Cold weather riding - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cold weather riding

What are some good tips for riding in freezing and below freezing weather?

I can usually keep myself warm up to my face and hands. But once my hands freeze, it's all over and I gotta pack up and go home. I have a full face helmet but it's hard to keep the inside from fogging up. I've been using some anti fog cleaner on my shield but it still tends to fog up.

Any tips from you guys?

2016 Raptor 700r SE
11.1 CP Piston, HC3, Cuervo Racing +3 TB, Gutted out Big Guns EXO, Pro Design Foam Intake, AIS Delete, PCV & Autotune with Cuervo Timing Curve, Front-Maxxis RazrII/ Rear-BKT 207, 15T GYTR Front Sprocket, Trail Tech Vapor With Billet Mount, Powermadd Star Series Hand Guards, ODI Rogue Grips, Custom Grab Bar, Pro Armor Bully Guard, Pro Armor Full Skids, Pro Armor Shock Covers, TM Designworks Poly Case Saver, Auxbeam 12'' LED Light Bar, Rear Shock Rebuild by Jogaca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 08:08 PM

Garage
Rain x anti fog? I use that stuff everywhere car, bathroom mirrors and in my goggles and dont have problems. Then again not a ride out in the temps your in. Do you use those mud guard mitts that fit like bark busters? Only other thing i can thing of is to add those electric handlebar warmers lol..fancy

06 700 se
+2 Alba A arms
+1 Houser ant-vibe stem
Fasst Flexx bars
Precision Pro stabilizer
long travel yfz shocks redone by Jogca
oem rear shock redone by Jogca
GBC XC-Masters
Big Gun Exo duals
FCI intake w/box
PC5 w/ignition
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lol. I have power Madd hand guards. But they don't really help all that much. Guess I just need to invest in a better pair of winter gloves. But yeah the rain x anti fog is what I use. I may just need to wipe it on a few times. I tend to get a ton of air flow up through the bottom of the helmet. So I'm trying to find a way to snuff that out. The helmet itself has 4 vents that I can open and close but they're by no means air tight. So I'm thinking about trying to find something that goes over my helmet. Like a coat or something to block wind more. Like a balaclava. I tried just wearing one under my helmet last year. But I can't get it on without pulling down the balaclava off my face in the process. I may just do in true redneck fashion and duct tape over the helmet vents. Just can't figure out home to keep my neck and chin warmer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

2016 Raptor 700r SE
11.1 CP Piston, HC3, Cuervo Racing +3 TB, Gutted out Big Guns EXO, Pro Design Foam Intake, AIS Delete, PCV & Autotune with Cuervo Timing Curve, Front-Maxxis RazrII/ Rear-BKT 207, 15T GYTR Front Sprocket, Trail Tech Vapor With Billet Mount, Powermadd Star Series Hand Guards, ODI Rogue Grips, Custom Grab Bar, Pro Armor Bully Guard, Pro Armor Full Skids, Pro Armor Shock Covers, TM Designworks Poly Case Saver, Auxbeam 12'' LED Light Bar, Rear Shock Rebuild by Jogaca

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I played in the ice storm we had a few days back, it was right around 20 degrees. But the wind chill was crazy and it was still precipitating. Fun ride but my face was wind burnt and my hands got so cold and wet I was actually afraid of frost bite. And burn and stinged for a good hour after I got back inside my warm house

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

2016 Raptor 700r SE
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 12:55 AM

Stay home and hate winter like me. Or at least will me your bike so when you die of pneumonia I'll have something to remember you by.
xMOWERYx likes this.

I wouldn't wanna be a member of any club that would have me.
06, 11:1, HC3, +3TB, Barkers, PCV w/DL700 timing+autotune, rigid light bar, HIDs in stock housings, 2 AUX floods, FCI w/box, Fastflexx bars, JOGACA shocks, driveline performance clutch with full fiber mod, pro armor nerfs, honda thumb throttle, sixpack rack(holds 12 if still in the box).
'74 wife, w/big 2.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:14 AM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Open your helmet vents to let vapor out.

Use OTG goggles. Over the glasses.

Use a bubble face helmet instead of goggles.

Put a fluffy scarf around your neck.

Get good HD winter riding gloves, wear XL surgeon gloves like a wet suit.

Use gauntlet style handle bar hand warmers, (Morph, what brand do you like?).

Use disposable hand and foot warmers.

Grow a pair, lol.
morphrider, Andon Jones and ian77 like this.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 66HP @ OCP. CUERVO +1 HEAD, HDD 5050, 11:1 CP, +5 HR, PC5, DMC FORCE 4, +2 TB, FCI, LONE STAR XC +1, HD TIE RODS, CCP, WORKS, JOKERS +1 STEM, RDZ CHAIN TENSIONER, ASV, +2 1/2 FACTORY SWINGARM, +4 ALBA AXLE, +2 REAR HUBS, DR.D, ODI, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. GYTR: BRAKE LEVER, SHIFT LEVER, NERF BARS, HEAL GUARDS. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, OIL DIPSTICK, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS, FLUIDYNE RADIATOR, GRIPPER SEAT, 3 OHM COIL, PLUG WIRE MOD. 1.6 CAP
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 05:43 AM

Garage
Yes Dez thanks for saying that better than me, the hand guards you put your hands in they block the wind and rain. I used a pair when i was up riding the Hatfeild McCoy Trails in WV. My hands were happy.
morphrider and DEZPERADO like this.

06 700 se
+2 Alba A arms
+1 Houser ant-vibe stem
Fasst Flexx bars
Precision Pro stabilizer
GBC XC-Masters
Big Gun Exo duals
FCI intake w/box
PC5 w/ignition
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 05:54 AM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Can't think of the brand DEZ, but the ones that look like a sheep on the inside make your hands feel like they are in a sheep. Ya, we travel long stretches of Wyoming to ride and well....

They are worth having on any cold ride.
DEZPERADO and mattzila like this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

Dual Biggun Evo R exhaust, Pro Design w/K&N, PC3
CP 11:1 piston, Lucky700r porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 06:08 AM

Garage
atv logic, powermadd, quad boss just to name a few.

06 700 se
+2 Alba A arms
+1 Houser ant-vibe stem
Fasst Flexx bars
Precision Pro stabilizer
GBC XC-Masters
Big Gun Exo duals
FCI intake w/box
PC5 w/ignition
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:34 AM

Cold weather riding

Get a nose guard like this and you will never have to deal with your shield fogging up again.

I live here in PA and winter is our main riding season. We've been out in every snow storm for the past 3 years

Also, grab a girl and take her for a ride. The extra weight helps with traction and you get extra warmth from her holding on tight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode