Today 11:20 AM
12 Replies, 147 Views
went to silver lake this...
Today 09:38 AM
Last post by Langford
Today 10:55 AM
1 Replies, 33 Views
» Sponsors
Go Back   Yamaha Raptor Forum > Raptor 700 Categories > Raptor 700 Modifications

LinkBack LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
VIP

Default What is the weak link?

Once you start adding real HP what becomes the weak link?

Mine should dyno around 60 hp. Is that enough to be at all concerned about breaking something? If something would break what would it likely be?

Thanks.

2008 700R

7 MOD = Barker Duals~ProDesign w/billet & Foam~MSD Blaster~Head Ported Lucky Style~Hotcam Stage 3~CP Tech Piston 11.5:1~Cuervo +3 TB

Other Goodies = DriveLine Perf Clutch~Precision Stabilizer~15T F Sprocket~PRM Grab Bar~Blingstar Bumper~Full Skid Protection~Tusk Nerfs~Alba Heal Guards~Powermadd Hand Guards~RK Race Chain~Custom Dual Arm Shifter~TT Vapor.
First700R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
GARAGE CULTURE

The oil drain plug thread imo is the weakest link on the Raptor. Seriously!

But 60 hp is safe. Stock bore stock stroke is safe.

After that, I think past 70hp, the connecting rod is not so strong.

And also past 70 hp the clutch does not hold up that well. A good clutch mod is to replace the half fiber with a full one. I think at around 80hp the guys start looking at direct drive lock out clutches.

Going big bore, you will need aftermarket head studs. And possibly the o-ring mod on the jug.

Going to 90 hp you will risk cracking engine cases. Also the guys weld and true the crankshaft for that kind of power.

For seriously high end camshafts, with much stiffer springs, the engine builders bush the rockers and perform certain mods with regards to oil flow to ensure oil gets eveywhere in the head like it is supposed to.

Also for high powered motors, the wristping for the piston gets a DLC coating.

Like you have also been advised, altering ignition timing aggressively for more power in the over rev can lead to damage.

Cannot think of much more off the top of my head. Sure others will chime in.
Powercommander 5 with DL700 Timing Curves, FCI with Box, HD5050, +5 Hotrods, Ported Head +2 +1 by Freez, CP 11:1, +3 Throttle Body, DMC Force 4, Lonestar Swingarm, Houser MGC LT +2.25, Custom Axis LT Triple Spring Triple Adjust with Plush Ride Upgrade Front, Custom Axis Double Spring Triple Adjust with Plush Ride Upgrade Rear, Hipertech 3, Kenda Bearclaw, Fasst Flexx, Precision Pro Steering Damper. Coming Soon: Lonestar Axle.
Pacific Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Barbarian View Post
The oil drain plug thread imo is the weakest link on the Raptor. Seriously!

But 60 hp is safe. Stock bore stock stroke is safe.

After that, I think past 70hp, the connecting rod is not so strong.

And also past 70 hp the clutch does not hold up that well. A good clutch mod is to replace the half fiber with a full one. I think at around 80hp the guys start looking at direct drive lock out clutches.

Going big bore, you will need aftermarket head studs. And possibly the o-ring mod on the jug.

Going to 90 hp you will risk cracking engine cases. Also the guys weld and true the crankshaft for that kind of power.

For seriously high end camshafts, with much stiffer springs, the engine builders bush the rockers and perform certain mods with regards to oil flow to ensure oil gets eveywhere in the head like it is supposed to.

Also for high powered motors, the wristping for the piston gets a DLC coating.

Like you have also been advised, altering ignition timing aggressively for more power in the over rev can lead to damage.

Cannot think of much more off the top of my head. Sure others will chime in.
LOL - I was expecting something like..... The chain.
You never cease to impress me PB!!
Thank you for all the info. You definately rocked this out! lol.

2008 700R

7 MOD = Barker Duals~ProDesign w/billet & Foam~MSD Blaster~Head Ported Lucky Style~Hotcam Stage 3~CP Tech Piston 11.5:1~Cuervo +3 TB

Other Goodies = DriveLine Perf Clutch~Precision Stabilizer~15T F Sprocket~PRM Grab Bar~Blingstar Bumper~Full Skid Protection~Tusk Nerfs~Alba Heal Guards~Powermadd Hand Guards~RK Race Chain~Custom Dual Arm Shifter~TT Vapor.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
VIP

Oh and I did swap out my clutch. I think I forgot to tell you I was doing that. I put in a Driveline Performance clutch. It uses the full fiber 8th plate and the non-dimpled steel plates. It is good for more than twice the HP I will have.
It def won't be MY weakest link.
Lucky700r recommended it to me.

2008 700R

Old 02-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

great info thank you you think driveline is the best bang for the buck vs barnett and all the others. just want to know im at 60 hp and im thinking im going to need a clutch soon .
housedsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by housedsm View Post
great info thank you you think driveline is the best bang for the buck vs barnett and all the others. just want to know im at 60 hp and im thinking im going to need a clutch soon .
I honestly don't know which one is best or better than another one. I was just in a situation where I entered into a clutch conversation with Lucky and he said I should get one. He highly recommended the one I got as he uses it in his stuff. If you don't know Lucky... I won't give away all his details but suffice to say he is a high profile engine builder and races bikes for big money so if he tells you "this is what you want" you don't really ask questions. You just buy it.

As far as you needing a clutch. I can say with these bikes most of the time you don't know you needed one until you replace it and realize how much better it is. If you have been running 60HP from everything I have read I would say you probably need one. If you can't easily stand it right up in 3rd gear with only power then you need a clutch.

2008 700R

Old 02-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

great info thank you very much I think i know lucky007 he is cool
housedsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by housedsm View Post
great info thank you very much I think i know lucky007 he is cool
No prob.
There may be a lucky007 here I'm not sure.
I was talking about lucky700r.

2008 700R

Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
GARAGE CULTURE

You mentioned the drive chain. There has been several cases of it snapping. Cheapest insurance is a UPP polyurethane case saver. Moose Racing sells the UPP case saver on ebay for a gooDrivd price. Its a really snug fit.

Together with a good quality drive chain, you have cheap insurance against cracked cases. I like Primary Drive. I have about 25 brutal hours on mine. Only adjusted it once after the initial stretch. Holding up well now.
Powercommander 5 with DL700 Timing Curves, FCI with Box, HD5050, +5 Hotrods, Ported Head +2 +1 by Freez, CP 11:1, +3 Throttle Body, DMC Force 4, Lonestar Swingarm, Houser MGC LT +2.25, Custom Axis LT Triple Spring Triple Adjust with Plush Ride Upgrade Front, Custom Axis Double Spring Triple Adjust with Plush Ride Upgrade Rear, Hipertech 3, Kenda Bearclaw, Fasst Flexx, Precision Pro Steering Damper. Coming Soon: Lonestar Axle.
Pacific Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

At this point, in the mid-70's and drag racing... I'm pretty scared about messing up my transmission. But yes, I agree with Pacific, the oil drain plug does suck

At 60hp, you'll be fine for awhile.
rappy'97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement