliability of those KTM engines? I would appreciate any info anyone has on the 525, or any quad that could be found in my price rage. And it doesn't matter if it's carb or Fuel injected.

A lot of things have changed since my atv departure in 2009, but i remember this site being very informative filled with great people. So even if i don't end up with a raptor, or even a Yamaha, i know i'll still stick around.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome back to the forum!! For $2500 you can get a pretty nice 660. Also, if it matters to you, Raptors seem to have the largest aftermarket for parts.
I love me rear solid axle, but in Michigan, if you want to register it for road use (which would be awesome) it had to have a differential

#4 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

That's one of the things i love most about the raptors-- their large aftermarket selection. I just can't pass up the deal i found on the 525. Im going to go check out the outlaw tomorrow. I'll be sure to post up some pics if i do get it.

#5 ·
Well, the guy couldn't find the title to the quad, so i had to pass. In FL. you have to have a title for an atv. I don't know the consequences for not having one, but the whole situation seemed off. He wouldn't let me test ride it, which i understood cause he lives on a busy road, but i asked him if we could go to a nearby track and he refused. I told him i couldn't buy something without test riding it. He still said no and that's when he told me he couldn't find the title.

So all in all, it was a waste of time. luckily he didn't live too far away and i didn't waste too much fuel on the drive. The hunt continues.

#6 ·
That sucks. Good luck on the hunt. I just picked up a Raptor 250 from a guy that brought it from Florida and was needing to go back there for work. So this is the only bike in my stable that has a title. A Florida title, but a title nonetheless.

#7 ·
I have a Outlaw 525 IRS. It's a pretty nice bike. The IRS is nice, and the straight axle would be great to. My wife and friends ride the Outlaw, I save the Raptor for me and have only let a couple others ride it.

The KTM motor is a race motor and requires more maintenance then a Raptor, or most other quads. There are 2 oil filters and 2 screens in it to check and change each oil change. Still only a few dollars more, but they make a mess when you change them. The one I have is still bone stock and it's good overall, compared to a stock raptor they are fairly even. But once you start modding the Raptor wins. Raptor 700 is EFI, 525 Carb. 660 is carb.

I'd buy the 525 over a predator 500 for sure. For $2500 range though you should be able to find a pretty decent YFZ450, that would be my choice for sure, no question. I'd trade the outlaw for a YFZ for sure. 5th gear pinned in the outlaw is about 4th gear pinned in the Raptor also, never liked that as we tend to ride fast.

Good luck with your search. Buyer beware for sure, and if it seems off walk away, just like you did. Seems like you know what your doing.

#8 ·
I would LOVE to own a Raptor 700 again! I loved the one i had, and i know their motors responsed great to mods. I hear 525's are pretty much at their peak and don't see as much gains from the big 3.

Would you really prefer a yfz over a 525? Any reason beside the maintenance? I also thought the 525's were better than any of the 450's....Stock for stock i mean. Now you got me thinking lol.

I don't plan on doing much modifications for the time being.

Thanks again for the info guys. If any other Outlaw owners want to share their 2 cents i would greatly appreciate it.

#9 ·
The YFZ has more mod options, and I just think it's a better overall bike then the Outlaw. Not that the outlaw is a bad bike at all. I think it's perfect for my wife as it's more comfortable then most other sport quads with a cushy seat and the IRS works awesome when you need high clearance, or when the area is really choppy. A straight axle 525 though, you don't gain that advantage, which leads me more to a YFZ.

i'm not sure about gains on the 525 from intake and tuner, I have thought about doing it but i'm hoping when I get a RZR she won't want the quad anymore and I can sell it.

#11 ·
You'll find a Raptor 700 for $2500.00 especially in KY if you visit craigslist. The 525 Outlaws are a smooth trail machine especially IRS version. The IRS or single axle version aren't as dependable as the YFZ450, TRX450R, and Raptor atvs, but the stock ground clearance, handing, and power is something to be proud of in my opinion.

#12 ·
the 525 stock for stock does well. the IRS bike is very heavy, so a straight axle bike would do better.

I'm not much of a drag racer, I ride dunes mostly so my main experience and views are based on that style of riding. I did have a buddy riding the Outlaw, when my Raptor was stock as we raced a few time up a comp hill, and they were pretty even. again, stock Vs. stock.

#14 ·
Another question guys. I just found a 2007 TRX 450r for $2300. Guy says it's in great condition bu it will need tires soon. Everything is stock except nerfs (but the back of the foot rest is missing) and beadlock rims in the rear. The grab bar is also missing, and judging by the tip of the exhaust, it could have come off when the guys was doing a wheelie. Any advice?

#15 ·
I'm not a Honda quad fan. and their 450 that I have seen is nothing like a YFZ, or Suzuki LT-R450.

Honda's don't seem to be fast, and they have a weird trans oil and engine oil separated. but the seal goes bad and the trans oil fills the engine oil. You have to separate the case to change that seal. it can be done, but it's not an easy fix.

#17 ·
Check them out for sure.

We have a Dirt Bike in the shop right now with the seal issue, and we had a 450 quad in a few months ago that had it also. there are a ton of those bikes out there though so it might not be super common, but it does happen.

I still don't think they make the power the YFZ or LT-R do.

#19 · (Edited)
Well guys, after looking around for a while i was unable to find a Raptor or yfz at a reasonable price and well maintained. The ones that were in decent shape wanted waaay too much for them.

However, I was able to locate another 2008 Outlaw 525 S that was in my price range and in good condition. I went to go check it out, and this time i wasn't disappointed. I got to test ride it, real strong feeling quad, and this guy HAD the title with him. So i offered the guy $2600, bit more than i wanted to spend, but the bike was worth it, and the guy took it.

So, i'm now the owner of a Outlaw 525. I took into consideration what Rap_Rider said about maintenance, and after doing some reading on these things, he is correct. Oil and valve adjustments are more frequent on this bikes. But, after doing the oil change, it wasn't that bad. It does take an extra filter and a bit more time, plus those 2 oil screens, but the engine only requires 1.5-1.7 quarts of oil. And, the best part is that the valve adjustments on these quads are super easy!!! It will literally take you twice as much time removing the plastics than adjusting the valves. Just a note, i am NOT mechanically inclined, hell I feel proud of myself each time i change the oil, so to be able to do the valves on my own is awesome. And it saves me a couple hundred dollars on taking it to a quad shop like i had to on the Raptor.

Here are some pics of the bike. It's stock other than full FMF exhaust and nets. I will say this, it feels like it accelerates a lot harder than the Raptor, but the Raptor will definitely catch it up top, another thing Rap_Rider pointed out. Hoping a 15t sprocket will give me more top speed without hurting my acceleration too much.

Land vehicle All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Car Motorsport

Land vehicle All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire

#20 ·
I don't think this is the correct place to introduction myself but it wouldn't let me post in the "announcement" page. Please move if this is the wrong place.

Anyway, my name is Alex. I'm a full time student from Florida, and.....there's not much else. lol

I was a member of this site several years ago. Problem is i don't remember my old screen name and don't use the email i previously registered with. I didn't post much back then anyway. At the time, I had a 2007 Raptor 700 SE (blue & white), and i loved that bike, unfortunately, i had to sell it back in 2009 when i started school. I still very much miss it.

Well, the good news is i'm back on the hunt for another atv. The bad, i only have $2500 to work with. I know it is very difficult finding a Raptor 700 for that price, but there are a lot of 660's for around that price. Though, i have been looking in CL for the past few months and finding some decent quads for around my price range. DS 450's, trx 450's, predator 500's, and the one i have the most interest in- Outlaw 525(straight axle). I remember the 525's being the fastest accelerating quads back around the time i had my Raptor 700. How do they stack up now? How are the reliability of those KTM engines? I would appreciate any info anyone has on the 525, or any quad that could be found in my price rage. And it doesn't matter if it's carb or Fuel injected.

A lot of things have changed since my atv departure in 2009, but i remember this site being very informative filled with great people. So even if i don't end up with a raptor, or even a Yamaha, i know i'll still stick around.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
I wanted to say hello. I found this forum last night, and I have to say that it is a wealth of knowledge. I stumbled across a rare gem. I recently purchased a 2007 Raptor SE with 38 hours on it. The quad was kept in a climate controlled storage unit. I did the big 3 and what a difference! I am waiting on my Alba extended A-arms and a set of 2021 YZF 450R shocks. I will be selling my OEM shocks, front DG bumper, and the upper and lower stock A-arms if anyone is interested. The shocks look almost brand new, and have 50 hours on them. I added a Big Gun full exhaust, but removed the red sticker from the can. I also painted the exhaust cap black vs. red. The front nose plastic is OEM, and brand new out of packaging. No rides with it on. All of the plastic is like brand new, and I will be selling that as well if anyone is interested. I am located In the Phoenix area if anyone is interested. I want to put updated plastics on, but I am unsure if 2021-2023 plastic will fit on this 07? Do any particular OEM brackets need to be ordered? Could someone please help me with this question? Thank you to all of those who took time to make informative posts!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.