ATV for the wife...fairly particular, she is... - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By morphrider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
ATV for the wife...fairly particular, she is...

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some advice regarding a new (new to her/us, at least) atv for my wife. She currently rides my Arctic Cat XR 700 XT EPS (what a dumb name) and it's simply too big for her. While it rides like floating on a cloud and has a pretty beefy 4x4 system as well as being an automatic and having power steering...she just can't do any woods/trail riding with it, which happens to be my favorite type of riding.

Her criteria is simple enough, but the market, well, doesn't exist to my knowledge...at least anything recent with EFI. Another challenge is that she doesn't really know how to ride, at all.

Anyway - The List:
small(er) / light (er) - anything smaller than Big Red, where you can't even see the front tires, much less anything multiple feet on the ground in front of you...
4x4
automatic
"sporty" which I feel she really just meant smaller / lighter...but...lets explore all options
EFI - that's from me, as I don't really enjoy playing with carbs. Not that I can't...I just dislike doing it haha. but it isn't a "must".

That's really the main criteria. some thoughts
Teach her how to shift (haha) on any of the 400's that run with us. that would be ideal, but she has a hard enough time with just gas/brakes/turning I really don't think she can handle shifting at the same time. so that's a pipe dream for now.
Yam Wolverine 450. None of the ones I've found in a 300 mile radius are EFI (idk if the last few model years were or not), but they are pretty rare and lots of "i know what i've got" type of listings...
Kaw Brute Force 300. not a 4x4, but a small / light machine at least. Brand new are like 3k so that helps too.
Can Am renegade 570. pricey, esp for the cheaper built 570, but kind of ticks all the boxes
Pol Scrambler 850. pricey. a polaris. and not small / light. this one is very very low on the list but I kind of selfishly want one haha
AC XC 450. it's a Kymco Maxxer 450i and I've only seen a few...the quality is questionable to me, although I've never owned/ridden

ANY of the smaller cc atvs from Honda / Kaw / Yam. I simply don't know enough about new utility atv's, but when I was growing up and learning to ride, the Kawi Bayou 300 2x4 was sporty enough for me. Granted, I wasn't an adult either so she'll need something with a little more grunt, as she's 5'10" 160-170ish(depending on what weekly diet she's on). I know she said "something sporty, like you guys have" but maybe simply something much smaller than the seemingly giant 700 would do. We'll have to check some out, but I'd like to narrow it down if possible beforehand.

Advice is appreciated. At this point I feel like I'm shopping for a bottle of wine in a liquor warehouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:47 AM
If you don't wreck, you don't ride

The only ones that come to mind are the scrambler and renegade that you listed.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwinlied View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some advice regarding a new (new to her/us, at least) atv for my wife. She currently rides my Arctic Cat XR 700 XT EPS (what a dumb name) and it's simply too big for her. While it rides like floating on a cloud and has a pretty beefy 4x4 system as well as being an automatic and having power steering...she just can't do any woods/trail riding with it, which happens to be my favorite type of riding.

Her criteria is simple enough, but the market, well, doesn't exist to my knowledge...at least anything recent with EFI. Another challenge is that she doesn't really know how to ride, at all.

Anyway - The List:
small(er) / light (er) - anything smaller than Big Red, where you can't even see the front tires, much less anything multiple feet on the ground in front of you...
4x4
automatic
"sporty" which I feel she really just meant smaller / lighter...but...lets explore all options
EFI - that's from me, as I don't really enjoy playing with carbs. Not that I can't...I just dislike doing it haha. but it isn't a "must".

That's really the main criteria. some thoughts
Teach her how to shift (haha) on any of the 400's that run with us. that would be ideal, but she has a hard enough time with just gas/brakes/turning I really don't think she can handle shifting at the same time. so that's a pipe dream for now.
Yam Wolverine 450. None of the ones I've found in a 300 mile radius are EFI (idk if the last few model years were or not), but they are pretty rare and lots of "i know what i've got" type of listings...
Kaw Brute Force 300. not a 4x4, but a small / light machine at least. Brand new are like 3k so that helps too.
Can Am renegade 570. pricey, esp for the cheaper built 570, but kind of ticks all the boxes
Pol Scrambler 850. pricey. a polaris. and not small / light. this one is very very low on the list but I kind of selfishly want one haha
AC XC 450. it's a Kymco Maxxer 450i and I've only seen a few...the quality is questionable to me, although I've never owned/ridden

ANY of the smaller cc atvs from Honda / Kaw / Yam. I simply don't know enough about new utility atv's, but when I was growing up and learning to ride, the Kawi Bayou 300 2x4 was sporty enough for me. Granted, I wasn't an adult either so she'll need something with a little more grunt, as she's 5'10" 160-170ish(depending on what weekly diet she's on). I know she said "something sporty, like you guys have" but maybe simply something much smaller than the seemingly giant 700 would do. We'll have to check some out, but I'd like to narrow it down if possible beforehand.

Advice is appreciated. At this point I feel like I'm shopping for a bottle of wine in a liquor warehouse.
Texttron made a 400/450 4x4 sport quad that I thought was nice. I believe it was all automatic and efi. It was set up more as sport versus utility.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:43 PM

Kfx 700? Not 4x4 but definitely sporty. Probably too sporty if she's not very experienced.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Joagaca suspension,gytr frame skid,yfz calipers,powermadd hand guards,prodesign shifter,fasst flexx bars,rox risers,t.m. design chain guide,+2 lonestar swinger,billet dash,x-rex rears, klaw xc fronts,ebay bumper,prodesign case saver,primary drive sprockets and chain, all balls wheel bearings,+2+1 lonestar a-arms,+2 g force axle,vitos jet kit,ac pro peg nerf,amradillo swinger skid,sparks exhaust,prodesign intake,foam filter,outterwear,no lid

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:07 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
If I was to get another machine for us it would be the Grizzly 700. Same motor as the Raptor, not sporty but uber reliable.
tattooo likes this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:53 AM

Have you tried to teach her how to clutch/shift on yours at all? My wife had no idea how, I taught her on the Raptor, and she wanted a sport quad for herself. I ended up getting a low hour 2008 Suzuki Z400. Great bike.

06' 700 SE
-Pro Taper/ Odi/ ASV-
-Jogaca-
-GT Thunder-
-Alba-
-Lonestar-
-Streamline-
-Precision-
-IMS/Roll-
-PC5-
-HMF-
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:41 AM
Lifetime VIP

Garage
I would suggest the scrambler 400. I bought a new one when they first came out. Had a blast on it for a couple of years. Very easy to operate.

I tried teaching my wife how to shift on our Raptor 350.....I'm changing the clutch today...

15 Raptor 700R
02 Raptor 660
05 Raptor 350
11 Raptor 125
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:55 AM

My 59 yr old wife rides a Suzuki LTZ 400 and she loves it. Her first quad. She has been riding street and dirt bikes since she was a kid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode