Raptor Forum banner

Ticking Noise New Top End

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DEZPERADO 
#1 ·
Just got my new piston and cam installed and all back together, however when I start the engine with the throttle up around 4500 rpms to keep oil pressure to the new piston and rings, there is a fairly strong clicking/ticking noise!!

This led me to believe the timing chain was off but when rolling the quad in gear at the top of the piston stroke the timing chain gear mark is aligned directly with the head mark, which should be correct???

It's as the piston goes down that I hear a small tick, it sounds very minor when just rolling by hand

I didn't take apart the valves or rocker shafts or anything so all of that should be in spec, correct???

What else can it be? First timer here, please help if you can...

#2 · (Edited)
The first thing I would check would be your valve spacing. Once it was put together you probably should have checked them since you was right there. But hey, I put together a 350 chevy and forgot to set mine so I cant judge lol. Here is a link to a manual that will help.

http://www.************.com/library/Raptor 700 Service Manual LIT-11616-19-13.pdf

Also when you was installing the piston did you check for any play on the connecting rod? Are you sure you put both of the c-clips on the sides of the piston?

#3 ·
The bike is new enough, so I wouldn't worry about play in the connecting rod. But like he said I'd make sure and adjust the valves. What cam did you end up going with? The valve train on these things tend to sound like a sewing machine once a bigger cam is installed.

#4 ·
Readjust your intake and exhaust valves on the tighter side of the tolerance. If it says 0.09-0.13 mm, you want closer to 0.09 mm. This will give more lift and duration on the cam, and be quieter. If you find it harder to start, loosen the intake slightly.

#6 ·
I like these easy fixes.

Reactions: mattzila and Cammy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.