raptor 660 help keeps going through clutches!!! PLEASE HELP!!!! - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

raptor 660 help keeps going through clutches!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

So i bought a 01 raptor 660 on craigslist but was told before driving there that it was an 02, if i knew it was an 01 i would have never bought it... It goes through clutch kits i know they are put in right but every time i take one ride it starts slipping and then its out...I don't know what to do it has a brand new clutch cable and and every time i changed out the clutch i put new oil in it. It does have a chipped first gear, which most 01 660 raptors do. But i have been to so many different places to see if they knew what is wrong with it and they just say that it needs a new clutch and i'm tired of putting money into it i just want to know what needs done if anyone can help at all it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:33 PM

Whats your basket look like? if the fingers look like saw blades your just putting aluminum into your motor oil every time you change gears. They sell billet hardened baskets. If you have a chipped gear your just asking for trouble and fixing your problem with a band-aid. If your really sick of putting in it sell or trade it for something else and then fix all the trades problems. Not to sound like a dick but that's reality.

Lets get some photos of the parts 1st. You might not have clutch adjusted right either, are you putting in cheap tusk kits, EBC or OEM clutches. Using stock springs, or mixing Barnett springs with something else? I
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Lifetime VIP

Send a message via AIM to t web2007
Are you soaking the fibers prior to install?
Did you clean up your basket?
Are you using wet clutch safe (JASO ma) oil?

2015 700Rse
Fci, PC5F/I, monster exhaust, hotcam3, +3 throttle body, Cuervo tuning, ais delete, +4 stellar swingarm.

02 660r
FMF powerbomb & titanium 4, k&n no lid, vittos jet kit, streamline stabilizer, +6 lonestar axle, yfz shocks, CFM oil tank

08 yfz450se
Sparks big core, k&n no lid, yz needle, yz timing mod

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

This isn't a great picture but it's only one I have but it seems to be in okay shake to me I know I have to fix 1st gear but I feel as thought it may just be worth it to purchase a different engine off an 02 raptor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668_1483990889754.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	117162  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:12 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

"It goes thru clutches". Does that mean it wore the friction material, or it slips?

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 66HP @ OCP. CUERVO +1 HEAD, HDD 5050, 11:1 CP, +5 HR, PC5, DMC FORCE 4, +2 TB, FCI, LONE STAR XC +1, HD TIE RODS, CCP, WORKS, JOKERS +1 STEM, RDZ CHAIN TENSIONER, ASV, +2 1/2 FACTORY SWINGARM, +4 ALBA AXLE, +2 REAR HUBS, DR.D, ODI, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. GYTR: BRAKE LEVER, SHIFT LEVER, NERF BARS, HEAL GUARDS. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, OIL DIPSTICK, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS, FLUIDYNE RADIATOR, GRIPPER SEAT, 3 OHM COIL, PLUG WIRE MOD. 1.6 CAP

Last edited by DEZPERADO; 01-09-2017 at 06:58 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:27 PM
I am unique

Sounds to me like you are using oil that isn't designed for wet clutches, you said you change the oil everytime. What oil are you using...........

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

I'm using Yamalube wet clutch oil
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Yes when I take them off the clutch plates are almost burnt looking
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 AM

did you replace the disks also or fibers only? burnt house smell = done for. Are your pressure plates worn? my KFX450R had the hub plate and pressure plate worn badly so if they are you you keep putting a new clutch fibers in theres too much slop and it will just wear out.

I only use rotella oil and only even ripped one clutch out but it was 8 years old. are you springs shot? do you know how to adjust and work on a bike properly? Still didn't answer if the fingers have groves like teeth or not.

Might be time take real photos which i know ever phone in america can do that and show up. I can tell you whats junk instantly...a new clutch is just not fibers and a cable. It should cost you $300-$400 if done right on a 15 year old machine

2005 KFX700 good bit of mods
2001 Raptor 660R too many mods
1987 YZ250 with Eric Gorr motor and every mod out there
1986 Tecate 3 resto mod build
Bits of a TRX250r is like to sell

Last edited by oldskool83; 01-10-2017 at 10:04 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Clutc...hYb~bM&vxp=mtr

This can not be worn on the surface that rests on the fibers..if it is worn or grooved you need to throw it away and buy a new one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Yamaha-...JYCWMP&vxp=mtr
Your clutch hub also can ont be worn there the fibers rest, it if it worn or groved throw it away because the tolerances are done for. If you see / feel not smooth edges where the disks and figers bash its time for a new hub.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Rapto...ZYcsvK&vxp=mtr

Your baskets fingers need to be smooth also. if they are looking like saw teeth then you need to file them down pallel to the figners above or buy a new billet basket.

Most times slipping and burned up clutch fibers are due to the inner hub and pressure plate being worn out. put in new fibers with old springs, and metal plates your not gonna last long. Put in cheap Chinese fibers are a few rides your done.

Most times a clutch is only going to last 1-3 years max. Everything needs adjusted correctly, not slipping your clutch all the time...if you do not know how to use a clutch put in a yz426 rekluse and enjoy semi auto!

2005 KFX700 good bit of mods
2001 Raptor 660R too many mods
1987 YZ250 with Eric Gorr motor and every mod out there
1986 Tecate 3 resto mod build
Bits of a TRX250r is like to sell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode