12-17-2014 05:49 PM
by nell808
Last post by nell808
Yesterday 11:31 PM
9 Replies, 101 Views
» Sponsors
Go Back   Yamaha Raptor Forum > Raptor 660 Categories > Raptor 660 Suspension

LinkBack LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorsForever View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-3-4-400mm...item2a16c3fe42

Would that work? I am really a noob to atv stuff so please be patient.
DO NOT BUY THE RFY'S... Dad bought them for my sisters 250 Honda, had them set and all that stuff but she went out and rode (Lightly, shes only 10) on the MX track and the shocks blew out in a matter of about a lap and a half... So just sayin, don't buy these...
GYTR Full Exhaust
GYTR Nerf Bars
GYTR Aluminum Heel Guards
ITP Quad MX Rear
Hiper Dual Bead Carbon Fiber Rears
Works Connection Clutch Lever
Fasst Flexx Bars
Hicklin Powersports Team Rider
-----------------------------------------------------------
2011 NCIMS Mini Quad Junior Open Class Champion
-----------------------------------------------------------
RPM Race Photos
BMP202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJohns View Post
order this i have a similar kit and i jump a little wheelie and trail ride.

then order this to match the front width.

i have both of these installed on mine and they are safe. many people on here are scared of them but you won't have much fun on one of these atv's being a puss.
When I first got my 660 I bought a lowering kit for ice racing. When summer rolled around I decided I liked the lowered feel/look and so I just kept it on for summer riding. I went to the local sand hill and learned that lowering kits are quite unpleasant in the whoops at any kind of speed. When I got to the trail system (which also had some whoops in it) I noticed that the front end gets soft and while it seemed more stable in high speed cornering it also responded harshly to hitting any kind of obstacle at moderate speeds. But it became more about safety and less about "being a puss" when I bent my left front shock and ripped the upper shock mount almost completely off the frame because I got too much air in the dunes while running a lowering kit.

Therefore when I see that someone wants their machine lower and has decided to take a short cut to get there I would rather suggest a shorter pair of shocks than a lowering kit (though aftermarket suspension is the preferred path). Yes the shorter shocks might bottom out but they will be more structurally sound than a pair of brackets flopping in the wind (you can tighten them but when the suspension unloads there is a rotational force on those connections first and a tensile load on the shock second) which have a much greater impact on the mounting angles of the shocks.

I don't wish to attack someone for running a lowering kit if they're happy on it, and I don't believe I have in this thread, I would only ever advise caution.

Mad Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #33 (permalink)
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
When I first got my 660 I bought a lowering kit for ice racing. When summer rolled around I decided I liked the lowered feel/look and so I just kept it on for summer riding. I went to the local sand hill and learned that lowering kits are quite unpleasant in the whoops at any kind of speed. When I got to the trail system (which also had some whoops in it) I noticed that the front end gets soft and while it seemed more stable in high speed cornering it also responded harshly to hitting any kind of obstacle at moderate speeds. But it became more about safety and less about "being a puss" when I bent my left front shock and ripped the upper shock mount almost completely off the frame because I got too much aBir in the dunes while running a lowering kit.

Therefore when I see that someone wants their machine lower and has decided to take a short cut to get there I would rather suggest a shorter pair of shocks than a lowering kit (though aftermarket suspension is the preferred path). Yes the shorter shocks might bottom out but they will be more structurally sound than a pair of brackets flopping in the wind (you can tighten them but when the suspension unloads there is a rotational force on those connections first and a tensile load on the shock second) which have a much greater impact on the mounting angles of the shocks.

I don't wish to attack someone for running a lowering kit if they're happy on it, and I don't believe I have in this thread, I would only ever advise caution.
Got a question for Mad Dog. Why do you lower the bikes for Ice racing. We tried this years ago in oval tracking and found better results with riding more normal heights. Reason I'm asking is my son is planning on doing some ice racing this winter ...............

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
willykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJohns View Post
order this i have a similar kit and i jump a little wheelie and trail ride.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-Rapto...#ht_762wt_1187

then order this to match the front width.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DuraBlue-Rea...#ht_2453wt_954

i have both of these installed on mine and they are safe. many people on here are scared of them but you won't have much fun on one of these atv's being a puss.

I have spacers on the back but I really don't wanna get front spacers because It seems those are only good for mainly flat track usage.

FMF Gold Pipe
Powercore II
Vforce III
No airbox
UNI Pod Filter
Jetted
Oil Injection Blocked Off
Pro-Action Rear Shock
ITP Wheels With Holeshots 19' (front)
Douglas Wheels With Bazookas 18' (rear)
DG Nerf Bars
Fly Handlebars

More to Come...
RaptorsForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #35 (permalink)

i don't use front spacers the lowering kit i have widened the front about 2in. also, due to kicking the shocks out a bit. and yes i agree DO NOT MX ON THE LOWERING KIT!
01 660 DG pro-v bumper DG, grab bar, pro designs powershifter, K&N filter, tag grips, and lowered 3.5in. ITP SS112 black wheels, ITP GNCC tires and raptor eyes.coming soon: yoshi RS-3 slip on, new chain, and seat cover
MAJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #36 (permalink)

Majohns are you from Kentucky? Saw the t&t sticker on your bike?
Joagaca suspension,gytr frame skid,yfz calipers,powermadd hand guards,prodesign shifter,fasst flexx bars,rox risers,t.m. design chain guide,+2 lonestar swinger,billet dash,x-rex rears, klaw xc fronts,ebay bumper,prodesign case saver,primary drive sprockets and chain, all balls wheel bearings,+2+1 lonestar a-arms,+2 g force axle,vitos jet kit,link flip,ac pro peg nerf,amradillo swinger skid,sparks exhaust,prodesign intake,foam filter,outterwear,no lid

jsanders347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #37 (permalink)

no i am from alabama. i ordered my grips and the decals came with them so i said what the hell this looks like a good place for them.
01 660 DG pro-v bumper DG, grab bar, pro designs powershifter, K&N filter, tag grips, and lowered 3.5in. ITP SS112 black wheels, ITP GNCC tires and raptor eyes.coming soon: yoshi RS-3 slip on, new chain, and seat cover
MAJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #38 (permalink)

I too want to lower my rappy, but just a little. Already have the 450 shocks. I race cross country style racing. My question is what about redrilling the upper shock mounting brackets. I'm not wanting to go hog wild with lowering, just enough to help with cornering. I figure i can drill the upper mount almost 3/4" higher. Would that give any significant help in handaling?
hilllbillyjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #39 (permalink)
Lifetime VIP

i wouldn't re drill the upper mounts. More holes=less material=less strength. Just my opinion.
dyce51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #40 (permalink)

I would actually be drilling the new holes closer to the top of the shock mount where the top of the c chanel is. It would provide more strength than lower on the tabs where it is now. I would also have to cut and clearence where the existing hole is to fit the shock. Kinda like clearencing for the 450 shocks only 3/4" higher.
hilllbillyjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement