Tail light not working/ ground issue - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dale_W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Tail light not working/ ground issue

Went riding this weekend and went through some semi deep water in my 2001 raptor 660. Anyways my tail light was working great until I went through the water. Got to looking at it and I'm not getting a good ground. I have an led tail light wired. Question is anyone know where this could be grounded? My headlights work by the way. Want to fix it the right way instead of just grounding the light somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:15 AM

Water most likely got on the grounding cable and the thing oxidised. You will have to find the grounding cable and clean the contact with sanding paper. That is if the ground is really the problem. You can confirm this by bypassing the grounding cable and attaching it somwere else. if the light starts to work the ground is the problem if not the some other cable is causing the issue. It is good to repair this so your alternator doesn't die if you are getting +12V on the frame (ground).

2016 Raptor 700R
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:20 AM
Master of the Electron

The black wire from the light's connector is ground.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'02 Honda 400ex, DiamondJ +3 A-arm widener, Lonestar anti-vibe
New Toy: '16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSupra View Post
Water most likely got on the grounding cable and the thing oxidised. You will have to find the grounding cable and clean the contact with sanding paper. That is if the ground is really the problem. You can confirm this by bypassing the grounding cable and attaching it somwere else. if the light starts to work the ground is the problem if not the some other cable is causing the issue. It is good to repair this so your alternator doesn't die if you are getting +12V on the frame (ground).

Ya I did some testing with a test light and I know for sure I'm not grounded but my question is where that wire goes and is grounded at??

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Anybody?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:23 AM

Idk. Mine is 2016 and had no issues with it. Get to the tail light and then follow the wire back. As quadmaniac said the black wire is negative or ground in this case. Use a multimeter and you should figure it out pretty fast.

2016 Raptor 700R
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:45 AM

As Quad said, the black wire coming from the connection block is the ground, that then feeds back into the main harness to one of the main grounds. It's been a while since I fitted my wiring harness, but if I remember correctly there should be a ground on the crankcase somewhere, and one by the ignition coil. You could check those and see if they are making connection. Or just run a new ground to the light.

:: 2003 Raptor 660 ::

Jogaca YFZ fronts & '01 rear
YFZ 450 Pro Armor bull bar
Pro Taper raptor bend bars, Vans waffle grip ODI's
HMF slip-on
K&N drop in
DynoJets kit
Polished engine bolt kit
E-Sticky custom graphics
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simont122 View Post
As Quad said, the black wire coming from the connection block is the ground, that then feeds back into the main harness to one of the main grounds. It's been a while since I fitted my wiring harness, but if I remember correctly there should be a ground on the crankcase somewhere, and one by the ignition coil. You could check those and see if they are making connection. Or just run a new ground to the light.

Pretty sure it was was the ground that's on the left side by the shifter. It was full of dirt and still wet after sitting a week under the electric tape. Cleaned it put it back on and have a tail light again. Thanks for the input guys

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:02 AM

That's the one

:: 2003 Raptor 660 ::

Jogaca YFZ fronts & '01 rear
YFZ 450 Pro Armor bull bar
Pro Taper raptor bend bars, Vans waffle grip ODI's
HMF slip-on
K&N drop in
DynoJets kit
Polished engine bolt kit
E-Sticky custom graphics
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:27 AM

Thank you for posting the solution. That's a huge help for others researching these threads.

Glad you got it figured out!
el_drizzy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode