5Likes
  • 2 Post By morphrider
  • 2 Post By xMOWERYx
  • 1 Post By morphrider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2012 Chevy Cruze about to take a trip to the stealership

This car has been pretty good to me but I've always had an issue with how slow it warms up. It has a 1.4L 4 cylinder and absolutely takes forever to warm up. In the winter the ambient air will cool off the engine faster than it can produce heat.

Well lately It seems to be worse so I done some research and was told it could be a gunked up heater core. Which made sense I've noticed a sweet smell from time to time.

Well a couple more weeks go by and I just start noticing the smell more and more and it's been developing a film on the windshield. And the coolant level in the reservoir has dropped.

My original plan was just to flush the heater core backwards, so I bought a small little hose adapter kit to help me do it. Well I've decided as of tonight that It's just going to have to be replaced. Going to have them do a pressure test which it will probably pass, then they will tell me that it's not necessary to replace it. Thennn I'm gonna have to explain that heat expands and contracts the materials. Because I notice the smell more on 50 degree days. Yadyadyaya

I'd rather just let it sit at a good local shop and be fixed, but I gotta have a car and the dealership usually lets me leave with a loaner until they fix my stuff. Closest dealer is an hour away from my house, so i usually just sit and wait for stuff to be fixed. But the heater core is gonna take a while so hopefully they'll send me home with a nice loaner.

Apparently inhaling coolant fumes for long periods of time can cause kidney damage. So I wanna get this all fixed. Plus I'm tired of having to wipe the inside of the windshield. Maybe after the heater core is replaced my heater will work better *fingers crossed*

(Thor) 2016 Raptor 700r SE
11.1 CP Piston, HC3, Cuervo Racing +3 TB, Gutted Big Guns EXO, Pro Design Foam Intake, AIS Delete, PCV & Autotune with Cuervo Timing Curve, Driveline Performance HD Clutch, GBC XC Master Tires, Trail Tech Vapor With Billet Mount, Powermadd Star Series Hand Guards, ODI Rogue Grips, Custom Grab Bar, Pro Armor Bully Guard, Pro Armor Full Skids, TM Designworks Poly Case Saver, Auxbeam 12'' LED Light Bar, Front & Rear Shock Rebuild by Jogaca
Authorized Amsoil Dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:31 AM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Definite sounds of bad heater core. Have not had to replace one of those in years thankfully...
Andon Jones and xMOWERYx like this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah. I've helped replace one on a truck a few years back. It's just the placement of the heater core that makes it such a long process to replace. And with this car not having a lot of room to work with, I decided not to even attempt it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

11.1 CP Piston, HC3, Cuervo Racing +3 TB, Gutted Big Guns EXO, Pro Design Foam Intake, AIS Delete, PCV & Autotune with Cuervo Timing Curve, Driveline Performance HD Clutch, GBC XC Master Tires, Trail Tech Vapor With Billet Mount, Powermadd Star Series Hand Guards, ODI Rogue Grips, Custom Grab Bar, Pro Armor Bully Guard, Pro Armor Full Skids, TM Designworks Poly Case Saver, Auxbeam 12'' LED Light Bar, Front & Rear Shock Rebuild by Jogaca
Authorized Amsoil Dealer

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well got to the dealer at 8 am. Took them until 9 am to test it even though a blind man could tell the heater core was out. Then they don't have the part so they said it would be noon until they got the part. And then took about 4 hours for them to replace. So basically had to leave my car for 8 hours. Which wouldn't be as bad but they don't do loaner cars. At least not for younger people because I overheard and older gentlemen get a new Malibu on loan since they were changing his oil. Luckily my brother came up and picked me up and we did a bunch of errands. Seems to be fixed. Heater definitely works better and I don't smell coolant anymore

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
morphrider and Andon Jones like this.

Authorized Amsoil Dealer
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 07:02 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Things always take twice as long as it should with any dealer, even oil changes.
xMOWERYx likes this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode