Raptor Forum banner

Alba Racing +2 Front Swing Arm Install

9K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  aSweatyFatNinja 
#1 · (Edited)
Alba Racing +2 Front Control Arms Installed

Couldn't make the Raptor rally this year due to a busted ankle, but I could still do the upgrades via a Snap-On roll-around chair.

Anyways, bought the Alba +2 fronts, rear Tusk extended hubs, and extended brake lines. All the front suspension looks and performs like it is factory original. So, when I did the shake down run a few weeks ago, it was easy to find the ball-joints were either toast or I toasted them.

I am still going to use the existing suspension for now, but plan to change up to a long-travel option for next season (unless something blows out). The more I read, the more it seems like an absolute to have Jocaga (Kevin) build them to suit.

To call myself out... it was about 10pm when I tool this shot, but it wasn't later until I realized that I got lazy. Despite laying everything out, I still managed to install the upper arms backwards. It took a little head-scratching to realize what I did, 'cause something didn't seem right when the arm would rub the strut.

Also, I chose to run just two spacers on the front of the arm; since most of the riding is going to be in sand. Has anyone found a different setup they like? Also, has anyone ran this way in the woods?

I was really glad to have put the rear hubs on to even the bike out.

Although the bling is nice, you can't see it very well. So, that was definitely not a factor in the purchase.

See less See more
Reactions: Scotscockney
#2 · (Edited)
The pictures don't do it as much justice.

My camber and toe looks to be in a little to much, but should be able to get it dialed in quickly next time out. Any of you sand rats have a preference on your own camber and toe settings? I have not had to deal with any of this before since my background is on two wheels.

And, on a side note.... Thank you to all the companies and their sticker swag.... except Alba! Apparently they are above that type of marketing, LOL.

#3 ·
Looks great!

Some companies just get it. Sticker swag is a great thing, my beer fridge has tons on there from purchases. Helps remind me of who to buy from again actually. Repeat customer no doubt!

Reactions: ian77
#5 ·
Do you mean camber?.
Ahhh, yes. That is exactly what I meant. Sorry, posting while working.

I believe my camber may be to far in for the sand, but was curious how other sand riders may have their alignments setup. (This would be for sand tires).

#6 ·
Also, I chose to run just two spacers on the front of the arm; since most of the riding is going to be in sand. Has anyone found a different setup they like? Also, has anyone ran this way in the woods?

i really havent messed with my spacers i got one in the front and one in the back. I dont even change it when i ride mx. ( i probably should)

#8 ·
I really havent messed with my spacers i got one in the front and one in the back. I dont even change it when i ride mx. ( i probably should)
I am a little skeptical on what kind of impact they really have. So, it's a little funny you've just left it in the "average" setting, but at the same time, how much labor time have you saved yourself?

I also run those same rear hubs, i havent had any issues with them so far.
Good to hear. They are pretty stout, and seemed a lot easier and inexpensive for compensating for the front versus a new rear axle.

#7 ·
I also run those same rear hubs, i havent had any issues with them so far.

#10 ·
I think i may play around with them some just to see how much of a difference there is. Honestly shouldnt take too long jack it up take two bolts out move the spacers and put them back in. Usually i do a pre-ride check with it jacked up anyway.

#11 ·
It is super quick to swap them around. If their was going to be a noticeable difference, I would not have any problems swapping them around depending on which terrain. I'm right there with you. It's already going to be jacked up and getting an inspection and tires swapped out.

#12 ·
Toe-In should be set by the service manual. The front tires closer to each other at the front than the rear, but it's usually not visible.
They are only "toed in" enough so that the tires spread out to paralell once they start rolling.
For camber, they look ok, or at least are at good starting point.
Since there is no factory adjustment, there is no factory setting (I know you have aftermarket adjustable arms, I do too).
However, I am a woods, trail, and pavement rider.
I have never ridden in sand, and am unfamiliar if they set up the front end any differently.
Rider weight affects suspension sag, and the laden sag will affect your baseline camber setting.
I think that the trail setup, which is measure, ride, adjust, measure, repeat; would be the same, or a very similiar, trial and error initial setup. With fine adjustments after.
Please update your thread as you progress. I'de like to hear what you end up with.

#13 ·
Don't get me wrong, and forgive me for referring to castor earlier, but I understand what each adjustment is and what it is for. The factory service manual was one of the first things I printed and put into a binder, and Alba also offered fantastic instructions for the install and performing the adjustments for both the toe and camber.

The fact that the toe looked a little more toe "in" means I need to adjust it out because I agree. If I can see it is to far, it is probably to far. Alba states the toe should be 1/8" in on either side. I believe I am more like 1/2" to 3/4" (yikes). The camber numbers are supposed to be the same, and believe my camber is in again about 1/2".

If all goes well, I will be out on the sand Sunday. Which I will spend the first hour or whatever trying the dial in the toe and camber. The toe kind of sucks to do because, as far as I am concerned does not have an "exact" way to calibrate. The camber on the other hand is a sweet piece of cake! I just didn't bring in my framing square, so I used a straight edge I had in the shop. Alba designed the upper arm with a removable/ adjustable tie-rod end that takes about two seconds to adjust.

I guess ultimately I just wanted to see if others have already been down this road, but yes I will definitely pass on what comes of Sundays alignment adjustments.

#14 ·
The easiest way that I have found to adjust toe in/out, is tape on a concrete floor. And an extra set of hands, or ass on the seat around your weight while you measure and mark.
Ride it, and check your measurements again.
And yeah, it can be a pain getting both tie rods just right.

#16 ·
To follow up...

dialed in the toe quite a bit. To the point where it loos vertical when the suspension is loaded. I left the camber alone; in further than recommended.

The bike seemed to have handled very well in the sand. I love the new wider front arms and rear hubs. I didn't think the increase in stability would be as noticeable in the seat. I definitely liked less toe in the sand. Camber I am still on the fence about.

Reactions: ian77
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.