Coolant questions
04-20-2014 07:15 PM
Last post by morphrider
Today 07:49 AM
38 Replies, 375 Views
» Sponsors
Go Back   Yamaha Raptor Forum > Raptor 660 Categories > Raptor 660 Maintenance

LinkBack LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to betterdays469
Default Raptor won't start, sounds off time, backfiring out carb

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my 04 raptor 660, i'm about ready to burn it to the ground the way it's been treating me! Here's the problem this time.
Story starts in Glamis over new years, ended up frying my cdi box and had to get towed a couple miles from the middle of nowhere. Well, even tho my dynatek box wasn't under warranty, i sent it back to them, and Larry from Dynatek made sure i got a brand new one for free! They're stand up guys over there. ANyways.... I figured during the down time, i'll adjust the valves. So i went to raptortranny.com and printed out the instructions, and adjusted them. I also had bought a stock cdi box so i could start the thing while i was waiting for my dynatek replacement. I also replaced my one-way starter clutch with an L&A clutch cuz my raptor was gettin worse and worse starting up. I did that, put it back together, it started up. I adjusted the valves, put it back together, started right up. That one way gear worked great, only had to tap the starter button and it fired right away. So i was done for the night and closed up shop. So the next day i go to the garage, and gas was on the ground. Seems i forgot to shut the gas off, and somehow my carb got stuck opened and all my gas was gone from the tank. I thought it leaked out the carb. I started the raptor, started right up, but i had gas coming out my vent tube from the crank case. I had let it idle a couple minutes, shut it off. Well i took the carb apart, got it to shut finally, guess the float had gotten stuck or needle wasn't seeting right. So i went to start it, nothing, turned over, didn't start. After a while, i gave up and took an hour break. Came back, and the damn thing started right up! Checked my oil, and all that gas had somehow gotten in my motor and mixed with my oil, so i drained the oil/gas, and refilled with new oil. Well now the raptor wouldn't start again. This is where it gets interesting. The thing started backfiring out of the exhaust, and i don't mean sputter sputter, i mean like a gun shot, loud as hell. Everytime i pressed the throttle and gave it some gas, it would backfire LOUD, shooting a flame. Well i checked my valves, things seemed to be ok. Tried starting it, then it backfired out of my carb, and blew a hole in the carb boot, so i got that replaced, thing still wouldn't start. I checked it's getting spark, i even switched to a new plug. I shot some carb spray in it, held the throttle wide open, and it started, but was backfiring and would only run with the throttle full open, and after about 5 seconds of that, the exhaust was instantly fire hot and started smoking, so i shut it down. My exhaust has never been so hot, and only after 5 seconds! I have rechecked my valves, adjusted them all again and again, even the exhaust ones. The raptor just won't start now. If i shoot some spray down the carbs, it will backfire through the carb, that's about it. Matter of fact shot a lil flame out of the left side of the carb. The thing is acting like it's out of time, but i have never heard of a quad just jumping time unless the chain broke, which it hasn't, everything is moving. I thought maybe i messed something when i adjusted the valves or did the one way clutch, but it started after i did all that with no problems. The problems seemed to start after the gas got in the motor. Though it ran and idled even with the gas in the motor. But slowly stopped starting, the one time it sat for an hour after not starting, and then started, but that was the last time it ever ran. I'm tired of working on the damn thing honestly. But i wanted to get other people's input on this problem to maybe help me diagnose this, could be something i'm overlooking. So if you have any ideas on what i could check and how to check it, that would be great! I'm all ears. I got the new cdi box, it's in. The quad has alot of aftermarket stuff on it, but nothing that would be relevant to this problem i don't think. Also, what should the compression be if i tested it when it's cold?? I don't think that's the problem, because it ran, then stopped starting, i never even rode it, it just idled for a couple minutes.
Sorry about the novel, but i didn't want to leave out any details that might be important! I would appreciate anybody's help on this.
betterdays469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Raptor won't start, sounds off time, backfiring out carb

Sounds to me like your valves are too tight and the carbs need to be cleaned again. The valves are causing the popping and the carb is causing the non idle. I had a similar problem with my old 660. Make sure you did the valve adj correctly with a cold engine.

'08 700 LE. Gray and red.

Rob.
wickmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
rt

It sounds like timing issues too,..It might not have jumped time..as in teeth, but the chain could have stretched dramtically.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt
It sounds like timing issues too,..It might not have jumped time..as in teeth, but the chain could have stretched dramtically.
Not overnight though. With him doing the valve adjustment, I seen to think he made them too tight. That would definatly cause the troubles he is having.

'08 700 LE. Gray and red.

Rob.
wickmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm having the exact same problem with my Raptor (backfiring out the exhaust like a cannon) . This weekend I'm towing it to my father-in-laws and he is going to take a look at it. If we fix it I will reply to this post and it might be something that you could look at also.
<br />2005 Raptor 350<br />HMF Slip On<br />Pro Design Intake w/ K&amp;N<br />Dynojet Jet Kit<br />Razr 2 up front<br />Fake holeshot's in rear<br /><br />2002 Raptor 660R<br />GYT-R Exhaust<br />GYT-R Jet Kit<br />DG Nerf Bars<br />K&amp;N Filter<br />Holeshot XC F/R<br />ITP C-Series wheels
bart98stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Reasons why my bike has not started/backfired/stumbled:

Carb boot not sealed tight
Carb boot collapsed
Carb boot torn
Valve lash too tight
Needle diaphrams not seated
Poor Jetting
Hole in exhaust pipe
Missing/loose exhaust stud
Bad exhaust seal between midpipe/canister
Coil signal wire from CDI to coil pack - bad connection
Coil wire to spark plug not on all the way
Coil wire to spark plug fallen apart in plug wire (fuse/spring/contact point)
One-way sheared (may have just done this again this week)
Reverse and Parking Brake limiters (can cause problems when using throttle to start)
Ran out of gas
Gas line/petcock fuel leak
Fuel line pinched off

...I have more but I'm starting to go braindead trying to remember them all.

Mad Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well if i had adjusted the valves wrong in the first place, then it probably would never have started for me. But i started it after i replaced the one way starter clutch and after i adjusted the valves, and it also started the next day for me

HERE'S AN UPDATE

I went and tore into it again. I took the carb off, again, cleaned it, tho it was not dirty, noticed some little piece of rubber that were falling down where the 'walls' slide up and down, i think somethin might have gotten caught up when i was cleaning it, it looks like a guide for the metal slides that move up with you push the throttle, anyways, put it back together cuz it's not like it matters at this point. Put the carb back on, adjusted the valves, again, tried to start it, wouldn't start, adjusted valves again and again, every which way i could making sure they were all in spec, and all the intake were the same and the exhaust ones were the same, tried starting it in between with no luck. I then sprayed some gumout down the carb to try and give it a lil kick to start, nothin, at all, not even backfiring at this point. So THEN..... My gas tank falls off the bike, no biggy, i figure while it's off, lemme get some GAS to spray in the carb, i hold the throttle open, spray some gas, try to start it.. NOTHING.. I try it once more, spray some gas in it, press the start button, fires up!! so the thing's idling now like nothing ever happened. Exhaust seems to be getting hot kinda fast, but that could just be cuz i don't remember what it acts like when it's actually running..lol... so i let it idle, cuz i'm scared to shut it off. I hit the throttle a couple times, rev it up, when i hit the throttle kinda quick, it backfires a bit, shooting a lil flame out of the exhaust. I figured no biggy, could just be from sitting...Well i hit the throttle a couple times to quick rev it after it's been warming up for a few minutes... and it stalls... I go to start it again..... Won't Start again... Backfires out of the exhaust a couple times when it's turning over, couple loud bangs...but won't start. I tried the spraying gas trick again, won't start. I then walked away, before i sprayed the whole bike with gas and lit it. If my car ever treated me like this, i would get rid of it, or if my woman ever treated me this bad, bye bye..... but i love my raptor, i dunno why, glutton for punishment.

So with this new info, anyone have any ideas? It's obviously not totally shot to hell, cuz it was running for a few minutes, but i'm lost on this guys.......

Old 02-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Anybody have any thought on my update from last night after getting my quad started finally, but briefly? I have no idea what's going on and it's pretty frustrating actually, so if anyone could check out what i wrote and has some input, i'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2007, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Have you done a compression test? When you turn the motor over to set TDC for the valve addjustment can you feel it build compression?

A question to others, (you guys that have had numerous motors open) has anyone seen the decompression release stick, not retract?

If he drownd it in gas could a valve guide or rocker arm have gauled and then stick?
firstraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

I did a compression test, and it seemed kinda low, i did it when it first started not starting. Compression was at around 135 i believe, i can't remember. I'll do another one. I wasn't sure what it's supposed to be at, but i thought atleast 160 or 170. Could have read wrong also. I definitely feel compression being built up when i turn it to find TDC. The thing that gets me is the damn thing started up the other night, and then wouldn't start again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement