01 scrambler 500 4x4 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
01 scrambler 500 4x4

Hello everyone. I recently purchased this quad and im having a few problems with it. First off it is a pull start. Sometimes it will start right up but most of the time it is taking at least 20 tries. I have so many blisters on both hands its not funny. Anyways my buddy suggested looking at the spark plug. So today I will probably replace plug and wire. Also it has overheated on me 2x now. After the first time I saw there was no coolant in the reservoir. So I put some in and rode it around some. The coolant was not in the resevoir anymore. So I filled it back it back up. Let the kids ride it again yesterday and it overheated again and no coolant in the resevoir. I do not see a leak. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This is what I found so far.... Took it all apart and pulled the plug. Cable looks good like the place I bought it from replaced it. Plug looked new but had some black on it. Not terrible but it was there. I wire brushed it clean to where it looks new again and put it back. I opened the radiator and couldnt see anything in it. I added coolant which it actually didnt take much to full. Then I filled the resevoir. Im going to wait about an hour before I put it back together. Ive got it on my concrete driveway so I should see a leak. If I dont then ill put it all back together and ride it for a while then park it back on concrete to see what I come up with.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 11:38 AM

Check your oil. May be leaking into the crank case. Blown head gasket is usually the suspect for the two symptoms you describe.
Falconc likes this.

2014 Raptor 700R, Racers Edge tuned 734 Big Bore, CP 12.5:1 piston, Web 4 cam, 54mm Billet throttle body, +2 +2 KW valves/springs, HPS SS XP2 head, Monster Big Bore Duals, MSD fuel controler, Milers custom radiator, ProTaper handlebars, AVS Pro's, ODI grips, Alba Racing nerfs, Alba front bumper, Pro Armor rear grab bar, Custom tripple rate Jogaca shocks, ITP rims, Maxxis Razr XC's, 21" 9 paddle Skat Trak Extremes for the dunes!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 12:55 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
You might need a new plug now. Wire brushing will leave minute metal particles on the insulator that may cause misfire.
Falconc likes this.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
K guys. Thanks for the replies. After avout an hour I had no leaks. So I put it all back together. I rode for a solid 1.5 hours and the level in the resevoir never changed. I also checked the oil. While high it appears to be just oil. Also when wire brushing I did it in the kitchen sink under water so hopefully that helped with the metal particles. Im wondering if my issue was a low radiator in the beginning. I never checked. We will be riding this evening when the kids get home so I will keep you posted.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I take that back. It seems to have dropped about a 1/2 inch in the reservoir.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 04:47 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Just keep adding and watching for leaks. Check your oil again ensuring nothing has gotten there. Keep us posted.
Falconc likes this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Will do morphrider. When I rode it again it was back to the line were I originally filled too. Maybe heating and cooling. Anyways keeping a close eye on it.
morphrider likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well yhis morning the coolant appears to be about an inch lower than the max fill line. Again may just be cooler temps but I decided that since I just bought it and im going to the parts store today for some grease Im gonna pick up some oil and change it. Only real way to get a look at yhe oil. Also gonna go ahead and start shopping for gasket kits to have on hand just in case. Are there any brands to stay away from?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 07:45 AM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Try to find OEM for gasket kits, that should be just fine.
Falconc likes this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode