Project raptor R1000 swap. 700 frame - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardmata View Post
for me deciding how I was going to modify the frame and re brace things was the most difficult, I wanted to make sure everything was done the best way I could do it and not look cheesy.... but once I was able to wrap my head around what I needed to do the fun like you said begin, cutting, grinding and welding.

what size and type of tubing are you using?? are you MIG or TIG welding it??

What are you doing for the rear shock?
Um we will be tig welding everything.
im not sure on the shock yet. i'm waiting to get the bike on the ground so i can measure how low it will be. if i have enough room i will be using the KW spring kit. you can only get the spring kit from the UK. i have already talked to the rep of KW suspension over there and he just said let him know when i'm ready for them and he will ship them over.

Bone stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Well we have been hard at it the last two night. getting as much done as possible with what part's i have. still waiting for stuff to show up. but we did make some good progress.

Last night we started bending some of the lower frame up to get an idea of what its going to look like. Keep in mind we have never built anything like this and we are building it how we want it. there are main different build threads on the net for stuff like this. but we did things kinda different like every other build. i really want to keep this bike looking as stock as possible. not cutting the plastic's. if i could have built this bike without cutting the frame it would have been great. but as we know this motor doesn't fit without some modification. i really wanted to keep the lower frame as close to the motor as possible.

so here is some pic's of what we got done last night. everything was just tacked until we found out where we wanted everything.

Bone stock for now
post #13 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Heres some pic's of the what we got done tonight. all the fabbing on the frame is mostly done beside's we are going to add a upper support to tie in the top of the frame with the top of the motor.

But at this point I will get all the suspension put back on the frame and get it on the ground as a roller. then the frame will get its final welding.

heres how its still as of right now.

Bone stock for now

post #14 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 PM

I love how it looks stock. Compared to some hybrids with giant supports everywhere. Looks like a really clean build.
post #15 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 02:18 AM

what kind of a bender did you use?

post #16 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
what kind of a bender did you use?
It's just one of the cheap benders that have the 2 rollers on it and then the big bottle jack in the middle. My buddy ordered a really nice bender 2 weeks ago but it hasn't showed up yet so we figured we would give this one a try. it did a decent job for what it is. no big budget build here. but i'm not cutting corners either. trying to make the frame as strong as we can.

Bone stock for now
post #17 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rappy'97 View Post
I love how it looks stock. Compared to some hybrids with giant supports everywhere. Looks like a really clean build.
Thanks were tryin to keep it clean but also strong at the same time. we have never built anything like this so it's all new to us. quite fun really. i could have bought a bike already built but what's the fun in that.

Bone stock for now
post #18 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnss View Post
It's just one of the cheap benders that have the 2 rollers on it and then the big bottle jack in the middle. My buddy ordered a really nice bender 2 weeks ago but it hasn't showed up yet so we figured we would give this one a try. it did a decent job for what it is. no big budget build here. but i'm not cutting corners either. trying to make the frame as strong as we can.
I hear ya, I wish I could shell out 300-400 for a nice bender but a $100 or so harbor freight one sounds pretty tempting

post #19 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I hear ya, I wish I could shell out 300-400 for a nice bender but a $100 or so harbor freight one sounds pretty tempting
Yeah it might work pretty decent. I was really surprised how well our bends turned out with this bender we used. It wasn't a high dollar one. If I was closer to you id let you use this one. This was the first time I had ever used a bender they work pretty slick. Ill probably buy a really nice one after the R1 project is over.

Bone stock for now
post #20 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 03:36 PM

Are you going to leave the stock graphics on there? I was wondering... What if you could have some custom graphics made that look like stock Yamaha graphics but say Raptor 1000r? Just a crazy thought I came up with...

'00 Yamaha Blaster

FMF Gold Pipe
Powercore II
Vforce III
No airbox
UNI Pod Filter
Jetted
Oil Injection Blocked Off
Pro-Action Rear Shock
ITP Wheels With Holeshots 19' (front)
Douglas Wheels With Bazookas 18' (rear)
DG Nerf Bars
Fly Handlebars

More to Come...

Last edited by RaptorsForever; 03-07-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode