Raptor 660 Carb Issues - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Raptor 660 Carb Issues

So I got my 04 Rappy on trade for my KX250 bike. It initially would start up and idle, but soon as you would touch the throttle it would sputter & backfire. I checked the wire bypasses & they had already been done. I put it in the shop here at the local Yamaha dealer to have the carbs checked. I was told that somebody had put in the wrong jets. So the local Yamaha shop synced, rejetted, and adjusted the air/fuel mixture, and put in a new spark plug. I got it home and fired up easy. I gave it a run & when I hit high RPM it would start to sputter again. I parked it and when I next tried to start it up it, it cranks over, but will not start. It's getting spark...I found that out haha. I pulled the new plug out & it's already fouled. It's black with some residue on it.

I've searched these forums & have found lots of great info, I just thought I'd ask for your guys opinions. Everything I've read so far has been nothing but help. I've got a guy supposed to work on the carbs this weekend. Any info I could pass along to him to help fix the issue?
The Yamaha shop said it sounds like the high rpm jets could possibly go down to a smaller size. Trying to keep avoiding high shop costs. I've already got $260 in the carbs from the first visit. I don't want to dump much more because I figure at that point I might as well just buy the FCR carbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:22 PM

richer then a 2 stroke 250..........What else is done. What kinda air filter, is everything sealing up? It have an exhaust on it. 1st i'd buy a manual and put it all back to stock as close as you can but the air filter. That needs a prodesign foam one.

2005 KFX700 some mods
2001 Raptor 660R too many mods
1987 YZ250 with Eric Gorr ported and bored motor, FMF Fatty pipe and silencer, 2006 YZ85 clutch perch/lever, 2006 YZ85 Front master cylinder/lever, CR-High Fly 7/8 bars 2005 YZ250 front number plate/fender KB5 suspension & banshee chain guide
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

The claimed it to be rebuilt with wiseco piston and crank. Stage 2 cam, stage 2 jetting, stage 3 cdi box, new timing chain and valve springs. It does have Alba full exhaust.

I personally believe everything is stock except the exhaust.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:48 PM

Well if its not rebuilt correct it could be pushing motor oil up thru the rings.

My buddies camam 500 some guy rebuilt it but didn't seat the rings right on the one cylinder so he had been riding around on a 250 all of last season lol.

Most dealerships can not do good work. If you can not dig into it i'd look for a race shop. I only use a dealership to have tires mounted and buy some oil that's about it.

2005 KFX700 some mods
2001 Raptor 660R too many mods
1987 YZ250 with Eric Gorr ported and bored motor, FMF Fatty pipe and silencer, 2006 YZ85 clutch perch/lever, 2006 YZ85 Front master cylinder/lever, CR-High Fly 7/8 bars 2005 YZ250 front number plate/fender KB5 suspension & banshee chain guide
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:02 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Take it back to the steelership shop and tell them it's worse than before and fowls plugs. Don't wait, do it NOW. Have it repaired under their warranty at no charge to you except for the main jets. Always get your old parts back. You wanted it fixed the first time and they didn't do that, you shouldn't pay for that service again. Talk to a manager/owner if need be. Stand your ground!

Then, you'll get some jetting help from forum members for your mods.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 66HP @ OCP. CUERVO +1 HEAD, HDD 5050, 11:1 CP, +5 HR, PC5, DMC FORCE 4, +2 TB, FCI, LONE STAR XC +1, HD TIE RODS, CCP, WORKS, JOKERS +1 STEM, RDZ CHAIN TENSIONER, ASV, +2 1/2 FACTORY SWINGARM, +4 ALBA AXLE, +2 REAR HUBS, DR.D, ODI, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. GYTR: BRAKE LEVER, SHIFT LEVER, NERF BARS, HEAL GUARDS. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, OIL DIPSTICK, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS, FLUIDYNE RADIATOR, GRIPPER SEAT, 3 OHM COIL, PLUG WIRE MOD. 1.6 CAP
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

I talked to the mechanic at the shop that worked on & he did** mention oil possibly making it's way in there like oldskool mentioned. I'm guessing that it's all in the carbs though. It did want to bring the front end up and take off until it would sputter. The mechanic unfortunately said that he'd have to charge more in labor if I bring it back DEZPERADO. I'll see what the guy Saturday can do for me. If that doesn't help, maybe I'll just give in and get the FCR carbs when I can. From what I've read they make a huge difference. Do you guys know about them?

Last edited by Joshua A Treace; 01-13-2017 at 10:33 PM.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:41 PM

The carbs need cleaned and jetted. If you buy FCR's your going to be an extra $6-800 in and you will still have to have them jetted.

2003 Limited Edition Raptor
Kenz 720cc 11:1 stroker, +1 valves, Mega Cycle X-4 Cam, Sparks 6x Big Core, Keihin 35mm FCR's. 158 mains, 52 pilots, fuel screws 2 turns out.

97 Banshee
F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill, CPI Inframes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup. 158 mians, CEL needles second clip, #48 pilots, air scews 2.0 turns out.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LimitedEditionRaptor View Post
The carbs need cleaned and jetted. If you buy FCR's your going to be an extra $6-800 in and you will still have to have them jetted.
The shop had already cleaned them and rejetted them and synced them. It was an improvement but still had sputtering when I would mash the throttle and hit high rpm. Now it won't even fire, spark plug was pretty nasty & it was new as well.

From everything I've read online FCR's are the best upgrade you can make on these Raptors even if your quad is stock.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

I just put a new plug in to see if it would start & no luck. It just turned over like it has been. There is a slight amount of oil on the new plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spark plug.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	117281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spark plug2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	117289  
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Well I just finally got to taking the carbs off & the bowls. Checked them & gave a quick cleaning, they weren't dirty. Assembled, still wouldn't start. Squirted some starting fluid & it fired right up. Back fired right out of the carbs & the exhaust. You could actually hear small backfiring from inside the carbs. It wouldn't idle, had to stay on the gas a little. Ran like such shit. I'm thinking I might just have to order a rebuild kit & new diaphragms and let the shop adjust them again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode