700 Raptor or DS 650? - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 

» Recent Threads
Odd Coolant Issues.
Today 03:01 AM
by N_001
Last post by willykiller
Today 04:56 PM
5 Replies, 51 Views
changing valve guide +...
06-18-2014 11:17 PM
Last post by willykiller
Today 04:44 PM
81 Replies, 2,458 Views
quick question on carb...
Yesterday 06:14 PM
Last post by Mad Dog
Today 04:39 PM
16 Replies, 115 Views
Ground connections
Today 03:58 PM
by 2k2ss
Last post by 2k2ss
Today 03:58 PM
0 Replies, 12 Views
700 won't start
10-25-2014 09:29 PM
Last post by 2k2ss
Today 03:55 PM
4 Replies, 83 Views
New exhaust
Yesterday 06:26 PM
Last post by jeffs03Raptor
Today 03:40 PM
5 Replies, 87 Views
Raptor of the Month...
10-21-2014 10:49 AM
Last post by DustyRappy
Today 02:19 PM
8 Replies, 296 Views
Riding boots
01-08-2014 01:20 PM
Last post by PSMSandRap
Today 02:06 PM
23 Replies, 936 Views
Raptor 700 or z400 AGAIN!
Today 01:01 PM
Last post by TXOUTLAW
Today 02:04 PM
5 Replies, 51 Views
My 10 year old , 70 lb...
Yesterday 01:52 PM
by rwjjr
Last post by rwjjr
Today 12:45 PM
2 Replies, 61 Views
» Sponsors
Go Back   Yamaha Raptor Forum > Raptor 700 Categories > Raptor 700 Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9
Default 700 Raptor or DS 650?

I'm giving up the ute in search for something fast and to help me keep up with my 2 buddies that have 730 V-Forces. I pretty much know everyone is gonna tell me to go with the raptor, i know its a raptor forum. I just want to know why and PLEASE be unbias. I'm posting this same thread in a bombardier forum so i can learn a lil from each side. I am stuck between the 2 so help me out.

It will be strictly a woods machine that will see its fair share of drags. I'm 6ft 1" 225lbs

Thanks
jsilver919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9
Default Follow up to my original

strengths and weaknesses of both that sorta thing...

thanks again guys
jsilver919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
patton700r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,520
Default

i just bought a can am 450 u should look in to one of those....
__________________
i have a drag racing raptor812 that weights 360 now and have more weight to lose.
patton700r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dirty Lil Bastard

 
hpdrifter777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 602
Default

My best friend has a DS and the comfort and ergo is unmatched but it's not near as sporty as a raptor. If you think a raptor is heavy a DS 650 is a monster. But it's very comfy
__________________
(Drifter)2008 700 Barker Duals/Monster Intake/PC V/CP11:1 102MM/HC Stage 2/Dynatek Ignition/DRD Reverse Lever/JVR Key Relocator/Tusk Wave Rotor/EBC Severe Duty Brakes/ITP .190 Beadlocks with Razr in the rear/Tusk Nerf Bars/ProTaper SE Bars/Oury Grips/ProDesign Kill Switch/Tusk Case Saver/Tusk Block Off/Renthal 15-38/DID Chain
hpdrifter777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9
Default ehh

i was reading about them tonight and they just didnt do it for me. i pretty much had my mind made up the other day on the raptor but a buddy told me to check out the DS 650 cause they are bulletproof and their engines are SICK! now, 2 days later i cant decide between the 2.

like i said i have been on ute's forever so i dont know a lot of guys that still ride sports so i dont know anyone with either of the 2.... i get home from afghanistan in april and want to be riding SOON after i get home. my wife is even working on getting my 4x4 sold no so SOMEONE help me out here
jsilver919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrifter777 View Post
My best friend has a DS and the comfort and ergo is unmatched but it's not near as sporty as a raptor. If you think a raptor is heavy a DS 650 is a monster. But it's very comfy


with the normal mods which do you think would make the best trail "king" and something that will hold its own in a drag... i tend to run my mouth a lil so i want something to be able to back it up!
jsilver919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Mad Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 16,721
Default

DS is a strong, reliable motor in a pretty tough package. They are reliable and wear well.

The knock on the DS was for a long time, and still is to a lesser degree after the changes were carried over from the "X" line, that it's too big for tight trail riding. The size, the weight, the physical dimensions, etc. These same attributes are what makes it such a joy to ride in the sand and wide open spaces.

Now I wouldn't knock someone for getting the DS, but a lot has changed in the atv world since they came out. The shaky handling of the 660 was replaced by the 700, and with the newer shocks it's right back up there even if the travel is a bit shorter. The 700's engine seems to be able to handle the ridiculous power outputs the DS guys have been getting in the past, not that it's all that relevant to a trail rider. The DS is a hard sell up against the 700, it fares much better against the 660 which was designed and released around the same time and ended almost the same time. If you are interested in one the later X models are the best, I think they had them from 03-06 but I'm not sure on that. It should also be noted that Can-am (bombardier) discontinued the DS650 back in 2006, the year the 700 first came out.

In short, I suggest you take a look at a DS but ultimately I think you'll be happier with and prefer the 700.


Oh and whatever you do don't go to www.can-am.com .... that's not the can-am website..... it's www.can-am.brp.com
__________________
Mike

Mad Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
yellowfever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 556
Default

lol.... of course I couldn't resist but clicking on the www.can-am.com link... thanks alot
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
DS is a strong, reliable motor in a pretty tough package. They are reliable and wear well.

The knock on the DS was for a long time, and still is to a lesser degree after the changes were carried over from the "X" line, that it's too big for tight trail riding. The size, the weight, the physical dimensions, etc. These same attributes are what makes it such a joy to ride in the sand and wide open spaces.

Now I wouldn't knock someone for getting the DS, but a lot has changed in the atv world since they came out. The shaky handling of the 660 was replaced by the 700, and with the newer shocks it's right back up there even if the travel is a bit shorter. The 700's engine seems to be able to handle the ridiculous power outputs the DS guys have been getting in the past, not that it's all that relevant to a trail rider. The DS is a hard sell up against the 700, it fares much better against the 660 which was designed and released around the same time and ended almost the same time. If you are interested in one the later X models are the best, I think they had them from 03-06 but I'm not sure on that. It should also be noted that Can-am (bombardier) discontinued the DS650 back in 2006, the year the 700 first came out.

In short, I suggest you take a look at a DS but ultimately I think you'll be happier with and prefer the 700.


Oh and whatever you do don't go to www.can-am.com .... that's not the can-am website..... it's www.can-am.brp.com




yeah it was 03/04-06. i know 06 was the last yr they made them which puts me on an already 4 yr old bike where i could get very well mod'd raptor on ebay for 4k. there is 1 on there rite now actually, that if i were not in afghanistan i would be making a trip to arizona to pick up!

are there any issues to note with the 700's?
jsilver919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Raptoracer24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilver919 View Post
yeah it was 03/04-06. i know 06 was the last yr they made them which puts me on an already 4 yr old bike where i could get very well mod'd raptor on ebay for 4k. there is 1 on there rite now actually, that if i were not in afghanistan i would be making a trip to arizona to pick up!

are there any issues to note with the 700's?
No, not with the 700's. I think the only problem a Raptor has ever had is the trannies in the 01's. They are very well built machines. The DS is nice, but I think for trails, you'd want the more agile 700.
__________________
08 700
Barker Duals
PC5
Pro Design
Full skids
Holeshots
Black plastics
Raptoracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
RaptorForum.com is an independent Yamaha enthusiast website. Content on RaptorForum.com is generated by its users and RaptorForum.com is not in any way affiliated with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.
Inactive Reminders By Mished.co.uk and FTP-Anime.com