Raptor Forum banner

2003 660 new stator install

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Cassmanbearcat 
#1 ·
just bought the 2003 660 few weeks ago no spark, got on here read and found by cutting the red wire get spark back, it worked for about 30 min and lost spark again. i ordered new stator off ebay got it in and noticed the wire colors where different the reds where same and same postion on the plug,

new stator has green wire same positon on plug as the old white/red stripe

new stator, blue wire same postion as old white/green stripe

installed new stator fired right up i was happy, i had already cleaned the carbs and set to 3mm clear tube method, reset the valves to proper clearance both intake and exhaust were to tight.
but it ran like crap, idles great, wont run past idle to good it bogs out, pops and sputters...so i thought let me cut the red wire cause i dont need it see if that helps any, cut the red wire and and lost spark, so im like hmmmm thats not supposed to happen, so i reconnect red wire and bike fires right up,

was going to do the reverse switch ground the green/white stripe wire from cdi next to see if that fixed the running bad after idle until i lost spark when i cut the red wire. because what i have read that was not supposed to happen.

so here i am asking what i should do? did i get the wrong stator because the wire colors are differnt? has this happened to any one else when ordering a new stator? im a newbie to this ,like i said just bought the bike never had one before.. Please help thanks...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
If its an aftermarket stator wire colors are not nessessarly the same as OEM Yamaha stator. As long as the wires are in the correct position in the plug then it should be fine. My Electro Sport stator in my raptor only has 2 wires in the square plug. The stator was built with out the rotor rotation circuit.

You don't have to cut wires to unhook them. You can remove a single wire from a plug using a small pick to release the wire / pin.

If it runs then you have spark. I would bet that the running issues is due to something that was done to your raptor between the times it had been ran. This is why its best to only do one thing to your raptor at a time. That way if its worse you know what made it worse.

What kind of stator did you get. RM stator and Ricky Stators are known as junk in the Banshee world. I don't have any experience with them for the Raptor but I wouldn't run one based of my and others Banshee experience.

#5 ·
it will rev but i dont think its full rev but getting there its like boggish and cuts out from 1/4 to full throttle....

just did the rev limit green/white stripe wire to ground and it act about the same...

what compression should i have on this bike if i test it?

when i cut the red wire from new stator and lost spark i assumed the wiring from the stator was wrong thats when i came here and started posting this post,,

do you think the stator wiring is wrong? i didnt think it was supposed to lose spark unless the red wire trick is only on the original stators?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.