what am i not doing right
06-30-2014 02:58 PM
Last post by red baron
Today 02:49 AM
9 Replies, 208 Views
» Sponsors
Go Back   Yamaha Raptor Forum > Raptor 660 Categories > General 660 Discussion

LinkBack LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default raptor not firing

Ok, so I just purchased a 2002 raptor as a project and ive worked on this thing for 3 days now and cant get no spark. the quad cranks perfect and battery voltage is good. I have power and ground at the coil but no spark, I swapped the coil out for another coil off my buddies raptor and still nothing. I unplugged the rectifier and seen no spark as well, I also tried 2 seperate spark plugs I knew were goo and nothing. everything is functioning well but i cant get a spark, any suggestions would be very appreciated.
yamator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamator View Post
Ok, so I just purchased a 2002 raptor as a project and ive worked on this thing for 3 days now and cant get no spark. the quad cranks perfect and battery voltage is good. I have power and ground at the coil but no spark, I swapped the coil out for another coil off my buddies raptor and still nothing. I unplugged the rectifier and seen no spark as well, I also tried 2 seperate spark plugs I knew were goo and nothing. everything is functioning well but i cant get a spark, any suggestions would be very appreciated.
So your whole bike is stock, no spark at the sparkplug, you changed coils with no results, you have disconnected the voltage regulator with no results.
So the next step would be to verify that the orange wire that starts at the CDI box and ends at the coil is intact, (not broken) and that that particular wire does have good contact at the CDI box..............

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
willykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master of the Electron

You say all is working - let's verify that.

Does the starter turn over when you push the start button, or are you testing by shorting across the solenoid?

Does your reverse light work correctly?

You say you have 'power at the coil'... how did you measure this and what was the measurement?

Next, do you have access to and know how to use a Volt meter? We can make a few measurements and try to narrow this down... but I suspect (assuming the Orange wire is intact both at the CDI and at the Coil) that you have a stator problem.

This will likely narrow down to either the stator or the CDI... but stator problems causing no spark are very common, CDI failure causing no spark is very rare.
'02 Honda 400ex, DiamondJ +3 A-arm widener, Lonestar anti-vibe
3 scooters - 150, 180, 250
'73 Yamaha CT3-175 Enduro (currently under restoration)
'08 Can-Am Spyder SE5 - my Baby!
And the newest toy destined to suck up all my spare time and money: 2000 Jaguar XJ8

Last edited by QuadManiac; 06-07-2010 at 01:32 PM.
QuadManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes the starter turns over by crossing over the solenoid and by cranking the electric start switch.
The reverse lights work as well. I have and can use a volt metert lol (Im a technician for caterpillar) But both of my flukes are at work and all I had to work with was a test light so im not for sure as to what the voltage was at the coil but there is power coming into the coil for sure.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master of the Electron

The only thing that should be on the orange coil wire are 100 - 200 Volt very short pulses repeating at engine RPM... these are probably enough to light your test light.

Interesting though - if you are indeed seeing the pulses, the coil should be generating sparks. I wonder what it is that your test light was seeing on the orange wire?
And the newest toy destined to suck up all my spare time and money: 2000 Jaguar XJ8
Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Im not sure, the wire is showing constant voltage just when the key switch is on. The engine doesnt have to be cranking, im not sure why I even have voltage with the key turned on to be honest with you. I will bring my volt meter home with me tomarrow night and see what I have from the wire and get back with you guys. The stator was mentioned earlier as a suspect I seen but wouldnt the coil try to generate spark when i disconnected the rectifier? I am positive now that this coil is good by the way, I just put it on another raptor and it sparked just fine. I am pretty much at a loss on this one right now.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master of the Electron

The 'unplug the regulator' trick only works when the stator has one particular and common fault - a short between the HV winding and one of the battery charge windings. Unplugging the regulator is a quick, easy check to see if this is the problem, but doesn't discount other stator issues.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

ok got ya, Il test the voltage tomarrow and get back to you guys, Im just not understanding the constant voltage on the coil but oh well, If all else fails, I will try another stator.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ok, so new update on the firing issue. I checked the voltage coming into the coil and its reading 11.6v dc. I then tried cranking the quad and the voltage dropped to 8.6v. The resistance through the coil is 13.4k ohms but as I said before, I tried this coil on another raptor with success. I Have a new stator on the way and I am hoping this will fix it but who knows. Another bit I forgot to mention, the keyswitch is currently out of the raptor so I just have it wired over and everything is working so I am assuming this has nothing to do with it? All help will be very appreciated on this one guys
Old 06-29-2010, 05:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamator View Post
Ok, so new update on the firing issue. I checked the voltage coming into the coil and its reading 11.6v dc. I then tried cranking the quad and the voltage dropped to 8.6v. The resistance through the coil is 13.4k ohms but as I said before, I tried this coil on another raptor with success. I Have a new stator on the way and I am hoping this will fix it but who knows. Another bit I forgot to mention, the keyswitch is currently out of the raptor so I just have it wired over and everything is working so I am assuming this has nothing to do with it? All help will be very appreciated on this one guys
What colour was the wire that you say you measured the voltage going to the coil................Orange wire

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
willykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement