Raptor Forum banner

Correct ATV for me?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  burntrubber 
#1 ·
I know it's been asked before. I apologize in advance. Have ridden dirtbikes all my life. Now close to 50 and thinking of getting a trail quad. I've ridden quads before, (Moto4, Quadsport 230, Banshee, numerous 250 utility quads). I'm having a hard time deciding on model. I'm a huge Yamaha fan, so lucky they still have sport quads. I'm leaning towards a sport quad. I do love the 700 raptor, but concerned about lugging it around as I do mostly tighter trail riding. Don't mind having more power than I need, but will it harm the quad if I'm riding it at a slower pace at times? Have looked at Yfz450. Love the lower stance, but width works against me. I love being able to slide the rear end around turns under power. Thought?
Personal experiences trail riding the 700 Raptor or Yfz450?
Thanks!
Dave

#3 ·
If the choices are 700 and 450 I'd go with the 700.

I found the 700 to be a great woods bike with lots of bottom end, but still great in the open and dunes. It can be lowered some as well as widened, if needed, with a-arms and axle. Sprockets can be fine tuned for your riding style.

The 450 is more high strung and better on the race track. The bottom end grunt can't compare to the 700, and needs to be in a higher RPM's for the narrower powerband.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

Reactions: Beard_lyfe
#4 ·
I am your age and we have a few fellas much older that will suggest the 700 platform as well. I ride various terrain, a lot of it lugging around. If I am in slow tech stuff i opt for a 13 tooth front sprocket to gear down, making it lug easier (Easy also with stock gearing). The 450 platform is a high maintenance machine from my understanding. Easy break down for you....

Trails - 700
Track - 450

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Bearsixty7
#6 ·
Raptor will be more reliable and last longer and is better for trails however either is great choice. The 450 has a high performance engine and will require more attention. You can putt around with the raptor all you want, or rap it out and it doesn't care. The reverse is not something to overlook either, it is a godsend when you can't lift crap any more.

#7 ·
If the trails are tight the 450 will not work as good, the wider they are also makes them turn wider. The reverse is great on the 700. I get impatient when racing and I have to wait on someone to get off their 450 and push it backwards when they get in a bottleneck or stuck. In all honesty I would like to have both, but would have to narrow the 450 for most of the places I ride.

#10 ·
I went 13 tooth front and 2 teeth larger on the back to get mine geared better for tight trails and rocks AND to be better paced with my son on his 50cc Outlaw back when he started (He's now on a 500) I went to larger rear tires 22" for ground clearance and better overall performance a couple years ago so now I'm closer back to stock gearing overall. It's a great all around machine.

With that said, over Christmas break I rode my wife's Grizzly 700 a couple afternoons and you want to talk about a smooth, plush easy going ride! "Hover craft" like. and with 4x4 it can crawl up about anything. Mash the throttle and the 700 will move you along quite sporty!
I'm over 50 and thinking I might need to sell my Raptor and get a Grizzly. Mixed emotions for sure. The 700 raptor was my dream Quad for a long time.

Reactions: burntrubber
#11 ·
I went 13 tooth front and 2 teeth larger on the back to get mine geared better for tight trails and rocks AND to be better paced with my son on his 50cc Outlaw back when he started (He's now on a 500) I went to larger rear tires 22" for ground clearance and better overall performance a couple years ago so now I'm closer back to stock gearing overall. It's a great all around machine.

With that said, over Christmas break I rode my wife's Grizzly 700 a couple afternoons and you want to talk about a smooth, plush easy going ride! "Hover craft" like. and with 4x4 it can crawl up about anything. Mash the throttle and the 700 will move you along quite sporty!
I'm over 50 and thinking I might need to sell my Raptor and get a Grizzly. Mixed emotions for sure. The 700 raptor was my dream Quad for a long time.
Don't sell the Rappy, you will regret it like I did. I sold both my 700s and a Banchee recently to buy a new home, I was bummed because of that. I hear what you are saying about the Grizzly though, maby you can ride the wifes or pick another one up some day at a good price. I looked for a year locally for a real clean 700 Rappy and could not find one to my liking so bought a new one yesterday. Just turned 65 and loving it, I ride street bikes also. That's me with the grey mustache lol!
Land vehicle All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Motorsport Car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.