Raptor Forum banner

How To: Remove PB Sensor

92K views 126 replies 61 participants last post by  Jp2c+ 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, first locate the left headlight, it looks like this.

Take the headlight off and follow the wire from the top of the clutch perch down inside and tug on it while watching the wires, you should see and white plug with 2 wires going into it behind the bracket that supports the radiator. Unplug it, you should now see this. The plug is outlined in yellow and pink.

On my quad, I took the whole wire off the thing. To do this you need to remove hood, then undo the 2 wire clamps, 1 on handle bars, 1 by steering stem. Now on top of the sensor at the perch, you need to push in a tang and pull at the same time to remove it, now pull it out and put the wire clamps back on and put it all back together. The wire you took off should look like this.

Your done, enjoy your riding free of engine cutting out.

Some people get confused reading the rest of the thread...THE ONLY THING YOU NEED TO DO IS UNPLUG THE SENSOR. DO NOT WIRE ANYTHING BACK TOGETHER, REMOVE THE PLUG AND STOP.

See less See more
#3 ·
I know, im awesome 8)

#6 ·
i dont know wtf i did but i did this exactly and it still ran like shit. so i put it all back together and it wont even start now. i have checked the fuses, changed the spark plug, everything i can think of and nothing.????? :help:

#8 ·
Unless you have small hand, you have to remove headlight and how hard is two 10mm bolts?

#9 ·
i took my headlight off and made sure i unplugged the right one probably a 1000 times now. i dont know what i did. :3question:

#15 ·
adustyhammer said:
Hey Maddog how would I know if there is a parking brake limiter? I have an 05 and am curious. Thanks.
My guess is that if you've got the plug going into the clutch perch you've probably got the limiter. Check out the sticky and see if you have the wires in question.

#16 ·
i pulled the white plug and it apparently controls the clutch. would not start in gear with the clutch pulled. i gave up looking for the bullet connections. i really can't figure out which ones they are. since i'm not having troubles with the pb yet i chose to let it go for now.

#17 ·
You never broke a connection, you just pulled the sensor out making it think the clutch is always out, when you pull the clutch in, it pushes the head in completing the circuit and telling it to turn over. If there is not a wire going into the parking brake, then you do not have the sensor.

#18 ·
so ive seen conflicting info here. am i mistaken in thinking that i can just cut the PB sensor off and tie the two wires together? or do i want to do the opposite and disconnect the white plug.... which i did find last night???? :3question: :3question: :3question:

#19 ·
My raptor is a 05 and yesterday I removed the PB Sensor, first I disconnected the white plug and there was no results. So I cut the sensor and tied both wires together and BINGO the problem is fixed. Now I can start in any gear as long as I am holding the clutch to avoid damage.

#20 ·
Mad Fox said:
My raptor is a 05 and yesterday I removed the PB Sensor, first I disconnected the white plug and there was no results. So I cut the sensor and tied both wires together and BINGO the problem is fixed. Now I can start in any gear as long as I am holding the clutch to avoid damage.
where did you cut the sensor? at the perch? still trying to figure this out. had it apart today and still the same results.

#21 ·
Mad Fox said:
Im not sure about 2005 with pb sensor and etc. but you didnt do anything to the pb sensor, you bypassed the clutch/neutral sensor that keeps it from starting in gear or without clutch disengaged. I know on every year from 2001-2004 for sure that you do not connect the two wires together, you just unplug the connector to disengage the switch.

#25 ·
The PB sensor is a sensor on the parking brake at the handle bars that tells the CDI box when the pb is on and when it is off, the sensor is very sensitive to movement and will sometimes screw up at the most inconveinent times. When the CDI thinks the parking brake is engaged, it kills the ignition around 2000 rpms keeping the atv from moving, the point in removing it is so you have no problems when your out hillclimbing or jumping where throttle and timing are most important and the sensor is most likely to fail and one slip up could cause disaster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.