Raptor Forum banner

Spark Plug Keep Fouling NEED HELP

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  418Stroker 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first thread post. I have a issue that has been bugging me for sometime now and i really NEED help with it. I live in the Caribbean on a small island named GRENADA. I have a 2014 Raptor 700, i brought it used from a friend of mines. Everything was stock except the big gun evo slip on exhaust which had a leak around the rivets but it ride well with no issues, no poping.
After about 8 months or so I replaced the exhaust with a brand new identical big gun slip on (THIS IS WHERE MY PROBLEMS STARTED). After that i started poping and breaking up at times when riding, one time i realized the poping was so bad that i decided to check my spark plug, result was that it was black (not with oil) so I cleaned it with a wire brush and all was good again.

So i researched this and everything indicated that i needed a fuel controller when adding a performance exhaust like that or else i would be running lean. I researched what color the spark plug would look like if i'm running lean and found out that mines was the total opposite.

I still went ahead a purchased the Big Gun Fuel Controller. Before arrival of it i realized the bike had stop popping (my guess was probably the packing got burned out) the issue with the plug still remain the same tho. I would have to clean & change it ever so often. Installed the fuel controller and same thing. Played around with the setting and backed down the fuel from the recommend settings and same problems still exist. My current setting right now is GR 1, YEL 2, RED 3, YEL BLUE 2, RED BLUE 3. I upgraded the stock air filter to the K & Y thinking that would help but the same thing keep happening (Love the extra kick with it tho). I also know that the 700's run rich on cold start so I don't throttle after about 3 mins or so.

Plug was stock (CR8E) and i even tried the iridium & double electrode plugs (CR8EIX) & (CR8EK) even tried a colder plug (CR9E) ALL GO BLACK EVENTUALLY and will start to foul.

I ordered a repack for the exhaust and awaiting on it to arrive but after that, i'm all out of options.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME I BEG......:crying

Note: We have no dino center here on the island.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum,

So you are running a slip on and K&N air filter. Now to work on the programmer. It will take some time, pack a few plugs with you. There should be a couple guys that are pretty good with that type of controller popping in to see this thread that can help better than I. You will need to go to a track, or wide open field to test changes in each setting.

#3 ·
Hi Morphrider,

Thanks for your response, i actually using a (Pro-Design-Trinity-Racing-Pro-Flow-K-N-Style-Air-Intake-Filter) from ebay. It uses the K & N adapter. But i think my plug issues are not fuel controller related because it started before I installed it.

Patiently waiting on the technical guys in here to help me out.

#4 ·
First thing is to not clean a spark plug with a wire brush, it can leave metal tracking that will cause misfire. Try a tooth brush and solvent.

Raptors without a fuel controller don't run rich and I doubt it's related to a exhaust change. Be sure your air cleaner is clean and not over oiled. Is your oil over full or smell like gas? Change it. You might check the adjustment of the TPS and run some injector cleaner, (twice the suggested amount) as it may not be closing or dirty. I'm leaning towards a leaking injector that isn't closing.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

#5 ·
Noted on cleaning of the spark plugs, Thanks.

Two things overuled is that my air filter is always clean and i upgraded to a brand new hi flow filter and i do often oil change (oil levels are good as well).

How do i go about checking the TPS sensor? As that was never tampered with.

I did put 1 bottle of fuel injector cleaner into a full tank of gas not to long ago but the same result still exist. If injector is leaking, how do i test to make sure?

Thanks for your responses

#6 ·
Adjust the TPS per your manual. No manual, get one from Morphrider. Just send a request and a valid email.

If your air cleaner is over oiled it will run rich.

Pull the injector assembly loose from the throttle body, keeping the wires connected. Wipe dry with a paper towel, then turn key on, but don't start, to prime the pump. The injector should hold pressure without any leakage.

Reactions: morphrider
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.