Raptor Forum banner

Maybe a Muffler swap?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  xMOWERYx 
#1 ·
I was tossing around the idea of maybe swapping the big guns out for a monster exhaust or empire. I've heard that some of the dyno sheets are claiming empire has better gains, but I've not heard as many good reviews as I have with monster.

That being said. How different are the headers between a monster system and my Big guns header? Each company likes to spit out a bunch of numbers but down to brass tax, if I bought the whole Monster system, would the figures be all that different If I just fixed a Monster muffler to my big guns header?

I've already tigged a stainless 02 port on my current header for autotune, and don't feel like doing that again.

Only reason why I'm considering a swap is because I bought my big guns thinking they would still be somewhat quiet. There wasn't enough info on the EXOs stats yet and I got impatient waiting so I pulled the trigger. But every time I talk to a big time builder, they say they are quite a lot more restrictive than they're advertised.

But I figure if it's gonna be loud, I might as well get the power out of it. Would even changing it out be enough of a gain to be worth it?

See less See more
#4 ·
That's what I was thinking as well. There are die hard fan boys of monster, barker, and other big brands and completely trash talk any system besides there's. And I'm sitting here thinking about it. But I mean even 2 extra horsepower is pretty much unnoticeable until you see the dyno sheet.

But I guess most of the time, those same guys think dropping a tooth on the front sprocket magically creates power :D

#8 ·
I'm was talking about power at the crank that the engine actually produces. But regardless, it was just a silly joke.

Yeah, I knew you were poking fun, but losing rear wheel HP isn't fun. After the 66HP, I was trying to get some lost bottom end. What a surprise! But you're right, changing the front sprocket added 7.2HP at the output shaft, haha. THANKS for the tip, lol.

#5 ·
Unless you are looking at big bore pipes, you won't get or feel much difference in power between the other four major brands.

And yes, changing sprockets can change the power band. My first dyno pull was 66HP. I added 2 teeth on the rear and lost about 3HP.

My next head (build) will have the boss between the exhaust ports drilled and tapped for a O2 sensor. No more welding a boss in the pipes.

Reactions: raptordude
#7 ·
And yes, changing sprockets can change the power band. My first dyno pull was 66HP. I added 2 teeth on the rear and lost about 3HP.
I'm was talking about power at the crank that the engine actually produces. But regardless, it was just a silly joke.

#6 ·
Mow! We both know my BARKERS are the best!!! I mean yeah, yours sounded better and technically your setup makes more torque, but facts aside....
Honestly I'd keep your exhaust and put that $ towards head work. Get ahold of that guy you got your topend from, Daniel Lopez, or Pepe Cuervo?
Whatever his name is, pick his brain before you spend.
P.S. I pulled my quiet cores so next time maybe we'll be able to hear my bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
Switching to monster would be my vote. I guess you could call me a fanboy, sure.
Now if you already had a Dasa or barker or empire setup, it wouldn't be worth the cost to switch. That's based on the many tests I've seen and a few I participated in on the 15+ bike. If you aren't after a ceramic coated setup, monster is actually like $600 for a plain one. You could easily recoup over half that selling the duals you have. You do have the big gun duals right?

That's my vote.

#10 ·
Nope. It's a 2016. So just single big bore big guns exo. Even if there is a gain of 2 hp. I just can't justify it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Remember my dilemma, I lost 3HP by changing sprockets. You could gain 3HP by changing sprockets. I just don't know what way to go, up or down.

#12 ·
I believe I found the answer. Check out the thread on my big gun insert

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.