660 major problems....fustrating! - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

660 major problems....fustrating!

Hi all newbie here feel free to move if iv posted in wrong area

Im totally new to quads sorry please excuse me if i sound stupid....

My 660 has had a full rebuild but the problem i have is it seems to be running rich as in spark plug is black as the ace of spades and it shoots out black smoke with the odd flame when reving in neutral it also struggles to start and idle. once its running it runs mint or so i thought (ill get to this part ) but once you let off the throttle after reaching the top of a dune for example and try idle down the other side it stalls, iv got to keep toggling the throttle to keep it going.

Mods as far as i can see are as follow:

Holes drilled on top of the air box
Standard filter
Slip on HMF pipe
140 - 145 jets
22.5 pilot

Now the other part.... although it seems to pull hard i just cant seem to pull away for a my friends pesky LTZ400s and YFZ450s

Iv got the carb out but im not to keen on touching the inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 08:39 PM
Lifetime VIP

Did it run good before the rebuild? Is the air filter clean?

I'm suprised it's running rich. It sounds like you have a carb issue. With holes in the air box lid you should need larger mains and pilots. Where are your idle screws set?
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Weird isnt it was thinking much the same running rich BUT has holes drilled and a slip on. Idle screws were about 1.5 turn out and 2 3/4 out on the other side.

I took the carb bowl off and had a look at the jets all were clean except the pilot which i cleaned and poped back in refitted bowl and readjusted the screws to 2 out on the one closes to the throttle cable side and 3 turns out on the other side. Put every thing back together put fresh fuel in the tank went to go crank it over and just my luck.... starter clutch slips, in all fairness it has been making noises the last couple of times iv been out.

Correct me if im wrong on any of the above but the clog through the starter motor plate is spinning both directions with resistance but still only by my fingers, s im assuming starter clutch?

Labour and parts down here in New Zealand is just not an option so im trying to trouble shoot/fix things myself.

L&A starter clutch 52T wheel gaskets etc seems to be the biz? Ebay $350.00nz landed compared to $700.00 plus here in the local market

Thanks for your help in advance guys
post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirra View Post
Weird isnt it was thinking much the same running rich BUT has holes drilled and a slip on. Idle screws were about 1.5 turn out and 2 3/4 out on the other side.

I took the carb bowl off and had a look at the jets all were clean except the pilot which i cleaned and poped back in refitted bowl and readjusted the screws to 2 out on the one closes to the throttle cable side and 3 turns out on the other side. Put every thing back together put fresh fuel in the tank went to go crank it over and just my luck.... starter clutch slips, in all fairness it has been making noises the last couple of times iv been out.

Correct me if im wrong on any of the above but the clog through the starter motor plate is spinning both directions with resistance but still only by my fingers, s im assuming starter clutch?

Labour and parts down here in New Zealand is just not an option so im trying to trouble shoot/fix things myself.

L&A starter clutch 52T wheel gaskets etc seems to be the biz? Ebay $350.00nz landed compared to $700.00 plus here in the local market

Thanks for your help in advance guys
Yeah if you can spin the 52T gear with your fingers it's definitely gone. I just had to replace mine a couple weeks ago on my 01. I chose the L&A one and it feels rock solid. Hopefully it lasts since it seems to be the highest recommended replacement.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

cool thats sorted then, did cross my mind to get a cheap "ideal" brand but nah. do the job right the first time and not worry about it again.

Also forgot to mention new spark plug gaped to .31 and coil hope the gaping is right?
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
cool thats sorted then, did cross my mind to get a cheap "ideal" brand but nah. do the job right the first time and not worry about it again.

Also forgot to mention new spark plug gaped to .31 and coil hope the gaping is right?
I am not sure about the gap. I've always just bought new plugs when something goes wrong since they are so cheap. Lately I've been ruining plugs from having problems running rich
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:45 PM
Lifetime VIP

Send a message via AIM to t web2007
Quote:
Hi all newbie here feel free to move if iv posted in wrong area

Im totally new to quads sorry please excuse me if i sound stupid....

My 660 has had a full rebuild but the problem i have is it seems to be running rich as in spark plug is black as the ace of spades and it shoots out black smoke with the odd flame when reving in neutral it also struggles to start and idle. once its running it runs mint or so i thought (ill get to this part ) but once you let off the throttle after reaching the top of a dune for example and try idle down the other side it stalls, iv got to keep toggling the throttle to keep it going.

Mods as far as i can see are as follow:

Holes drilled on top of the air box
Standard filter
Slip on HMF pipe
140 - 145 jets
22.5 pilot

Now the other part.... although it seems to pull hard i just cant seem to pull away for a my friends pesky LTZ400s and YFZ450s

Iv got the carb out but im not to keen on touching the inside.
Your jetting is very lean. Unless you are riding above 1km in elevation.

2015 700Rse
Fci, PC5F/I, monster power tip, Cuervo tuning, ais delete, +4 stellar swingarm.

02 660r
FMF powerbomb & titanium 4, k&n no lid, vittos jet kit, streamline stabilizer, +6 lonestar axle, yfz shocks, CFM oil tank

08 yfz450se
Sparks big core, k&n no lid, yz needle, yz timing mod
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

thats what i was thinking but doesnt a black spark plug indicate a rich mixture?
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:18 PM
Lifetime VIP

Send a message via AIM to t web2007
Quote:
thats what i was thinking but doesnt a black spark plug indicate a rich mixture?
Not always. Extremely lean can look black, lean usually white. Any chance you're losing oil?

2015 700Rse
Fci, PC5F/I, monster power tip, Cuervo tuning, ais delete, +4 stellar swingarm.

02 660r
FMF powerbomb & titanium 4, k&n no lid, vittos jet kit, streamline stabilizer, +6 lonestar axle, yfz shocks, CFM oil tank

08 yfz450se
Sparks big core, k&n no lid, yz needle, yz timing mod
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:36 AM
Master of the Electron

With holes in the airbox you MUST run about 160 left / 165 right Mikuni (or DJ 146 L / 148 R) mains AND DJ needles; else you have the symptoms you describe.

Spark plug condition means nothing unless you do a carefully orchestrated plug chop.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'02 Honda 400ex, DiamondJ +3 A-arm widener, Lonestar anti-vibe
New Toy: '16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode