Raptor Forum banner

2001 raptor 660 won't start

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  QuadManiac 
#1 ·
Ok here's the deal, I have a raptor 660 that I purchased that wouldn't start. I've put a new battery on it, I'm getting fire to the spark plug I've double checked the timing marks, timing chain is good, had the carbs rebuilt, adjusted the valves and now all the bike does is try to start but blows the carbs off the boots.... I know you're thinking wth, but I eliminated the carb by spraying starting fluid directly into the intake and still NO START!!!! I'm getting fire and gas to the engine so, WHY IS MY BIKE NOT STARTING......

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

#4 ·
An engine needs 3 things to run.
Fuel, spark, and compression.
You have fuel, as you put it directly in the cylinder. That should have been enough make it attempt to start, backfire.
You have a spark timed correctly.
Which leaves compression.
Can be a cheap gasket or full rebuild.

#7 ·
I suspect you have a intake valve problem if it blows the carbs off. A valve that doesn't close, is bent, or stuck will allow compression to blow the carbs off. I would check compression again and compare it with your manual. If you have a spark plug air fitting, presurize the cylinder at TDC and listen at the intake for leakage.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.