Raptor Forum banner

What to listen for with wore out wheel bearing

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  xMOWERYx 
#1 ·
Rode the raptor up and down the street to warm it up to check out today. Realized two things. 1. My neighbourhood must absolutely hate me. Today was the first time I rode without a helmet (not making a habit of it). The exhaust when stabbed is deafening lol. And 2. I'm hearing like a sort of roaring ball bearing noise.

It's not a squeak or anything. Just sounds like massive ball bearings rolling. And I seem to hear it more on the left side. When I slow down, noise quiets down. When going faster it gets louder. I don't think I'm mistaking the sound of the cam and valves with it. I wouldn't think I'd be able to hear those at 50 mph. Gonna jack it up tomorrow and see if there's wheel bearing play in the front end.

But would that sound mean something with wheel bearing? If never noticed it before. But I always where a helmet that blocks a lot of sound. I'm pushing 200 hours on the chassis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#2 ·
You think it's a chassis sound and not motor. If needed, remember the hose trick.

And, yep, your neighbors hate you, lol.

#3 ·
Yeah. I'm gonna test it tomorrow. Just can't really do the hose trick at 50 mph [emoji23] but I'm gonna do a more thorough investigation with it parked

#5 ·
Stand the quad up or jack it up, grab the wheel and try to push it to the fourwheeler and try to pull it away. If theres play there, something's shot. Unless it's a factory defect, it's not worn out. My 09 has 4500 miles on original bearings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Tires off the ground. Spin each both ways. Grasp each tire at the top, then the sides, and move back and forth. Any noise except the brakes dragging is a bearing. Any movement is a bearing. Don't get mixed up with suspension movement, that's prolly worn too.

Spin and check for movement on the rear axle. Take the chain off if necessary. And, as said, take the lower chain roller off and leave it off. Then get a poly, UPP style case saver.

Chick the pivot bearings also.

#7 ·
I checked it today. No sign of noise from bearing and no slop. So I'm guessing the valves just need to be at a tighter tolerance. I usually adjust them loose so I don't have to do it as often, but I'm just going to put it at the tighter end of what HC3 recommends, whenever I find the slip of paper that says what it's supposed to be at lol

#8 ·
I've also had issues with the plastic vibrating and causing noise before so when I take the plastics off, I'll check all that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.