911 Ride to Remember
08-20-2014 04:03 PM
Last post by morphrider
Yesterday 07:44 PM
3 Replies, 156 Views
» Sponsors
Go Back   Yamaha Raptor Forum > Raptor 660 Categories > Raptor 660 Maintenance

LinkBack LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default primary drive gear problems

I have a 2003 660 Raptor that I bought for my son a year and half ago. Last year we noticed a rattling in the bottom of motor. Upon inspection we found several gears missing teeth. So we replaced them ( clutch basket, primary drive gear, oil pump gear and water pump gear ) all replaced. Also flushed out the bottom end and got several broken teeth out using a magnet as well. It has ran good all winter until last week we noticed the rattling again. Tore it down today and the primary drive gear (the smaller one) has 10 teeth missing ! Anyone know whats causing this ? Thanks
shelrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelrad1 View Post
I have a 2003 660 Raptor that I bought for my son a year and half ago. Last year we noticed a rattling in the bottom of motor. Upon inspection we found several gears missing teeth. So we replaced them ( clutch basket, primary drive gear, oil pump gear and water pump gear ) all replaced. Also flushed out the bottom end and got several broken teeth out using a magnet as well. It has ran good all winter until last week we noticed the rattling again. Tore it down today and the primary drive gear (the smaller one) has 10 teeth missing ! Anyone know whats causing this ? Thanks
Do you ever use an impact gun to remove the retaining nuts on the shafts............

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
willykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master of the Electron

Often the loss of one tooth, through whatever process (and Willy has described one) will lead, shortly, to the loss of additionals.
'02 Honda 400ex, DiamondJ +3 A-arm widener, Lonestar anti-vibe
QuadManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

No, I havnt used an impact gun. I forgot to mention that on the clutch cover, inside where the clutch pin slips in there is a "loop" that holds the clutch pin straight. This loop is broken off now. Last time I went thru this problem the part was cracked in the same place. It was replaced with a used one from e-bay.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
I am unique

Quote:
No, I havnt used an impact gun. I forgot to mention that on the clutch cover, inside where the clutch pin slips in there is a "loop" that holds the clutch pin straight. This loop is broken off now. Last time I went thru this problem the part was cracked in the same place. It was replaced with a used one from e-bay.
Are these new gears you installed or used. ..........

Old 04-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

They were used gears off e-bay, and I just bought some more used ones ( someone parting out an engine).
Old 04-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
I am unique

Quote:
They were used gears off e-bay, and I just bought some more used ones ( someone parting out an engine).
So really you have no idea what these other gears went through before you install them, good luck with the second set of gears.........

Old 04-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master of the Electron

Yet, it's strange that the same failure mode (same broken gears and same place in the side cover has broken) has occurred twice - once with the original parts and now again with a second, albeit used, set. Of course, we don't really know if the first break you experienced was on the original parts - the previous owner could have gone through this too...

Anybody seen similar failures in their 660's? Willy, you mention impact wrench damage - have you seen or heard of damage to the side case from this also?

Shelrad: A little more detail on the 'loop' that holds the 'pin' might help us determine where the unusual loads are being generated, but these descriptions don't lead us to what really broke...

You can download the service manual from the top of the 660 maintenance section. Would you please re-describe this issue using parts names from the manual?
'02 Honda 400ex, DiamondJ +3 A-arm widener, Lonestar anti-vibe

Last edited by QuadManiac; 04-24-2012 at 11:52 AM.
QuadManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
Yet, it's strange that the same failure mode (same broken gears and same place in the side cover has broken) has occurred twice - once with the original parts and now again with a second, albeit used, set.

Anybody seen similar failures in their 660's?
He should post some pictures of the affected gears. I personally had problems with gears blowing but they drove the counterbalanced. This caused serious damage.........

Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

First off thanks for trying to help me out here. All the gears that were affected are mentioned at the beginning of the thread. The loop I described is on the right side clutch cover (inside). Its what the clutch release lever slides into to hold it stationary (inside in the middle). The one that was on it when I bought the bike was cracked when we had the first problems. When we replaced all the gears mentioned at beginning of thread we also replaced the clutch cover with a good used one from e-bay. Now the loop is not just cracked like last time, it is broken off along with 10 teeth on the primary drive gear (the smaller one). If you have a clymer shop manual the part on the cover im describing is on page 121 photo 6 item C. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement