Raptor 660 electrical problems - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Raptor 660 electrical problems

I recently got a 2003 raptor 660 and I was out riding yesterday and it just died. It lost all electrical power and it wasn't the battery because I just bought the battery a day prior and I hooked up a battery charger to the four wheeler and it still had no power. I did change the sub frame so maybe I unhooked something that I didn't mean to? Or i thought maybe the CDI box went out or the ignition coil went out, I did actually ride for about two hours on the new battery before it died. I don't know but if you know what it could be then please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by Domonic38w; 04-18-2016 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Left something out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Raptor 660 electrical problems

I recently got a 2003 raptor 660 and I was out riding yesterday and it just died. It lost all electrical power and it wasn't the battery because I just bought the battery a day prior and I hooked up a battery charger to the four wheeler and it still had no power. I did change the sub frame so maybe I unhooked something that I didn't mean to? I did actually ride for about two hours on the new battery before it died. I don't know but if you know what it could be then please let me know. Thanks.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 01:26 AM
Master of the Electron

Recharge the battery - does it run now?

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'02 Honda 400ex, DiamondJ +3 A-arm widener, Lonestar anti-vibe
New Toy: '16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I did, but sadly no.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I did hook up the battery and jump the solenoid and the starter did start to spin so I'm thinking it's the ignition that is wrong?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 04:28 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Sounds like a bad ignition switch or wiring. Disconnect the switch wires at the harness plug and jump across the 2 wires. Also, as said, charge your battery, all new batteries require trickle/float charging for a few days.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 66HP @ OCP. CUERVO +1 HEAD, HDD 5050, 11:1 CP, +5 HR, PC5, DMC FORCE 4, +2 TB, FCI, LONE STAR XC +1, HD TIE RODS, CCP, WORKS, JOKERS +1 STEM, RDZ CHAIN TENSIONER, ASV, +2 1/2 FACTORY SWINGARM, +4 ALBA AXLE, +2 REAR HUBS, DR.D, ODI, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. GYTR: BRAKE LEVER, SHIFT LEVER, NERF BARS, HEAL GUARDS. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, OIL DIPSTICK, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS, FLUIDYNE RADIATOR, GRIPPER SEAT, 3 OHM COIL, PLUG WIRE MOD. 1.6 CAP
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 04:52 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

You only need one thread for the same problem. It only confused things.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 66HP @ OCP. CUERVO +1 HEAD, HDD 5050, 11:1 CP, +5 HR, PC5, DMC FORCE 4, +2 TB, FCI, LONE STAR XC +1, HD TIE RODS, CCP, WORKS, JOKERS +1 STEM, RDZ CHAIN TENSIONER, ASV, +2 1/2 FACTORY SWINGARM, +4 ALBA AXLE, +2 REAR HUBS, DR.D, ODI, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. GYTR: BRAKE LEVER, SHIFT LEVER, NERF BARS, HEAL GUARDS. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, OIL DIPSTICK, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS, FLUIDYNE RADIATOR, GRIPPER SEAT, 3 OHM COIL, PLUG WIRE MOD. 1.6 CAP

Last edited by DEZPERADO; 04-19-2016 at 05:09 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the heads up Dez, merged threads.

Mike

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, I didn't know exactly where to post it so I just posted it twice.

But I did put the battery on the trickle charger for about two days beforehand and it worked for a few hours before the raptor died while I was riding and the dash wouldn't come on(no neutral or reverse light) and it wouldn't turn over. Im also Confused by what you mean by jumping across the two wires?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I found the problem, a couple of blown fuses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode