ATV safety card when riding anywhere in Oregon - Yamaha Raptor Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
joewitafro's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: vancouver, wa
Posts: 544
Send a message via AIM to joewitafro Send a message via MSN to joewitafro
ATV safety card when riding anywhere in Oregon

I was asked to post this information for everyone to see (a more populated area) so that anyone riding in Oregon can take care of their business and try to save themselves a ticket. I don't know if they are enforcing it yet, but I'd rather not try and find out.

i've just been thinking about the May Raptor Rally in windy bay and opened my wallet to see my ATV safety card sitting there and realized almost everyone (except the oldies) have to have it this year. Just wanting to make sure you guys are prepared and to save you some cash so we don't get in trouble and targeted as a large group without a clue!

The website is

Please take this seriously! This year (2010) everyone 30 and under is required to have this on them at ALL times while riding, and this includes children!
According to the oregon parks and recreation website, A person who operates an off road vehicle in a designated off road area or trail without a permit and decal is subject to a Class C traffic violation, which imposes a maximum fine of $180! If you have a card and your child doesn't (under 16 i believe?) you can receive a child negligence fine.

If you ride a dirt bike, quad, or UTV you are required to have it, but online ATV safety education is not required for operating a dune buggy, sand rail, jeep, 4x4 truck, or Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) off-road in Oregon. However, the operator must hold a valid driver license.

This is the most important part... This test took me about an hour or so to do, its VERY lengthy... but! you can challenge the test.

In order to challenge the course, you need to be at least 16 years of age with five or more years of riding experience. During initial account setup, you will be given an opportunity to complete and submit a “challenge the course” form. If you meet all minimum requirements and agree to the testing conditions, you will be given one opportunity to bypass the study materials and take an “equivalency exam.” If you pass the exam with a minimum score of 80% correct, you will be issued an ATV Safety Education Card. If you fail the exam, you will be sent back to the standard online course including reviewing the study materials, taking chapter quizzes, and passing the final exam.

for more questions please refer back to the main website, it takes about 30 days to receive a temp card so I advise you to all do this ASAP! People from washington and cali will be required to do it aswell, unless your state offers an online safety education card themselves.

this online test is required for anyone riding in oregon. you can look up more about the laws here.

Found the law for out of country, and out of state riders.

Q: I’m from another state or country and wish to ride an ATV or motorcycle in Oregon. Do I need to take the online ATV safety education course and carry an Oregon ATV Safety Education Card?
A: Yes, all non-residents riding in Oregon are required to take the online ATV Safety Course and carry an ATV Safety Education Card. They are exempt if they possess a card issued by another state or country.

And about your children..

beginning January 1, 2012, youth under 16 operating a Class I or III ATV (quads and motorcycles) will be required to attend a hands-on training course before riding on Oregon’s public lands

Btw guys, i figured out how to do the "challenge the course". Instead of reading all of the chapters and what not you can challenge the course and just take the 50 question test, and you must get an 80 percent or more to pass. If you fail you have to take it the normal way.

First, you cannot have an account already. If you do, call them up and have them delete it.

Second, click on the "more info" button under "challenge the course"

Third, click the "Start" button on that new page that opened telling you about challenge the course, this will make you start a new single user account and will give you the option of challenging the course once you log in after activation.
You cannot challenge the course if you have a family or group account.

Thats all, ride safe guys! You can print out a temp (good for 30 days) card until your permenant comes in the mail, its FREE to do, and is kinda fun in my opinion.

2007 raptor 700r
English Racing Turbo kit w/ PC3
+6 SLC ladder bar swingarm
Tuned By English Racing 83rwhp @ 12psi
joewitafro is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 75
Was bored today, so i took the test. I'm in Afghanistan....LOL I'll be expecting my ATV safety card in about 30 days
Legion 700 is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Lifetime VIP

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Washington
Posts: 120
This card is another stupid Oregon idea, I challenged the test and passed it last night. I fail to see how this will help reduce accidents in the dunes or anywhere else.
Tealer is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
joewitafro's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: vancouver, wa
Posts: 544
Send a message via AIM to joewitafro Send a message via MSN to joewitafro
Its for incompetent children and adults who cannot take care of their own, or others children they are trying to be responsible for.

I honestly do not care if ANY one has a problem with oregon law, if you do.. keep it out of my thread, other forums have brought too much clutter to my thread trying to help those who ride in Oregon. Lets keep it plain and simple people. I'm just trying to help all of you.

2007 raptor 700r
English Racing Turbo kit w/ PC3
+6 SLC ladder bar swingarm
Tuned By English Racing 83rwhp @ 12psi
joewitafro is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 PM
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master

700yellowraptor's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 4,326

06 700 Raptor S.E. 08 700 Griz S.E. 95 350 Wolverine
Invision (Joker) graphics, JVR key relocator,MSR bars 1.25 riser, StreamLine +2 clutch & front brake lines, DR.D lever, PowerMadd handgaurds & wraps, ModQuad flame grill, CCP stabilizer, BlingStar bumper, Shock&Seat covers, ProArmor nerfs, Galfer rotors, EBC pads, GNCC's on Baja's, Armadillo skids, I Shock I5500LT, DuraBlue lowering kit, +4 DuraBlue Eliminator Axle , ProDesign intake & prefilter with K&N, ProTec airbox lid, Dobeck, Monster duals, Evac, UPP case saver

700yellowraptor is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
wobble's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 3,302
Thanks for taking the time to post this info Joe. I'm sure it be very useful to many.
wobble is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Tri Lock's Avatar
Join Date: May 2010
Location: walla walla WA
Posts: 71
got mine when they 1st started it and btw for those who dont have it,,lke typical oregon they are probably gonna start charging for it soon so get on it.... my thing only says walla walla wa cuz no one knows where milton-freewater Or

Tri Lock is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator NW Raptor Rally Coordinator
ORdunner's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,379
This information has been great, looks like most people have it now so I have unstuck this post. Thank You

2006 Blue Raptor>br />843
ORdunner is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by Legion 700 View Post
Was bored today, so i took the test. I'm in Afghanistan....LOL I'll be expecting my ATV safety card in about 30 days
This made me laugh.

2011 700r SE
GYTR Skids and Nerfs
Sticky warning label residue

2005 350 Red/White
Yoshi Exhaust & Header
Hotcam 2
Oil Leak
Custom-smashed plastic bumper
Poorly adjusted valves
Won't start
Registration past due
AndrewD is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
Spider-Lōc's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Live in Cincinnati Ohio but often found in north central Florida a lot during winter.
Posts: 11,616
If I live out of state and cone to the Or dunes do I need one? Can outta staters take the test? Or do we have to wait until we're in Oregon? Just a brain fart,I been wanting to ride there forever.

07-700(686) based 778cc Cuervo Racing, +2 extreme port Cuervo head port and a Cuervo/HDD5050 cam, 14:1CP piston,105.5 bore, +5 stroke, WK54mm TB, Denso injector, dynatek programable ignition, old pc5, DMC Force 4 pipes. Tuned by Eric at EHS Racing, 87 HP 64 FT.LBS TQ. To me it's the ultimate trail quad if you love the edge of control and dodging trees at 75-80mph!!!
Spider-Lōc is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome