07 trans issues - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

07 trans issues

Well guys, new here but figured I'd jump right in, I've got an 07 raptor 700 with the big 3 (barker duals, K&N intake in stock box, power commander 3) it's also got a stage 3 hot cam, HPS mild port and polish, and a CP 11.5:1 piston now, the problem is after it warms up it slips in 3rd, 4th, and 5th and shifts by itself which is a tell tale sign of warn dogs on the gears. My question is I'm thinking of buying an entire trans assembly off eBay, what do you guys think? I've got a list going that's around $577 for just the gears, shift segment, and forks. I'm splitting the case as I type this to find all of the problems inside, trying to save as much as possible here.

07 Raptor 700 stock bore and stroke, CP 11.5:1 piston, PC3, K&N in a modified box, Stage 3 hot cam, HPS port and polish, Barker duals, and more to come
Do it for Dale! #RIP3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 05:26 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
And you have already ruled out clutch slippage?

Welcome to the forum.

[U]2006 raptor 700

Dual Biggun Evo R exhaust, Pro Design w/K&N, PC3
CP 11:1 piston, Lucky700r porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:01 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

If you haven't done the clutch plate mod and HD springs you should. Also, make your clutch adjustment with a warm motor. If the clutch is slipping, the gears may not engage fully after a shift. Thus giving a false indication of worn dogs. I would do a hot clutch adjustment before splitting the cases. Be sure to check for at least 1/8in free play at the lever on the clutch (motor) cover.

A used trans from ebay is hit or miss. The seller says the teeth are perfect, but has no clue what a dog is.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
mattzila and Andon Jones like this.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 66HP @ OCP. CUERVO +1 HEAD, HDD 5050, 11:1 CP, +5 HR, PC5, DMC FORCE 4, +2 TB, FCI, LONE STAR XC +1, HD TIE RODS, CCP, WORKS, JOKERS +1 STEM, RDZ CHAIN TENSIONER, ASV, +2 1/2 FACTORY SWINGARM, +4 ALBA AXLE, +2 REAR HUBS, DR.D, ODI, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. GYTR: BRAKE LEVER, SHIFT LEVER, NERF BARS, HEAL GUARDS. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, OIL DIPSTICK, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS, FLUIDYNE RADIATOR, GRIPPER SEAT, 3 OHM COIL, PLUG WIRE MOD. 1.6 CAP

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
And you have already ruled out clutch slippage?

Welcome to the forum.

Not quite will cover that in my next post

07 Raptor 700 stock bore and stroke, CP 11.5:1 piston, PC3, K&N in a modified box, Stage 3 hot cam, HPS port and polish, Barker duals, and more to come
Do it for Dale! #RIP3
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZPERADO View Post
If you haven't done the clutch plate mod and HD springs you should. Also, make your clutch adjustment with a warm motor. If the clutch is slipping, the gears may not engage fully after a shift. Thus giving a false indication of worn dogs. I would do a hot clutch adjustment before splitting the cases. Be sure to check for at least 1/8in free play at the lever on the clutch (motor) cover.

A used trans from ebay is hit or miss. The seller says the teeth are perfect, but has no clue what a dog is.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

Motor is already out and on the bench but the adjustment seemed okay.
Ended up pulling the clutch apart just to check before going into splitting the case, they look pretty rough to me so maybe that's my problem.

Do it for Dale! #RIP3
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:44 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Ya I would try that route first prior to splitting the cases. If you split the cases then we will want to help you spend more of your money by throwing a stroker crank in for more cc's.....
mattzila likes this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

Dual Biggun Evo R exhaust, Pro Design w/K&N, PC3
CP 11:1 piston, Lucky700r porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Well I talked with the PO last night about the clutch he said it was a 2 year old tusk HD that was probably due for a change but it didn't feel right from the time it was brand new, he recommends splitting it still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it for Dale! #RIP3
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
Ya I would try that route first prior to splitting the cases. If you split the cases then we will want to help you spend more of your money by throwing a stroker crank in for more cc's.....

Don't you tempt me now

morphrider likes this.

Do it for Dale! #RIP3
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Anyone have any suggestions for what clutch kit to go with?

Do it for Dale! #RIP3
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:33 AM

Garage
If you need a trans still I have one that came out of an 08. complete, and in good condition.
If you are in the US, I can do $250 shipped.
Send me a PM if you are interested.
Welcome to the forum!

Andon Jones AKA Jones m4n117

06 Raptor 700r 50th ed
-GYTR exhaust and intake, Pro Design Uni (THANK YOU Santa DEZ! ),YFZ fronts and 700r rear all done the the "King Of The Spring" Jogaca!! ,PC3 ,TUSK nerf bars,GBC XC-Masters rear and fronts,AC racing bumper,6000k Bi-Xenons,trail tech bars,ODI grips,TUSK hand guards, and the best graduation present ever!

If you feel like watching some Raptor vids take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJZ...3HMTWOG6OgX6Fw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode