Raptor Forum banner

Quick/easy way to check decompression mechanism?

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mdavis27 
#1 ·
I'm looking into buying a 2001 660R that isn't running. I haven't had a chance to go look at it yet because of work, but cosmetically it's in good condition and it does turn over. The guy says it turns over hard, but if he takes the plug out it goes smooth. I want to check the decompression mechanism to see if its thrown the weights and damaged anything, but I doubt this guy wants me taking his engine halfway apart. Am I going to be able to see what I need to by taking the valve cover off? Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

It's got an upgraded CDI, but I don't know what kind, and the transmission was replaced recently. He's asking $1300, but I was thinking about offering $1000-$1100. Does this sound with a decent price? If I get it, I'm probably going to fix it and sell it unless I get attached, but If there's damage from the decompression mechanism, I may not want to deal with it depending on how bad it is

#3 ·
At $1300 it's not much lower then what a good running 660 goes for in my area. I would offer lower.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

#6 ·
From looking at parts diagrams for the top end, theres a plug on the side of the valve cover where the gear is, I don't know how big it is but i'm going to take it off and try and look in and see if the weights are still intact or not. I've got an inspection scope but I think its going to be too tight for that. I'm supposed to go check it out wednesday, I'm going to bring a battery and turn it over too, i'm hoping that if theres anything loose or broken i'll be able to hear it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.