Raptor Forum banner

My Raptor 1000 build...

41K views 56 replies 30 participants last post by  TLR 
#1 ·
I thought i'd share my on going ( 10 months and counting) project...

So last year I bought a 02 Raptor and completely dissasembled it and sold most of the parts off of it except a few bits that I wanted. I did some measuring and found that with "a little work" it wouldnt be too bad to get a GSXR 1000 motor to fit pretty good. I am using dual radiators so there is no worry of overheating ( well for the most part). The exhaust does hang below the frame by about 2-3" but i'm not slamming the bike to the ground and its mostly just for sand use so i'm not that worried.

So after all the BS of tearing it apart and selling off most of the guts this is what I have come to have sitting around. Its not done yet but I hope to have it finished in the next week or 2 for a trip to the dunes next month.

I am just finishing up the wiring, fuel tank, and then I have to make the swing arm and thats about it...

a few of my goals for this build was to be able to keep the factory air box assembly as many of these "conversions" I have seen were hacked up and did not have the intended performance. I also wanted to mod the plastics and try to keep the more "stock" look to it.

here are a few pics of the progression I've taken.

See less See more
#3 ·
Here it is with a free set of blue plastics (the ones that are for the bike are black)

Here is how it was a month ago. I now have it mostly apart finishing the last few bits.

The stock swing arm was cut and had a piece of AL welded in there for now, just so i can get some measurements and placement for most of the parts. I have a chromoly one that I will be building shortly.

#4 ·
Thats gonna be a sleeper for sure ! What dunes are you gonna be testing her on?

#6 ·
I live in WA so pretty much anything from Oregon to ST anthony's. I used to live in Phoenix and go to Glamis every month. within 1-3 hrs of me there are 3 good dunes, Beverly, Moses lake, and Juniper Dunes. I wanted to go to Dune Fest in Florence but I've been busy at work.

#9 ·
ZOMG no breaks !!!!!

Looks awesome man !!! Keep it up, make sure you take pics when it is finished ... maybe a video ? ??

#10 ·
I got a Go cam to mount to the bike for some cool vids for sure. I will try to take some pics this weekend too.

I have 06 YFZ brakes for it but I just havent put them on yet...

I'm also probobly going to pull the twist throttle off and put the thumb throttle on it. I dont want to kill myself the first time riding it :D

I've been trying to find other custom builds people have done but never really found much.

#14 ·
DAMN that thing is fast!

#19 ·
Its actually not all that bad. I have the bike setup pretty good so the front end doesnt just fly up at your face whenever you hit the throttle. you pretty much gotta be at WOT above 10,000rpms to get the front end to come up without thinkin about it.

I'm still trying to clean everything up so it looks even less hacked up.

#18 ·
Whole thing looks cool as can be. Watched the vids and it looks awesome. I want 1 also....lol
I love the look, it isnt all chopped up like most.

#23 ·
I have had it on a few dirt trails and gravel pits before and its actually easy to ride. Turns very easy, doesnt feel any different really than a "normal" quad. just throws dirt and rocks everywhere easier....

Looks sweet...to bad your not close enough to go to Glamis. I would like to see you take a run up Oldsmobile.
I used to go to glamis all the time from 01-03 when I lived in AZ. I hope maybe next year I can make it down there some time.

I got a new chain for it and a few other little bits that i'm going to fix before i have any problems with them. I think we're going back out again in about 4 weeks....

#22 ·
Looks sweet...to bad your not close enough to go to Glamis. I would like to see you take a run up Oldsmobile.

#25 ·
holy crap the R1 raptor is LONG and it has a huge swingarm, is that swingarm homemade??

looks kinda scary actually.

Id love to do this one day but i wanna keep it as original as possible so its nice and short. I do trail riding so exhausts hitting rocks are a huge issue since the trail is full of rocks.

I keep on looking at builds and they all freak me out at how big they get.

Still havent found a spare 660 frame here in canada or a rolling chassis 660 or yfz450

#29 ·
Its a custom built tank made from .063 5052. Its about 3.8 gallons. It fits between the throttles and the seat.

I actually currently have the bike all torn apart, cleaning, tweaking, and painting the frame. I also have the motor apart going through it. Doing some head work, larger cams, and a few other bits. Hope to get it closer to 200whp up from the 170ish whp that it was. I will post up some pics next week of the progress.

I'll be down at coos bay the last week of march if anyone wants to meet up. I got a whole bunch of people heading down from WA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.