Raptor Forum banner

Need Help Installing Nets on Nerf Bars

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  EZ2findHard2lose 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I bought a set of Nerf Bars off eBay a couple months ago and got a really great deal. I finally got around to installing them and man what a PIA these nets are to install!

Shown below is the diagram that came with them that shows how to weave the nets onto the Nerfs.

OK, so there are 4 slots in each bracket and the diagram shows to start weaving the webbing from the top slot. If I were to number each slot with top being #1, the diagram shows in #1, out #2, in #3, out #4.

Seems simple, right? Well the webbing is somewhat stiff on the ends and the slots are so close to each other that its practically impossible to make it go in #1 and guide it out #2. I mean I struggled and and was finally able to get one started but it was not easy. And that's only half the battle, I still needed to go back in # 3 and out #4. And I have 11 of these brackets on each Nerf for a total of 22 brackets I need to weave the webs through!

I got frustrated and gave up and my girlfriend was like what's the matter honey? I showed her the root of my frustration. While I was BBQing some burgers on the grill she took matters into her own hands. She disregarded the instructions and did it a different way. She weaved it as follows:

in #1, down through and out #4, back up and in#3, then out #2. This was much easier and she had both nets installed in like 20 minutes (see last pic below).

They seem to hold just fine this way and like I said, it's practically impossible to do it like the directions state. So, my questions are:

1.) Is there anything wrong with weaving it through the alternate way she did? From what I read, brackets with only 3 slots are weaved this way. So is it safe to do it this way with 4 slots?
2.) What should I do with the excess that's hanging out?
3.) Should the nets be as tight as possible or is there some reason for leavening a little slack in them so they hang down slightly?

See less See more
#2 ·
If they are not slipping, I'd say leave them. Leave the extra length, just tuck it in somewhere if you can. If you must shorten, use a "hot knife" to prevent fraying. Make them tight now, they'll stretch during use. Lastly, thank the GF!

#3 ·
Lastly, thank the GF!
She was a tremendous help, not only with installing the nets, but also with installing the Nerfs onto the bike. It wasn't an easy install but with her help, they're on. :thumbsup:

I had some of those cable zip-ties we used to tuck up the excess netting (didn't have enough black ones) which will do for now.

I actually got these for new, for $40 (+ $40 shipping) off eBay. What I liked about them was:

1.) They don't use the front motor mounts (see third pic).
2.) They replace the flimsy plastic factory heal-guards.
3.) They have better (wider & longer) foot-pegs than the OEM pegs.

They seem very strong and look good. Hope they hold up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.