Project raptor R1000 swap. 700 frame - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Project raptor R1000 swap. 700 frame

Ok well i bought this bike all stock a month ago. It's a 2007 raptor 700 SE. there was nothing wrong with it. It ran great but i was looking for more power. so out came the stock 700 motor and it was sold to a member here. so i picked up a 07 R1 motor kit with 6500 miles on it and now the project has started.

07 raptor 700 frame
07 yamaha R1000 motor kit

heres some picture of the progress picture from tonight. i just started cutting the frame tonight to get the motor to fit. i will be building a table and jig to hold the frame and motor this upcoming weekend. let the fun begin.

i want to keep this beast looking stock a possible and just enjoy it when it's all complete.

heres the bike the day i picked it up.

here it is getting ripped down.

bare frame. waiting for parts to show up.

i got the motor into the stock uncut frame but that just wasn't gonna fly. it sit's way to high in the frame.

so we cut the frame tonight and got the motor to fit nice. now i'm waiting to start bending the lower frame rail's to get it all mocked up and back together.

plenty of room for some mini air filter's

Bone stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
=Shawnss;1020215]Ok well i bought this bike all stock a month ago. It's a 2007 raptor 700 SE. there was nothing wrong with it
lol, I love it, nothing wrong with it owned it a month.... time for a R1 swap!!

Last edited by richardmata; 03-02-2012 at 04:42 PM.
post #3 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 03:54 AM

Did u cut the oil pan or is that table cut so the pan can sit down below the table while working on the bike? Looks good hVe fun on the swingRm work.

R u gonna keep it all stock in the back?

Slo7hundo

2006 yammy raptor 700r (currently) boasting a Hot Rods stroker cam, high compression pistons, and port polished heads with exhaust and k&n filter. pc5, fuel injection is a beautiful thing!

in progress: 2005 ZX10 engine install

post #4 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo7hundo View Post
Did u cut the oil pan or is that table cut so the pan can sit down below the table while working on the bike? Looks good hVe fun on the swingRm work.

R u gonna keep it all stock in the back?
Nope didn't cut the table or oil pan. thats just how the oil pan's are. they are just low. I ordered a +8 swing arm should be here this week. it's slow going right now just waiting for parts to show up.

What do you mean have fun with the swing arm work?

Bone stock for now

Last edited by Shawnss; 03-04-2012 at 08:46 AM.
post #5 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Picked up a tubing bender yesterday so i can finish the frame. I'm about to make another big parts order so after everything show's up the build will start moving a lot faster.

Bone stock for now
post #6 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnss View Post
Nope didn't cut the table or oil pan. thats just how the oil pan's are. they are just low. I ordered a +8 swing arm should be here this week. it's slow going right now just waiting for parts to show up.

What do you mean have fun with the swing arm work?
Just that u will have to work to get the front and rear sprockets lined up. I recommend Don't weld ur motormounts in place and bolt the motor up until u get the rear swinger in and have the rear sprocket on. Otherwise u may and up having to
Break welds and reposition the motor. They have to line up or it will eat ur sprocket and chain alive. Most pe0ple use a yard stick or laser to line them up

Slo7hundo

2006 yammy raptor 700r (currently) boasting a Hot Rods stroker cam, high compression pistons, and port polished heads with exhaust and k&n filter. pc5, fuel injection is a beautiful thing!

in progress: 2005 ZX10 engine install
post #7 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo7hundo View Post
Just that u will have to work to get the front and rear sprockets lined up. I recommend Don't weld ur motormounts in place and bolt the motor up until u get the rear swinger in and have the rear sprocket on. Otherwise u may and up having to
Break welds and reposition the motor. They have to line up or it will eat ur sprocket and chain alive. Most pe0ple use a yard stick or laser to line them up
Ok thanks. yeah i knew i had to get them lined up. i'm was just hoping the new swing arm would show up last week. so i could get everything lined up. but i went ahead a put the stocker back on today to get the sprockets inline.

Bone stock for now
post #8 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnss View Post
Ok thanks. yeah i knew i had to get them lined up. i'm was just hoping the new swing arm would show up last week. so i could get everything lined up. but i went ahead a put the stocker back on today to get the sprockets inline.
I did the same thing too, it doesn't matter if you swing arm is stock length or +10 it's still spaced the same from the axle so you can get your motor set and motor mounts made without having your new swing arm made and put on... save some time while you are waiting for it to be built

post #9 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardmata View Post
I did the same thing too, it doesn't matter if you swing arm is stock length or +10 it's still spaced the same from the axle so you can get your motor set and motor mounts made without having your new swing arm made and put on... save some time while you are waiting for it to be built
yep. i pretty much finished ordering all the part's i'm going to need. it should look like christmas at the end of this week. so after everything show's up it should start to go together pretty quick. we should get all the lower frame welded up tomorrow night. then its motor mount time. i really just enjoy mocking up stuff.

Bone stock for now
post #10 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 AM

for me deciding how I was going to modify the frame and re brace things was the most difficult, I wanted to make sure everything was done the best way I could do it and not look cheesy.... but once I was able to wrap my head around what I needed to do the fun like you said begin, cutting, grinding and welding.

what size and type of tubing are you using?? are you MIG or TIG welding it??

What are you doing for the rear shock?

Last edited by richardmata; 03-05-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode