Raptor Forum banner

Please help me

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  QuadManiac 
#1 ·
I just got a raptor 660 02 se, wasn’t running when I got it . Put a new battery , new starter clutch and bearing , new starter and starter relay , everything works but when I give it gas it will just spit and sputter . Tried many things like the reverse limiter by splicing it to the negative terminal , and by removing the parking brake entirely . Please help ,

#8 ·
Oh! Welcome to the forum as well!!

helloooo , I’ve been meaning to join one of these forums for the raptor , their fun fast machines man I love them . Once I get this last problem figured out I should be good . My dad was saying that maybe the timing chain got messed up . I was coming down my driveway and I heard an extremely loud backfire from the exhaust so I stopped to see what happened , saw nothing so went on my way but then the spitting and sputtering started . Do you have any idea what happened haha

#10 ·
Man, I read that original post too quick, lol. Ok, spitting and sputtering issues, sounds like a good carb cleaning is due. Run guitar string through the jets to make sure they are not clogged, or thick fishing line..

#12 · (Edited)
It's not likely spark plug, HT wire, coil or CDI or power to them. They all must work to idle and there's no reason to cause them to fail just above idle (unless some connection is intermittent and breaking connection from vibration - not too common).

It is most likely carbs (most ppl don't get all the jets and passages cleaned out well enough), parking brake switch wire (cut green/yellow near the CDI) or reverse switch wire (ground green/white near the CDI)

You rebuilt the carbs? What EXACTLY did you replace and where did you get the parts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.