2016 Raptor wobble in dunes - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

2016 Raptor wobble in dunes

So I purchased a brand new 700 in may 2016, purchased new rear paddles and headed to the dunes. I get a weird somewhat violent wobble when it starts to bog going up a long dune and as I am side hilling. First I thought it was the paddles so I switched with my brothers sand stars from his 450 and that didn't matter. Next I started on the front end thinking maybe it was because I wasn't using smooth fronts, so I purchased those also no change. Next i started thinking maybe it could be the alignment and that is where I am at now. My question is could not having enough toe-in cause this? Any other suggestions? Quad has never been flipped, mishandled, banged up etc.

P.S. I have been riding in the dunes for 15 years on everything from banshees to Raptors all with no issues that is why I dont understand where this wobble is coming from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Lifetime VIP

Send a message via AIM to t web2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster6565 View Post
So I purchased a brand new 700 in may 2016, purchased new rear paddles and headed to the dunes. I get a weird somewhat violent wobble when it starts to bog going up a long dune and as I am side hilling. First I thought it was the paddles so I switched with my brothers sand stars from his 450 and that didn't matter. Next I started on the front end thinking maybe it was because I wasn't using smooth fronts, so I purchased those also no change. Next i started thinking maybe it could be the alignment and that is where I am at now. My question is could not having enough toe-in cause this? Any other suggestions? Quad has never been flipped, mishandled, banged up etc.

P.S. I have been riding in the dunes for 15 years on everything from banshees to Raptors all with no issues that is why I dont understand where this wobble is coming from.
Is the wobble in the front or rear?
Do you have the proper lug nuts for your wheels? Some aftermarket wheels require a tapered nut.
There are many things that could loosen up in the suspension.

2015 700Rse
Fci, PC5F/I, monster exhaust, hotcam3, +3 throttle body, Cuervo tuning, ais delete, +4 stellar swingarm.

02 660r
FMF powerbomb & titanium 4, k&n no lid, vittos jet kit, streamline stabilizer, +6 lonestar axle, yfz shocks, CFM oil tank

08 yfz450se
Sparks big core, k&n no lid, yz needle, yz timing mod
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t web2007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster6565 View Post

Is the wobble in the front or rear?
Do you have the proper lug nuts for your wheels? Some aftermarket wheels require a tapered nut.
There are many things that could loosen up in the suspension.
It's hard to tell, I think it's in the front but it shimmys the whole quad. I have looked and went through my rear end the best I can to include adjusting the chain tension and making sure nothing was loose. I have the correct lug nuts for my rims. I also set the preload ok the front shocks to the lowest setting.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 12:32 AM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

I have three totally different areas to questions. First, is your front track wider then your rear? When installing after market wheels, they are usually wider or offset more then factory wheels. The rear SHOULD be slightly narrower then the front.... Second, have you re-adjusted your clutch? A new clutch requires a few adjustments till it seats in. A loose, slipping clutch can cause the rear tires to shutter.... Third, re-adjust your shocks to proper preload, then adjust your chain, and remove your swing arm skid plate. Sand packing in your chain can cause it to shutter, tight, loose, tight loose, etc... No number for this question, and not personal, how much do you weigh? Over 250lbs may require better shock valving and springs.
Cammy and Andon Jones like this.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 66HP @ OCP. CUERVO +1 HEAD, HDD 5050, 11:1 CP, +5 HR, PC5, DMC FORCE 4, +2 TB, FCI, LONE STAR XC +1, HD TIE RODS, CCP, WORKS, JOKERS +1 STEM, RDZ CHAIN TENSIONER, ASV, +2 1/2 FACTORY SWINGARM, +4 ALBA AXLE, +2 REAR HUBS, DR.D, ODI, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. GYTR: BRAKE LEVER, SHIFT LEVER, NERF BARS, HEAL GUARDS. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, OIL DIPSTICK, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS, FLUIDYNE RADIATOR, GRIPPER SEAT, 3 OHM COIL, PLUG WIRE MOD. 1.6 CAP
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZPERADO View Post
I have three totally different areas to questions. First, is your front track wider then your rear? When installing after market wheels, they are usually wider or offset more then factory wheels. The rear SHOULD be slightly narrower then the front.... Second, have you re-adjusted your clutch? A new clutch requires a few adjustments till it seats in. A loose, slipping clutch can cause the rear tires to shutter.... Third, re-adjust your shocks to proper preload, then adjust your chain, and remove your swing arm skid plate. Sand packing in your chain can cause it to shutter, tight, loose, tight loose, etc... No number for this question, and not personal, how much do you weigh? Over 250lbs may require better shock valving and springs.
1. I believe the front is wider then the rear still. I will check when i get off work.

2. I have not adjusted the clutch at all. The clutch would effect me as i am pinned in 3rd gear and not having it engaged at all?

3. So i should put it back to stock settings in the front? They were set to 1 click above the lowest setting when new. This is the correct setting from factory right?

4. Haha i dont take it personally and i am 245lbs. My only caveat to this questions is why would it not have ever done this with any other quad i have had before including a 2008 raptor 700r? My body weight when i had that quad was 265lbs.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:18 AM
If you don't wreck, you don't ride

I'm guessing clutch as well. If not adjusted properly they will start to slip, especially in low rpm when under a good load. Which would be the case when going up a dune in low rpms.
DEZPERADO and Andon Jones like this.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Never adjusted a clutch before believe it or not haha, i guess i will do all of the above and see if that remedies the issue. Thanks for all the help guys!
SDTRX450R likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 04:07 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Check the clutch lever on your clutch case for about 1/8in free play.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
Andon Jones likes this.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 66HP @ OCP. CUERVO +1 HEAD, HDD 5050, 11:1 CP, +5 HR, PC5, DMC FORCE 4, +2 TB, FCI, LONE STAR XC +1, HD TIE RODS, CCP, WORKS, JOKERS +1 STEM, RDZ CHAIN TENSIONER, ASV, +2 1/2 FACTORY SWINGARM, +4 ALBA AXLE, +2 REAR HUBS, DR.D, ODI, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. GYTR: BRAKE LEVER, SHIFT LEVER, NERF BARS, HEAL GUARDS. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, OIL DIPSTICK, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS, FLUIDYNE RADIATOR, GRIPPER SEAT, 3 OHM COIL, PLUG WIRE MOD. 1.6 CAP
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 05:51 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Does it do the same with stock tires out in the dunes??
Andon Jones likes this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

Dual Biggun Evo R exhaust, Pro Design w/K&N, PC3
CP 11:1 piston, Lucky700r porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
Does it do the same with stock tires out in the dunes??
Haven't ran stock rears in the dunes yet, maybe I'll do that next time if it's not fixed by then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode