Raptor Forum banner

putting new tires on... in the garage or take it somewhere?

3K views 49 replies 11 participants last post by  DEZPERADO 
#1 ·
so do you guys guys take the rims/tires somewhere or do you do it in the garage?

Difficult?

#2 ·
I would rather pay someone $20 to do 4 tires than me waste hours wrestling and cussing. Makes me mad just thinking about it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#34 ·
X2 I just bring it to a local shop. They charge $10 a tire though, but whatever saves myself the hassle and it's done within minutes for me to hit the trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
It's just my opinion but a truck tire is a walk in the park compared to a 20" tire on a 9" wheel.

#6 ·
before I got my beadlocks I just let the air out and took a 2 or 3 foot post with a 45 degree angle cut off the end and set it to the edge of the rim and drove my truck on the post to break the bead worked pretty good but not responsible for injury or messed up parts lol

#7 ·
Oh. Yeah I've never really worried about that lol. I usually soak the bead in wd40 and drive over the tire to break the bead. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't.

#8 ·
I think harbor freight sells a bead breaker for atvs. Not sure of the quality or how it performs.

#10 ·
Whenever we were younger we used a dremel and gardening pruning shears to cut the tires off. Lol. The ignorance of teenagers.

#11 ·
def a pita imo but j is right harbor freight does sell a bead breaker but in my experience harbor freight tools are JUNK!! it goes with the saying u get wat u pay for

#13 ·
I usual do my own, but some times I have a stubborn one I'll take to Les Swaub. But they aren't open at 11pm the night before your big ride. Get yourself a cheap tire machine (well under $100) from Harbor Freight and 2 or 3 tire irons. Cut a 2in hole in a old towel laid on the base to protect the wheel. There are also plastic/teflon rim protectors available. Use plenty of water/dish soap solution for lube. When using tire irons, take little bites, don't try to to do to much each time. Look at the the wheel, most will mount only from one side. If you want to mount wheels and tires, you dont need a machine, just soap and a few irons. The first side will ususlly push and twist on the wheel, then tire irons on the rest. If you have directional tires, be sure to mount in the correct direction, no mater who does them.

Think of it as another tool for your collection. If you don't want to mount it to your floor, mount to a piece of plywood big enough to stand on.

#16 ·
#18 ·
Yep the portable one has paid for itself 10 times over. I have one and it had done lots of tires form 8" rims up to 18" rims. But on the thin rims you have to be careful because they will bend. Only had one set of tires I couldn't get off. A blade and grinder with a cutoff wheel and I got them dismounted:lol:

#21 ·
What is the starter fluid for?

#28 ·
Flame on. I've never used that method but I've seen it years ago. I've got a good compressor thats has good flow, and give the tire a good quick push with my chest. And of course, water/soap spray. About 75%/25%. Dawn dish soap works well.

As said, get rim protectors. I don't remember where I got mine from, but they snap over the rim lip.

#29 ·
You can use any flamable spray, either, brake/carb cleaner, wd40 or even deodorant and hair spray.

#31 ·
Watched a guy in the dunes do that on his truck. Used a lot of sand throwing on there to put out his truck which caught fire. Interesting evening, lol. I take my tires to discount tire. Not worth the frustration.

#36 ·
LoL! No one told him to maybe take the tire off first? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.