Rev limiter
Today 10:18 AM
Last post by raptordude
Today 04:03 PM
17 Replies, 127 Views
» Sponsors
Go Back   Yamaha Raptor Forum > Raptor 660 Categories > General 660 Discussion

LinkBack LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default wont start, backfires

Ok heres the deal. Bought a 660 from a buddy of mine..... don't remeber for sure what year it is. Awhile ago I looked up the vin but I can't remember for sure. Think it a 2001. Its white and black.
Anyway, before all of this, I got it and it would start really hard. always took awhile sometimes needed to use the battery charger to get it going. But it would start and run fine, after it warmed up it would always have a high idle, not just a high idle but a really high idle. Almost like quarter throttle.
I thought it was the carbs cause he said he hadn't ran it in a year. So.......tonight I took the carbs off and cleaned them. Did a bunch of research to make sure I did it right. Took a lot (A LOT) of time putting them back on to make sure the boots where right.
Now it seems like it wants to start but all it does is backfire. Got a new spark plug and it does the same thing. Seems like when I put the Choke on it "wants" to start more, but at the same time it backfires worse.
Any help please.
j567488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Banshee2Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j567488 View Post
Ok heres the deal. Bought a 660 from a buddy of mine..... don't remeber for sure what year it is. Awhile ago I looked up the vin but I can't remember for sure. Think it a 2001. Its white and black.
Anyway, before all of this, I got it and it would start really hard. always took awhile sometimes needed to use the battery charger to get it going. But it would start and run fine, after it warmed up it would always have a high idle, not just a high idle but a really high idle. Almost like quarter throttle.
I thought it was the carbs cause he said he hadn't ran it in a year. So.......tonight I took the carbs off and cleaned them. Did a bunch of research to make sure I did it right. Took a lot (A LOT) of time putting them back on to make sure the boots where right.
Now it seems like it wants to start but all it does is backfire. Got a new spark plug and it does the same thing. Seems like when I put the Choke on it "wants" to start more, but at the same time it backfires worse.
Any help please.
Clean the carbs again . Raptor carbs are very very picky. Wate mods are done to your bike, or is it bone stock ?. Also adjuust your valves, they have a habit of geting worn tight & will not start when cold or start very hard..
Old 11-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

deff clean the carb again. when i had my 660 it sat for 6 months and same thing. i could not get the jets clean enough. there is a yamaha dealer down the street from me so i just bought new jets. put them in and it ran better than new.

Full HMF Exhaust
Alabracing fuel controller
Pro-Tech moflo lid,twin air filter
yfz450 shocks,protaper bars
rynb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

I was told it has one less tooth on the front sprocket, the pipe doesn't have a name or logo on it but its not stock, doctor d reverse, the parking brake wire is disconected, the more I'm looking into this problem the more I'm learning about whats all done to the quad. I'm going to get new jets today and adjust the valves tonight. I'll lett you know how it goes.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Banshee2Raptor

Quote:
I was told it has one less tooth on the front sprocket, the pipe doesn't have a name or logo on it but its not stock, doctor d reverse, the parking brake wire is disconected, the more I'm looking into this problem the more I'm learning about whats all done to the quad. I'm going to get new jets today and adjust the valves tonight. I'll lett you know how it goes.
Best of luck to ya. A pic or 2 would help to tell wate kind of pipe you have...How bout the air filter ? Any hols drilled in the lid ? Snorkel on or off ?
Old 11-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

STARTS!!! Adjusted the valves, that seemed to solve the starting problem. Now I have gas pouring out of the overflows of the carbs. The idle is really high still. I put the choke on and it seemed to want to idle, so I guess that means its running to lean Ordered a carb rebuild kit today, still gonna try to take the carbs apart again and see if that works.

Any other ideas??
Old 11-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

oh yea, there are no holes drilled in the airbox. looks stock to me. when i was at the dealer today i looked at the exhaust break down pic and it appears i have stock
Old 11-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
tmc
Git-R-Done

Quote:
STARTS!!! Adjusted the valves, that seemed to solve the starting problem. Now I have gas pouring out of the overflows of the carbs. The idle is really high still. I put the choke on and it seemed to want to idle, so I guess that means its running to lean Ordered a carb rebuild kit today, still gonna try to take the carbs apart again and see if that works.

Any other ideas??
floats might be stuck

'01 Raptor 660R, Monster Duals, ASV Levers, Flexx Bars, YFZ Shocks, YFZ Front Calipers, Lonestar +2 Arms, Pro Design Shifter, K&N Air Filter with Outerwears, (No air box) Tusk Extended Axle, Vito's Jet Kit with Dynojet needles, JTM, Roll Design +2 Steering Stem, Bling Star Front Bumper, Scotts reusable oil filter, Hiper Wheels, TUSK nerfbars w/integrated heelguards.
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

OK!! First of I'm a f ing idiot, me and whoever screwed it up in the first place.

SOOOOO.......cleaned the carbs again and that stoped the fuel leaking problem. Adjusted the valves so it pops off right away. AS FAR AS THE HIGH IDLE. I didn't see that the damn idle screw is BROKE OFF..... Got a new one coming, gonna have to figure out how to get the broke one out cause its so f ing coroded in there. So for right now i just filed off a little bit on the stop end and it is running fine. Need a new throttle cable also cause this one seems to be sticking. But when i have the cover off where i can get at the cable on the side of the carbs, after i start it and it does that high idle i just mess with the butterfly "valve" and it returns to normal. I think i have it set well enough to get me threw the weekend.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. I just need to look more carefully at the details.

Thanks again,
Josiah
Old 11-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master of the Electron

So nice when the story ends happy!
'02 Honda 400ex, DiamondJ +3 A-arm widener, Lonestar anti-vibe
3 scooters - 150, 180, 250
'73 Yamaha CT3-175 Enduro (currently under restoration)
'08 Can-Am Spyder SE5 - my Baby!
And the newest toy destined to suck up all my spare time and money: 2000 Jaguar XJ8
QuadManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement