Wheel offset? - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 03LimitedEditionRaptor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Wheel offset?

I'm doing a frame up rebuild on an 05 660.
I started with a frame, engine, lots of parts...and no wheels.
I want to run stock size tires, front and rear.
I'll be using an adjustable axle.
I trail ride, and only want to be +1" per side.
The axle will do that fine.
For the front, I was planning on 1" wheel spacers.
My question is; can I buy front wheels that are offset/sit out 1" wider, and eliminate the need for a spacer?
Could anyone post the stock front/rear wheel sizes and offsets please?
I have a Yamaha service manual, but that info isn't listed anywhere.
I also haven't been able to find the info on the forum.
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:38 PM

Yes you can get just about any off set wheel size you could need. Factory off set is 3/2. 3" on the inside 2" on the outside for a grand total of a 5" wide front rim. You can also flip the factory wheels if you want to install a flush valve stem. That way when its on the inside of the rim it doesn't hit or get tore off by the brake caliper. They are not real handy for filling tires up but you could always drill a new hole on the new outside part and install a regular valve stem. Then you would just be using the flush mount valve stem to plug the hole.

The down side to adding width outside of the spindle is it gives rocks, roots, and ruts more leverage back on your steering system. Much like using a long piece of pipe on a wrench / breaker bar on a tight bolt. This will increase the force required to turn the bars, and also give you stronger jolts back in on the bars when you hit bumps, ruts, roots, and rocks. This is called bump steer. This is why you see a lot of racers use a 4/1 off set wheel. It puts more tire on the inside so there is less leverage on the steering system. Then they usually make up the extra narrow width with 3+ a arms instead of +2's.

In my opinion the best cheapest way to gain width would be a wideing kit. It bolts on to the factory suspension mounts and moves all the new mounting points farther out. If your dead set on only going +1 and buying new wheels you could also take advantage of the 4/1 off set and get a +2" wide kit then bring the width down to a +1 by using the 4/1 off set wheel.
Mad Dog likes this.

2003 Limited Edition Raptor
Kenz 720cc 11:1 stroker, +1 valves, Mega Cycle X-4 Cam, Sparks 6x Big Core, Keihin 35mm FCR's. 158 mains, 52 pilots, fuel screws 2 turns out.

97 Banshee
F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill, CPI Inframes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup. 158 mians, CEL needles second clip, #48 pilots, air scews 2.0 turns out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 02:14 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

03 has good advice. I would advise against any wheel that goes out 4in. I just went thru that with 1/4 offset. It was hard to steer a straight line and lots of bump steer. I now have 2/3 and it's much better. AM arms or A-Arm extenders would be your best choice.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 66HP @ OCP. CUERVO +1 HEAD, HDD 5050, 11:1 CP, +5 HR, PC5, DMC FORCE 4, +2 TB, FCI, LONE STAR XC +1, HD TIE RODS, CCP, WORKS, JOKERS +1 STEM, RDZ CHAIN TENSIONER, ASV, +2 1/2 FACTORY SWINGARM, +4 ALBA AXLE, +2 REAR HUBS, DR.D, ODI, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. GYTR: BRAKE LEVER, SHIFT LEVER, NERF BARS, HEAL GUARDS. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, OIL DIPSTICK, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS, FLUIDYNE RADIATOR, GRIPPER SEAT, 3 OHM COIL, PLUG WIRE MOD. 1.6 CAP

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, and I understand bump steer.
The widening kit isn't what I'm looking for.
I have new tie rods, ends, ball joints, and Ricky Stator adjustable stock length upper A-arms. +2" A-arms aren't in my plans right now either.
I think I'll just use stock size wheel and 1" spacer, or maybe the 2/3 offset (opposite stock).
If I had stock wheels, I'de flip the fronts.
I remember doing that on the Warriors(2nd valve stem).
Do you know the stock rear wheel size?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:40 AM

Stock rims are about 1.5" / 3" in. I run 2" out 3". Didn't see much difference. Dontvrun spacers on front. Your bump steer starts to get very bad. Go wider, not sure why people are scared to go more then an inch per side. I'm 50" wide and fit in right stuff. If you put on 400ex rear hubs you can get your rear end about 46" or so I'm stock axle. Yfz450 front shocks will lower your front a little for a wider foot print.

2005 KFX700 good bit of mods
2001 Raptor 660R too many mods
1987 YZ250 with Eric Gorr motor and every mod out there
1986 Tecate 3 resto mod build
Bits of a TRX250r is like to sell
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

My friend's 700 is +3, and I can scrape through the trails on it.
I'm not against going wider, and +2" overall is where I want to be.
I already have yfz 450 shocks on the front.
This set also does Not lower the front.
I had read that the 04-06 or 08 450 shocks are shorter. Not these.
Identical length as stock 660 front shocks.
The stock rear link was also symetrical, meaning it couldn't be flipped and lowered.
I bought an adjustable link.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

I also understand bump steer, and I've never seen it be a problem with +1" per side.
Even junk shock Warriors with the front wheels flipped aren't bad.
If the rest of the alignment is good, and tie rod ends, ball joints, bushings aren't worn, then +1" is ok for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode