Headed to the dyno!
12-20-2014 05:28 PM
Last post by Pacific Barbarian
Yesterday 09:26 PM
10 Replies, 189 Views
» Sponsors
Go Back   Yamaha Raptor Forum > Raptor 660 Categories > General 660 Discussion

LinkBack LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Technical question reguarding the radiator fan.

Guys,
How often do your fans kick on while riding? It seems like when I am riding with my buddies that their fans are running while we are stopped and talking and mine is not. I don't know if mine is bad or not. I am going to test the fan motor and thermo switch for continuity. Does anyone know what temperature it is set to come on at?

2004 Yamaha Raptor
CT Racing Exhaust
Stage 2 Hot Cam and valve springs
Bling Racing Max-Flow Airbox
ITP Baja Front Wheels
14/40 gearing
SpDdEmOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Caribbean Raptor

Send a message via MSN to joequad16
Default Re: Technical question reguarding the radiator fan.

hey man, mine doesn't go on either. only when the engine gets really hot.
the fan should go on at 90 or 91 degrees. I bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RAPTO...spagenameZWDVW

a new fan switch that turns on the fan at 80 degrees.

Monster Born! Muahahah!

2004 Raptor "660"
joequad16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master of the Electron

The Raptor's fan switch (thermo1 in the manual) is designed to turn on at between 197F and 208F and then turn back off when coolant drops below 197F again.

Since the cooling system's thermostat opens at no higher than 163F, unless the radiator is unable to eliminate the excess heat on its own (like idling for a long time with no airflow or exteneded very hard riding), the fan won't come on.

The over temp warning switch (thermo2 in the manual) turns on at no higher than 248F warning you that the cooling system is overheating (assuming the light bulb works... you DO verify that it turns on when you push the start button, don't you?).

Test the fan circuit by pulling the connector from the thermo1 switch at the bottom of the radiator and short across the pulled connector's pins. With the key switch on, the fan should run. If not, either the fan or the fan's circuit breaker have failed.
'02 Honda 400ex, DiamondJ +3 A-arm widener, Lonestar anti-vibe
QuadManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
DWR-President

Also remember that the cooling system on the raptors is pretty good, from what I have been told. I plan to wire a LED inline with the fan so when it is on the LED lights so I know it should be running. Just a dummy light for me.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ah, I had not read the manual yet. Thanks for the great info Quadmaniac. Since I have not read the manual yet, I am going to assume you mean that the temp light on the dash briefly flashes when the start button is pressed, correct?

I think it does but I will double check to make sure.

The reason that I was wondering about this was because my buddy has a raptor 700 and his fan comes on almost every time we stop. I then noticed that mine did not and proceeded to read into why it wasn't.

2004 Yamaha Raptor
CT Racing Exhaust
ITP Baja Front Wheels
14/40 gearing
Old 05-12-2008, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Probably not a bad idea Jason.

joequad16 - I am not certain that would be a good idea or even really be any benefit. The reason that I say this is because the engine is designed to operate in a certain temperature range, if we are not going out of that temperature range right now, putting a switch on the fan that kicks on at 80F will only prolong the time it takes the engine to reach the desired temperature. There is less wear on an engine at a higher temperature per say. A very cold engine at say 60F would have further wear on internal components than would one at 160F. Temperature is a good thing, too much is bad though.

Think about this, the work cycle or output for an otto cycle engine (4-stroke spark ignited) is equal to the (mass flow rate) X (enthapy change). This enthalpy change is change in the enthalpy values from state 1 to state 2. State 1 being intake charge and state 2 being the exhaust charge. Now to further explain, the higher the temperature of the working fluid (AF mixture), the higher the enthalpy value. So ideally to make the maximum power possible holding mass flow rate constant, you would want the highest temperature difference possible between the two charges. This would create the biggest difference in enthalpy (h2-h1). You would want h1 to be as small as possible and h2 to be as high as possible. So it would make sense that the colder your intake charge is and the hotter the combustion temperature and exhaust gases are, the higher the horsepower would be.

This doesn't mean to run an engine at 900 degrees or anything because there are many more factors that come into play, but it is some good food for thought. The enthalpy values are from mixture temp and exhaust gas temp, not coolant temp anyway.

2004 Yamaha Raptor
CT Racing Exhaust
ITP Baja Front Wheels
14/40 gearing
Old 05-13-2008, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master of the Electron

I was hoping he was refering to 80C after i thought about it a bit, lol.

And I'm happy to see another member that has a thourough understanding of physics on here... it's trying sometimes attempting to explain why what someone suggests is just not possible due to, for instance, the second law of thermodynamics or conservation of energy.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hahahaha, yeah I know what you mean man. I think you are right, I didn't really think about it but it makes great sense because 80C would yield 176F. Yeah I wish this forum had microsoft equation editor on it. It would make things a little easier on me. This happens to me alot when I try to explain gearing for certain situations.

BTW, how do the 01's hold up if you don't abuse them?

If you don't understand joe let me know I will try to help.

2004 Yamaha Raptor
CT Racing Exhaust
ITP Baja Front Wheels
14/40 gearing
Old 05-13-2008, 01:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
DWR-President

So your saying that my Header wrapped head pipes are not doing me any good?

I do agree the engines were meant to run at a specific temp and to low your not helping them any, actually maybe loosing a bit due to the fan kicking on more and drawing more. <- Debate material.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master of the Electron

Jason: The typical reason to wrap the header/s is to maintain that thermal energy (keep the gas hot) prior to feeding it into a turbo. The hotter the exhaust gas reaching the turbo, the more energy there is to spin the turbine. In your case, the gas has left the cylinder already. There's no way to use the extra energy in the exhaust pipe. However, the wrap does keep you leg cooler.

SpDd: My 01 has been no more or less troublesome than any year, as far as I can see using other forum members as my comparison. My tranny has been fine so far, but I do not speed shift and always use the clutch. I've replaced my one-way, and bent and replaced my steering shaft due to a roll... that's about it for major service in the 2 years I have owned it. Also, subject change - ideally, to maximize the Carnot cycle, if all the energy during combustion were converted into mechanical energy, the exhaust gas would be at ambient (impossible, I know), so the cooler the exhaust gas, the better - more power has been transmitted to the piston... of course Otto engines are no better than 50% efficient for a reason so you can't get there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement