2011 700 5th gear not...
06-09-2014 09:53 AM
Last post by DEZPERADO
Today 04:21 PM
6 Replies, 170 Views
» Sponsors
Go Back   Yamaha Raptor Forum > Raptor 660 Categories > General 660 Discussion

LinkBack LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2006, 05:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dealing with a very stuck swingarm bolt.

Im working on my raptor thankfully it`s swing arm bolt was not hard to get out. Im working on both mine and my buddy 03 kfx 400. We both need major internal work and i have my raptor broke down. I incountered A problem when takeing engine off the kfx. The swing arm bolt is pretty stuck. I beat it out hard as i could and got the end of the bolt to come out and the other end is flushed with frame. I tried wiggeling the bolt with pliers no luck. I tried a socket and it just broke one of my cheap adaptors and cracked a cheap 1/4 socket. I found the right socket mm for it and the head wanted to round off. I see rust on the head side but not to bad. I tried placeing opjects that fit in the hole on the side wher it`s flushed and trying to beat thru but i was unable to get it to move any further out. I sprayed some nut buster pb blaster and beat back and forth a few times but no luck. It`s like it was never lube or had anti sieze put on the bolt before it was installed but it is a new bike one owner never had bolt take out but was in rain for a year without runing. Swing arm still swings up and down but is not as free moveing as it should be.

I dont know what else to do the end i beat with hammer has a lip over the thread and could be stoping me from beating passed the flush part of frame but i dont thank it`s holding me up but i will buy die grinder today to smooth it out and find a good bolt to put in the hole and find a big hammer to pop the shit out of it to get it out and new one in. Can anyone give me some advice ? I herd about heat but not sure if i could use a store bought screw on tank torch and heat the very long bolt can I? The bolt has a hole on both ends pretty much the bolt is hollow inside. Sorry if i confuse my words on this post im very tierd. I know this is a question for kfx 400 but it is related to my raptor cause i got to get this thang fix to have money for my raptor repairs Maybe this bolt exspanded over time due to weather and has some rust inside around it what will be my best bet to get it out? What size hammer should i get and type of gas torch if heat will help me?
akawilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Dealing with a very stuck swingarm bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akawilliam
I sprayed some nut buster pb blaster and beat back and forth a few times but no luck.
keep doing this, it's your best bet.
As for the mushroomed end, cut it off or you'll be fighting it all the way thru.
May have to replace the bolt when it's all done.
firstraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Im out to town now for some tools. got to find a torch and a yellow bottole of gas as i herd it hotter than blue. I also will need die grinder and a small sledge hammer and some bolts. Hopefully I may report back with some good news. I never new how important thangs like keeping this bolt greased and maintain.

Questions. Before i go burning shizts up give me some tips wher am i to apply to flame to inside bolt hole are all around it and hole? How long do i want to have the flame to it before i try to pop it out ?

I been useing pb blaster will the heat burn this stuff up in return cause stickyness and make the bolt harder to get out?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wouldn't heat it. The area that will bennifit from the is the sleaves that ride inside the needle bearings that are inside the the swingarm. You are right about Mapp gas being hotter than propane though.
You got it to move some, spray it and beat it back the other way, repeat.
firstraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

when i had to remove my motor in my 660 i had trouble with the swingarm bolt too...

what you need to remember to do all the while trying to slide it out is to move the swing arm...i found this out the hard way...2 days beating on it, but when it came time to put it in i had my dad help me by moving around the swing arm so that it slid in, also pay attention to any sleeves that may be inside any bushings just make sure when replacing the bolt that the bushing sleeves (if any) are in place correctly and lined up so that u dont ruin the bushing...
good luck
Old 11-19-2006, 03:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Got it out. I had to use a die grinder to grind off the lip that the bolt developed from beating the life out of it and also bought a mapp gas tank and borrow a mapp gas tourch tip I had heay the inside of the bolt hole up took a long bolt and washers and a 2lb hammer and bang and heated on it till it slowly backed out alittle at a time. Looks like I will be replaceing both swingarm bolt and bushings and all of the other pivioting bolts. Thanks for help also found a good link to help http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/swi...t-t433678.html and http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/swi....html?t=263748
Old 09-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

i hate to bring up an old thread but i guess its better that starting a new one. i just picked up an 01 raptor with the second gear blown. so now that i need to take the swingarm shaft out its siezed. i have sprayed penetrating oil on it and beat it with a sludge hammer and it has not even budged. the only thing left to do is to cut the axel out using a sawzall with a skinny blade. has anyone done this??
Curtis Sparks full exhaust
L&A oneway
DG nerf bars / GYTR Heel guards
12:1 JE piston
Dynatek Programmable ignition
X4 cam
Yukon transmission gears
hot rod connecting rod
Ferra stainless valves
Willykiller oil mod
12/41 gearing
dynojet needle in 3rd position from top
25 piliot 2.5 turn out
160 mains
adam kinmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam kinmond View Post
i hate to bring up an old thread but i guess its better that starting a new one. i just picked up an 01 raptor with the second gear blown. so now that i need to take the swingarm shaft out its siezed. i have sprayed penetrating oil on it and beat it with a sludge hammer and it has not even budged. the only thing left to do is to cut the axel out using a sawzall with a skinny blade. has anyone done this??

Yes, i have..............
willykiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

any hints??
Curtis Sparks full exhaust
L&A oneway
DG nerf bars / GYTR Heel guards
12:1 JE piston
Dynatek Programmable ignition
X4 cam
Yukon transmission gears
hot rod connecting rod
Ferra stainless valves
Willykiller oil mod
12/41 gearing
dynojet needle in 3rd position from top
25 piliot 2.5 turn out
160 mains
adam kinmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

well the EASIEST way i have found to get the long bolt out is to loosen and remove all motor mounts...jack the frame up JUST enough to take/releive the pressure and weight from the bolt...then i lift the motor up slightly to releive as much pressure from there as well....then i use the nut on the end of the bolt and hit it with a rubber mallet...if the mallet doesnt work use a block of wood and hit that with a 5 lb sledge
o3limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement