Autotune Setup Help - Thank you Kevin from JVR and Wobble - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Autotune Setup Help - Thank you Kevin from JVR and Wobble

I ran into an issue this weekend trying to get my autotune and PCV working right. Because this stuff is relatively new there is not a lot of first hand write ups on what to do and what to watch out for. I am putting this down so if anyone else in the future runs a search maybe this will help them out too.

O2 bung location:

I am sure by the time more people get this product there will be more locations but with what was asked from the directions and what I was able to gather from others as an ideal location (6" off the head versus 18" in some cases) I decided to split the difference and installed mine on the clutch side pipe on the inside of the pipe just aft of the heatshield right at the bend. This is about 12.5 -13" inches off the head and there is plenty of room there to conceal it on the inside of the pipe (I like stealth). The wires then can be routed up through the frame and come out right behind the gas tank.

Autotune wiring:

After trying to wire an independent switch to toggle on an off I spoke with Corrie a tech that Kevin from JVR recommended and he said that autotune will be better if left on full time so wiring according to the instructions to a "key on switch" 12 volt source would be fine. The autotune as it was explained to me makes fine tuned adjustments on the fly but the map is not adjusted until you go into the software and accept the trims. Once the trims are accepted the map is adjusted then all you do is send the NEW map to the PCV. So for those like myself that cannot read wiring diagrams fluently the best wire for this is actually located at the fuse box in the back of the quad. As suggested by Wobble from this forum the brown wire with the yellow stripe is the one you want for power. A simple wire tap via a splice connector or similar and your done. For the ground there is enough to reach to the negative terminal on the battery, done there.

Usage:

I found success with using a base map close to my mods and loading that to the PCV. Then with your laptop linked up. Go into the software and click on power commander tools and under CONFIGURE you want to select AUTOTUNE. Now with this hardwired into the bike (not using a switch) you first want to ENABLE the autotuner and click the box for time and set it to whenever you want to kick on. DO NOT click on the temperature box if you are not tapped into or using a temp sensor otherwise with out that info it will not turn on. Since this thing will be now running any time the bike is on there is no HARDWARE switch so DO NOT check that box either. Set the trim max/min levels and your done. Turn on your bike, let it warm, go for a ride trying to spiritly get through all of the gears and throttle positions. Try to keep the revs up on the way back to camp and avoid lugging the bike back to avoid inaccurate adjustments. Plug in the old laptop again and on the left click on the TRIM tab and you will see adjustments made in the fields. On the menu bar I think its MAP OPTIONS you can highlight autotune and select ACCEPT trims. It will tell you that the trims will globally affect the base map. Once that is done send that puppy on over and repeat. The idea is the more you adjust, the closer it gets to the target AF ratio for your bike. This target AF though may vary based on your mods so I would still consult with an expert on where this should be for your build.

The end.

I will post some pics when there is better light but for now I hope this helps someone in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	168.JPG
Views:	836
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	39939   Click image for larger version

Name:	169.JPG
Views:	688
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	39940   Click image for larger version

Name:	170.JPG
Views:	691
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	39941   Click image for larger version

Name:	171.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	39942   Click image for larger version

Name:	175.JPG
Views:	595
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	39943  

Yamil Xiscatti likes this.

2007 Raptor 700:
Alba Racing +2 A-Arms, Lonestar Racing Axcaliber Axle
+4 SLC Swinger
FCI Intake
PCV + Autotune
DMC Force 4 Duals
CP 11:1 piston, Megacycle x4, CNC'D Head
+2 valves, KW springs
+5 HR HD crank - balanced
+2 Throttle Body by Kenny, ASV levers
Spark Plug Mod

Last edited by Raptor7hun; 02-09-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Jokers Vault

Joe, glad it worked out for you....

Kevin
JVR

www.JokersVault.com

[email protected]

Where Quality meets the SAND and DIRT!

D-7 Turbo kits.....3+ years building these kits and a 12 month warranty!
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:17 PM

You're welcome! That's what this forum is all about.

Nice write-up too. I'm sure that will help out many readers in the future.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:30 PM
VIP

Thanks for sharing the PCV info I am going to make this a sticky

post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 09:45 PM

So to understand what the tech said, that you should leave it in learn mode all the time?
I usuall do about 5 to 6 passes full throttle through all gears to 148 km/h . At the end of each run I would toggle learn off till I got back to the laptop. Is my method ineffective?

2006 Raptor
+3 TB
FCI w / box
Barker Duals
PCV + Auto
Dyna prog
11:1
HC2
Evac
Elka 3 stabilizer
FLEXX bars-tweaked stem
23/22 razr2 all round on SS112's

Have US PO box for shipped stuff, 59917.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Lifetime VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatstone View Post
So to understand what the tech said, that you should leave it in learn mode all the time?
I usuall do about 5 to 6 passes full throttle through all gears to 148 km/h . At the end of each run I would toggle learn off till I got back to the laptop. Is my method ineffective?
No thats a great method. You can do it with a toggle switch like you did or do it without one. I prefer to do it that way you said as it is the most accurate. what he is refering to is how to hook up the autotune unit itself. Not the learn mode.

D7 Racing Turbo Build

D7 Dual Injector Kit With External Red Waist Gate, 3" Down Pipe, One Piece Charge Pipe, 778cc, 10.1 JE Piston, Black +2 RE Head With D7 Blendings, Boost Sensing Return Fuel System, DD Ninja Lockout, Fox Floats, +6 Bad Ass Fab Arm, +2 Wicked Arms, And a ton more Performance and Cosmetics....

www.beachbodycoach.com/coachmaczilla23
www.facebook.com/coachcorriemacallister
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to KB Motorsports Send a message via MSN to KB Motorsports
Thanks for sharing your product review and advice!

KB Motorsports
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:21 PM

[QUOTE=KB Motorsports;749913]Thanks for sharing your product review and advice!

+1!
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 09:17 AM
If it's too loud your too old

Great thread! I even understand autotune now.LOL
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatstone View Post
IME, I found the hardware switch to be extremely helpful. When I'm fine tuning my map, I turn on the switch, make a few smooth runs through the gears. On the final run, I then turn off the switch at the top of 4th gear (before hitting rev limiter). This allows me to lug the bike back to camp without the autotune changing the trim levels in the lower RPM's.

I also only allow it to change the numbers by 5-10 in case anything goes wrong. This prevents the autotune from changing the numbers too drastically.

Eventually I got to a point where it wasn't adjusting the trim levels much at all. The bike was running VERY smooth. No popping, sputtering, etc. I then left the hardware switch on and let the autotune do it's thing....small adjustments for environmental changes.

I suggest saving your maps as you progress. This will help you go back a version or two if something should go wrong.

I still believe this is not a replacement for a proper dyno tune though. I purchased the autotune kit last year because I didn't have a dyno tuner close to me. Now that there is one, I intend on letting him work his magic on my new build. Well, after I get it as close as I can with the autotune of course.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode