Raptor Forum banner

Oil inlet hose to crankcase leak

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  DEZPERADO 
#1 ·
Hello all.

Recently pulled my engine appart. Once put back together with fresh oil, I now have a very fast leak where the oil inlet hose meets the bottom of the crankcase. It's held on by an 8mm hex head bolt. The bolt is a different length then the other bolts that hold the crankcase on.

When putting the crankcase back together I had to get a new gasket and thought to myself that it's crazy that the oil inlet hose doesn't need a gasket.

I've looked online at diagrams and don't see any gaskets or o-rings in any pictures for my problem area.

Maybe it's called something different, I'm a straight up noon so please be kind. I'm very ignorant when it comes to engines.

Thanks guys, can't wait to get this thing together! Been down all summer.

-dave-

#4 ·
I've been wrong before (once I can remember) but I think there is a 'O' ring on it. Pull it and look for a recessed groove. If none, then make a gasket for it. Also, make sure it's not the hose leaking.

#6 ·
I wouldn't. RTV is basically a silicone sealer. Not all are compatible with oil and may bloat. Also, any type of caulk type sealer can easily have a small amount plug the oil line. A small sheet of gasket material would be best. As said, check for a 'O' ring or make a gasket. Just trace the shape you need and cut with scissors, and punch the holes.

#7 ·
Fair enough. Thank you for taking the time to write that up. Just got back from auto store with sheet of gasket material, ordered an xacto knife. I'll report back once it's done. Kinda bummed that I wasted fresh oil but it's cheap rotilla, so that's good.

#8 ·
Ok. Finally got to it. After pulling the hose off I found a groove for an o-ring. Went to auto store, grabbed one and now no leak. Thanks for nailing the problem!!

I was afraid that I would loose all my fresh oil but no oil poured out when pulling the hose off, it just dripped out until raising it up.

#9 ·
Thanks for the update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.