Raptor Forum banner

Top end rebuild

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DEZPERADO 
#1 ·
Hello I believe I'm going to start tearing into my top end this week due to rattling sounds and constant smoking I'm assuming the cylinder will need work but what I've found online is a new cylinder a cp Carrillo piston and comedic top end gasket kit for around $400 it's the big bore version and 11:1 compression I was wondering a few things one how reliable would a setup like this be because that is my main concern. two would it be better to stick with the stock bore and stock compression since I live in California and only have access to 91 octane gas. And third if I went with a big bore kit with 11:1 compression what other kind of work would I need to do to the engine like head work etc thank you for your responses

#2 ·
A CP piston 11:1 compression with cometic head gasket should be just as reliable as stock if put together right, and you wouldnt have to change anything else, and yes you can run 91 pump gas with that piston, i would suggest sticking to stock bore to help maintain your reliability, if you went big bore you will have to bore your cylinder, port your head, get valves redone, get a high stage cam, a +3 throttle body, +6 swingarm and a clutch kit... I'm assuming you already have a intake, fuel programmer, and full exhaust, if not you'll need all that too... it depends if you want to spend 400 on a piston or 4000+ on a total engine build...

#3 ·
A CP piston 11:1 compression with cometic head gasket should be just as reliable as stock if put together right, and you wouldnt have to change anything else, and yes you can run 91 pump gas with that piston, i would suggest sticking to stock bore to help maintain your reliability, if you went big bore you will have to bore your cylinder, port your head, get valves redone, get a high stage cam, a +3 throttle body, +6 swingarm and a clutch kit... I'm assuming you already have a intake, fcuel programmer, and full exhaust, if not you'll need all that too... it depends if you want to spend 400 on a piston or 4000+ on a total engine build...
He has a 660. But most of it applies.

Measure your cylinder for necessary overbore, not just big bore. 11:1 CP piston with factory gaskets and assembled correctly, is pump gas safe. No re jetting is needed, but a good time to clean the carbs. I almost always replace the timing chain when the cylinder is off. Also a good time to add a stage 1 or 2 cam to complement the increased compression.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.