Today 02:56 PM
by w_caven
Last post by w_caven
Today 02:56 PM
0 Replies, 12 Views
» Sponsors
Go Back   Yamaha Raptor Forum > Raptor 660 Categories > General 660 Discussion

LinkBack LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
I am unique

Default Raptor Stator Problems

Everyone knows about the tell tale sign, if the raptor does not start and there is no spark, unplug the regulator rectifier and if it starts, then most likely you have a problem with the stator shorting to the ignition circuit.
Well what if you have good spark, good compression, fuel is okay and the raptor will not start, well I just went through one of these diagnostic sessions with a customer's raptor.
We unhooked the rectifier regualtor, tried a new CDI unit, checked for vacuum leaks, checked the timing, tried boosting with a extra battery, and once in a while it would start, maybe one in 25 attempts, BUT if you tow started it it would start everytime.
One of the disturbing symthoms it had was that when you turned the engine over to start it, occassionly it would fire through the exhaust pipe and stop the engine dead when turning over.
Well we installed a new stator assembly and now it starts perfectly, and the defective stator was only 2 months old.
My theory is that there was a problem with the pickup coil sending an erroneous signals and causing the start problem, but then why would it start by towing?
So anyone experiencing this, keep this in mind, about the firing through the exhaust and stopping the engine dead from turning, no start condition, lots of spark, unplug the regulator and still don't start, it could be the stator.

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
willykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master of the Electron

Default Re: Raptor Stator Problems

Certainly sounds like you were hit with a different stator assembly related issue. The 'unplug the rec/reg and it works' one, as you know, is related to a short between the charging and the HV windings. Yours was obviously something else, and your theory about the pickup coil certainly holds water. Sorta wish they hadn't combined the pickup as part of the stator... sure makes replacing a simple component much more costly.

Good diagnosis.
'02 Honda 400ex, DiamondJ +3 A-arm widener, Lonestar anti-vibe
QuadManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Was your bike struggling to turn over when you tried to start it?

Im having the same issue with my bike. It also fired out the exhaust the same way and if i pop started it, it was fine. It can barely turn over more than once when i try to start it. I thought it might be the starter since it was struggling and it was pulling like 8 volts with no load on it
01 Yamaha Raptor (built by Kenz)<br />719cc HR 4mm Stroker 102mm bore<br />HV Porting<br />FCR 39mm Carbs<br />LTE Exhaust<br />X-4 Megacycle Cam<br />Ferrera Valves w/HD springs<br />20x11x9 i-razrs or 21x12x8 9 Paddle Extremes<br />Elka shocks <br />Custom +4 Swingarm <br />Team Alba +4 A-Arms<br />G-Force +4 axle<br />Houser +2 stem<br />GYT-R Clutch/Basket/Plate/Inner Hub <br />STOCK TRANNY RUNNING STRONG!
DragRacer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master of the Electron

Define 8 volts with no load on it.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am having a very similar problem with a brand new big bore stroker. I've replaced everything but the stator and just ordered a new one of those tonight. If it fixes my problem, Willykiller will be my new hero.
ubetrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragRacer4Life
Was your bike struggling to turn over when you tried to start it?

Im having the same issue with my bike. It also fired out the exhaust the same way and if i pop started it, it was fine. It can barely turn over more than once when i try to start it. I thought it might be the starter since it was struggling and it was pulling like 8 volts with no load on it
It seemed as if there was something wrong with the engine, that there was something mechanically wrong, and we had just rebuilt the whole engine, and I knew everything was good in the engine. Now this engine does have a 3 plughead, and we tried firing it up with one plug and three, and occasionaly it would start.

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
willykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubetrun
I am having a very similar problem with a brand new big bore stroker. I've replaced everything but the stator and just ordered a new one of those tonight. If it fixes my problem, Willykiller will be my new hero.
I also put a big bore stroker into my bike and have been having this problem since..It seemed like there was too much compression and not enough juice from the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadManiac
Define 8 volts with no load on it.
I took the gear off the starter and let it spin freely, with a tester on the battery. The voltage dropped from 12 to like 5 when I was trying to start it. I figured there was some kind of short in the starter, but im no electrician either. I ordered a starter but maybe I shouldve tried the stator first...
01 Yamaha Raptor (built by Kenz)<br />719cc HR 4mm Stroker 102mm bore<br />HV Porting<br />FCR 39mm Carbs<br />LTE Exhaust<br />X-4 Megacycle Cam<br />Ferrera Valves w/HD springs<br />20x11x9 i-razrs or 21x12x8 9 Paddle Extremes<br />Elka shocks <br />Custom +4 Swingarm <br />Team Alba +4 A-Arms<br />G-Force +4 axle<br />Houser +2 stem<br />GYT-R Clutch/Basket/Plate/Inner Hub <br />STOCK TRANNY RUNNING STRONG!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master of the Electron

Yes, under those conditions (starter under no load with battery voltage dropping to 5VDC), either the starter has serious problems or the battery is bad. A load test on the battery (just after a fresh charge with a battery charger) will tell you if it's the culprit. If the battery passes, then the starter is definitely the issue.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

it was a new battery so hopefully the starter is the problem

Thanks 4 the help
Old 05-28-2008, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

i had similar issues and after the engine rebuild and ricky stator high output stator see fires up good. and fully charged battery. when she is running i got 14.3v at the battery meaning stator is working good!
NewJerseyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement