Raptor Forum banner

New 2014 Raptor XC build suspension

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  KB Motorsports 
#1 ·
Ill start by saying im new to these forums and to the raptor. Prior I owned a Drz400 that i purchased new in 2012 and rode a little offroad.

So a month or so ago i purchased a new raptor 700 in the orange/white. I purchased it mostly to trail ride in the OH,IN,TN,WV areas with my wife on her sportsman 570. Well since then a buddy of mine has convinced me to ride in the local XC series with him and im considering doing it. Im sure the raptor isnt the best choice for this but its what i have and it sounds fun. Im either going to hit the last few races of the year or just wait and start the series next spring. Not really looking to win or anything just get out and ride and have fun.

So in the last few weeks ive purchased a few mods ive read posts on or have found online. Ill list them all below. Ive already purchased them all. Some of them are still in the mail and I should have on and get to test by the weekend. Most were chosen due to price or preference. Not really looking to get huge increases just tweak the stock raptor. Anyway on to my actual question. Besides tires I think the only thing im missing to have a more enjoyable time and improve the ride is suspension. I have absolutely no idea what im looking for in suspension or what I actually need to be better ive just read that i most likely want to upgrade it. I wanted the orange/white color raptor more than the 700r shocks so when i bought it thats what i sacrificed. so i currently have the stock 700 shocks.

So im looking for suggestions for a cheap but still decent upgrade. Ive looked at the fox offerings and I just cant justify them for my type of ridding. The price is pretty steep. im sure they are worth it but just to high for me for right now. ive read that i can put yfz450 shocks onto the raptor is that what i should be looking at? I dont think i need anything top of the line for mostly trail ridding and maybe some xc races. But im open to suggestions. Also anything else you guys think i may have missed that i should pick up? Ive already found that with the odi rogue grips my throttle is to short so i ordered a longer one from modquad last night. Thanks in advance for the input!

K&N air filter
Wiseco Fuel controller
renthal 15 tooth front sprocket
HMF competition series exhaust
pro armour full skid
pro armour swing arm skid
Proarmour front bumper
Protaper se atv high bends
ROX 1 1/4" risers
ROX dash
CCP Stabilizer
Powermadd handguards
ODI Rogue Lock grips

See less See more
#2 ·
hello and welcome to the forum.

Racing is a big endeavor and gets pretty expensive, it can be super fun though also.

XC arms only widen the raptor by about half an inch. This is great to do if you need new arms, and for the strength that they offer. If your on a budget i'd just keep the arms you have now and get better shocks. Good shocks are worth their price. I run Elka stage 4, but a set of Elka Stage 3 kit is just $1,500 for the front and rear. You'd be surprised on how much the rear helps.

Jocoga is a great guy and will be able to take care of you for sure. Give him a try or try the Elka Stage 3.

For arms you are looking at Alba, JD Performance, or Houser... in that price order for the main brands.

Make sure to keep an eye on the CCP stabilizer as they do tend to blow out, and the guy is very hard to deal with when you need help. I run the Pro Motto Billet stabilizer and we are also a Precision dealer. these are the top brands and will last a long time and take abuse of racing.

We also have Precision antivibe clamps in stock. I know you have the rox already, but the antivibe would be a nice ad later on to help with fatigue in a race and help you from getting as sore.

#3 ·
Welcome to the Forum!!!

First off, I'd recommend you message the forum member Jogaca (kevin), he's the local shock Guru and can get you all set up for much cheaper than a set of Fox's. I'll PM you his phone number.

Second, I'll give you my opinion.... I love my yfz450X shocks! I highly recommend them to everyone. They are very tuneable, and ride great. I'm not sure if they fit on a new 700 or if they can be modded to fit... I know for the older 700s an internal spacer needed to be added, but Jogaca will know whats best. I got my 450Xs on craigslist for 125 plus shipping... recently I saw a set on there for 180, it just takes some searching. Just have them shipped to Jogaca and he'll rebuild them and revalve them for your riding needs for cheaper than anyone else I've seen.

There are lots of other mid to high end shocks out there, Works, Elka, Motowoz, Fox, Ohlins... it all depends on what you want to spend! I'm a big fan of buying used and having them rebuilt, they will ride like new for half the price.

#4 ·
Jogaca can also powder coat them to whatever color you choose as well. I run the 450 shocks I got from him as well. Great for what you are looking to do. Welcome to the forum, post some pics of your toy.

#6 ·
As much as I did not like the way they changed the looks when they first came out, it has definitely grown on me. Good looking bike. Denver Bronco colors..... Go Broncos

#7 ·
When i went to the dealer to look for my wife a quad I wasnt even looking for myself one at the time. But they had the YFZ450 sitting in there in these colors and i loved it. The sales guy told me they made the raptor in the same and i ordered it that day.

#8 ·
I went through my 700 early this spring to set it up for local hare scramble races and after racing a few this year the biggest improvement I noticed was from adding the steering stabilizer and widening the quad 4 inches front and rear. The stabilizer got rid of all the feedback in the front tires which saved my arm fatigue a ton and now that it's 4" wider the thing is on rails through the tight woods. I actually have to hang on tighter with my legs now because if i turn the bars quick enough it tries to throw me off the side of it. This has taken some time to get used to as well as it being that much wider. I'm still not 100% used to judging the width of the front tires versus tree width. Last race i slammed a tree square with my right front tire and twisted the steering stem. I didn't think it was that hard of a hit but verified yesterday that the stem is twisted. Guess now i know 1 more project for this coming winter and already plan on sending my shocks to Jogaca to be set up for me and my style riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.