Raptor Forum banner

Raptor Oil filter and spark plug.

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DEZPERADO 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am about to do my first oil change, spark plug and filter change, I worte a part number down a few months ago of a K&N oil filter part #KN145, where can I purchase this filter, also the plug, and I will start using Amsoil sythetic oil, your input will be highly appreciated.

#2 ·
I've taken mine to official service two days ago. Regarding the oil he said that semi synthetic is for normal occasional hard pulls (normal driving) and fully synthetic for top end (racing). Then he replaced the filter and filled the front oil tank to full. Not a single drop to the engine part. I was like 0.o" But ok. Upon asking why he did it like that he explained that 2016 model has two oil pumps and it goes like this.
One pump in draining from the front tank and send oil directly trough the engine and lubricates everything therefore you have everything lubricated in matter of seconds. Second one drains oil from the engine and sends it through the filter and then to the front tank. That is how he explained or how I remembered it at least. Then he started it up and after a minute checked the oil level and it was on spot.

I've replaced oil and filter after 10 hrs and now on service at 25h. I used mineral oil for the breaking in. It originally came with mineral oil inside.

Following isrecommended by the dealer:

- Yamalube 4S 10W-40 (not for racing)
- Yamalube 4FS 10W-40 (for racing)

Changing the spark plug might be a bit of a overkill in my opinion but wont hurt anyway.

#3 ·
BlackSupra;3285009 Then he replaced the filter and filled the front oil tank to full. Not a single drop to the engine part. I was like 0.o" But ok. Upon asking why he did it like that he explained that 2016 model has two oil pumps and it goes like this. One pump in draining from the front tank and send oil directly trough the engine and lubricates everything therefore you have everything lubricated in matter of seconds. Second one drains oil from the engine and sends it through the filter and then to the front tank. That is how he explained or how I remembered it at least. Then he started it up and after a minute checked the oil level and it was on spot. [/QUOTE said:
His explanition is almost correct. ALL 700's have dual pumps, one pumps the oil from the motor to the tank. Then the other pump, draws from the tank and thru the motor. This is known as a "dry sump" sustem. However, Yamaha says to fill the motor AND oil tank with oil. 1.96 qt, genuinely split between the motor and tank. It doesn't have to be 50/50, but somewhat close works . Your mechanic may say it doesn't matter, but I would ask to add in both next time, per Yamaha.

Reactions: raptordude
#6 ·
I fill the motor and tank with 1qt each of Rotella T oil,(bought by the gallon at Walmart). It doesn't hurt a dry sump to be slightly overfull. And I don't have .04 qt of oil sitting on the shelf. I change both bikes at the same time and the gallon is gone.

Reactions: raptordude
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.