R1 raptor paddles - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

R1 raptor paddles

I have 15/55 gearing what's a good size paddle? Looking at some 16 paddle ultra lites but thinking they might be too big... This is my first liter quad any help will be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Lifetime VIP

R1 paddles

I will start by saying that I not have an R1 raptor but have raced a few and have read everything I could find on the subject before I bought my tires. I have a ZX14 powered raptor. From what I read from other R1 members on the forum the best paddles they found were the 10 or 12 paddle skat trak extremes or haulers, I believe 22" with rollout around 72". If you decide to go that route I have a set of 22/11/9 haulers 12 paddle triple buffs with raptor bolt pattern that I will be selling. I tried the 10 paddles, not enough, and the 12 paddles are not enough for my torque and weight.
I know a lot of people have posted that the R1's post big hp numbers but they do lack torque in comparison to the 1300 plus cc motors like the hayabusa and zx14. It seems the R1's really need to get waaaay up in the rpms to find their power. That is why I wouldn't go much more than the 12 paddles. Your 55 tooth sprocket is a good choice in my opinion, but I run a 60 tooth so I make a boatload of torque. I know at least 2 other R1 members here tried some 24" 14 paddles and sold them to go back down to the 22" 12 paddles. Of course your swingarm length, and the type of sand and dampness of the sand all matter as well. Realistically, a person could justify 3 different sets of paddles to optimize a quads performance such as yours. (Good luck getting the wife to sign off on that purchase).
Congrats on the quad, what I have found is that you won't be the fastest, as I am not either, but dam it is fun when the power rolls in and you hook up. Can you say "Roost!!!" Those dam built banshees are light and quick, but they don't go riding out in the dunes, just live 300ft at a time. I don't know if yours is set up for duning but I drive mine everywhere, gravel roads, trails, dunes and drags. Don't get me wrong I don't trail very fast and only on my groomed trails. But nobody wants a piece of my ass in a race across the hayfield or down the gravel road. Enjoy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:43 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Damn flame fighter, that does sound like an insanely fun sand machine.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 11:05 PM
Lifetime VIP

It is

Little Sahara snake hunt 2013. It is dam fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130406_162009_34705.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	76585  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Lifetime VIP

I am the one out front.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode