660 Wont stay running - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

660 Wont stay running

Ok this is my very first post, My raptor that I just bought from a guy like 2 months ago had been starting fine, one day I go to the garage to start it and all it does is pop and back fire, eventually tore the carbs down and cleaned them, nothing real bad, now that I put it back together it turns over but wont stay running, I actually stayed on the gas and it stayed running, as soon as I got off the gas it kills, sometime it will stay on, sometimes it wont, any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:24 PM

Welcome to the forum! Is this your first four wheel or raptor 660? Make sure that your carbs are fully seated in the boots. A big backfire can cause them to pop off and then your bike wont run or it will run very poorly

2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
DG Alloy Series Nerf bars
DG front bumper
DG full under and A arm skids
GYTR slip on exhaust
Jetted
Turf Tamers
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Yea this is my first, ok ill check that
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 09:02 PM

It sounds like you could still have something in your pilot jets.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 02:22 PM

I had an issue like this, my raptor wouldnt stay on and wasnt getting full power. The wire that is connected underneath the front sprocket was my problem. All i did was tighten it up and it ran fine. Just a possibility takes 10 seconds to check.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 04:48 PM
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-v View Post
Ok this is my very first post, My raptor that I just bought from a guy like 2 months ago had been starting fine, one day I go to the garage to start it and all it does is pop and back fire, eventually tore the carbs down and cleaned them, nothing real bad, now that I put it back together it turns over but wont stay running, I actually stayed on the gas and it stayed running, as soon as I got off the gas it kills, sometime it will stay on, sometimes it wont, any suggestions?
Possible parkbrake rev limiter is coming on, check the switches by the park brake handle or just disconnect the wires from the main harness and seal the plugin............ green and yellow wire and a black wire

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Master of the Electron

Read "Most Common Problems with the Raptor 660", a sticky at top of the General 660 Discussion section - pay attention to the RPM limiter section, as Willy has suggested. Does this sound like your problem?

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'02 Honda 400ex, DiamondJ +3 A-arm widener, Lonestar anti-vibe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode